Moisture coming out of window air conditioner's vents

Old April 28th 09, 04:51 AM posted to alt.home.repair
PRW

Default Moisture coming out of window air conditioner's vents

We have a window air conditioning unit in one of our windows. It is
mounted tilting downward, which is supposed to ensure that the
moisture produced by the cooling process flows out the back of the
unit. However, since we got this unit about a year and a half ago
(it's out of warranty), and it's doing it again now that we've turned
it on for a few hours, the moisture just pours out of the vents.

When you look inside the vents from the inside, you see a styrofoam
area with an opening in the middle where you can see the fan in the
air conditioning unit. Looking at the unit from the back, from
outside, the styrofoam part is closed off from the working parts of
the air conditioning unit and the back grille.

When the unit is operating, you can sit there and see an enormous
amount of water pool up inside the grilles around the styrofoam area,
I mean an enormous amount. It doesn't appear to have any outlet to run
back to the back of the unit, it certainly doesn't appear to be
running down into the opening to the fan area. It just pools up and
blows out the vent grilles. You can literally hear the thing sloshing.

We have tried everything and it's impossible to mount this unit tilted
any more downward at the back ... you can see the downward slant in
the styrofoam area ... but it continues to blow water out of the
grille to where we have to keep towels on the floor in front of it.
I've even thought of punching holes in the styrofoam to see if that
might help the water stop pooling up in the area around the vents.

Does anyone know what might be going on here, or have any suggestions
for what we might could do to fix this. It's a great air conditioning
unit as far as cooling the small area we use it for, but we're getting
tired of having to clean up water from it.
Old April 28th 09, 10:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair

If you are sure that it is tilted to drain out, you must have a
blocked passage that leads to the out side. Remove the outside cover
and clean it out.

Hank

Old April 28th 09, 11:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair

It is normal for the water to pool up inside the unit. This is part of
the operation. It does not need to drain. It should say in your manual
it is normal.
Old April 28th 09, 12:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 10:51*pm, PRW wrote:
[...]

Is it super humid out, maybe its low on freon
Old April 28th 09, 03:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair

PRW wrote:
[...]

There if often SOME water. The machine slings the condensate against the
condensing coil to further cool it, thereby gaining efficiency. There
should, I would think, be an overflow drain so that all the humidity removed
from your room doesn't flood back in.

I suspect a clogged overflow drain.

See if you can find an exploded drawing of the unit on the web.

I'm also suspicious of the hunk of styrofoam. Are you sure its not part of
the original packing material? That is, does it come out?

Old April 28th 09, 03:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 6:40*am, Mike rock wrote:
It is normal for the water to pool up inside the unit. This is part of
the operation. It does not need to drain. It should say in your manual
it is normal.

In some units the water collects to wet the condenser coil and improve
efficency of the unit. There is a valve on these types that opens if
too much water is collected. This valve may be clogged with dirt or
otherwise defective.

Jimmie
Old April 28th 09, 03:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 6:40´┐Żam, Mike rock wrote:
It is normal for the water to pool up inside the unit. This is part of
the operation. It does not need to drain. It should say in your manual
it is normal.

It is NOT normal for moisture to "pour" out the vents. I don't think
the manual will say that it is. Show me.

Hank
Old April 28th 09, 04:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
snipped

I'm also suspicious of the hunk of styrofoam. Are you sure its not part of
the original packing material? That is, does it come out?

THAT sure seems logical.
Perhaps the OP can find the installation manual.
Old April 28th 09, 09:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Text inserted after my initials....

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"PRW" wrote in message
We have a window air conditioning unit in one of our
windows. It is
mounted tilting downward, which is supposed to ensure that
the
moisture produced by the cooling process flows out the back
of the
unit.

CY: Tilted down and back is good.

However, since we got this unit about a year and a half ago
(it's out of warranty), and it's doing it again now that
we've turned
it on for a few hours, the moisture just pours out of the
vents.

CY: Not good!

When you look inside the vents from the inside, you see a
styrofoam
area with an opening in the middle where you can see the fan
in the
air conditioning unit.

CY: Yes, many AC use styrofoam to surround the fan, and
direct the air flow.

Looking at the unit from the back, from
outside, the styrofoam part is closed off from the working
parts of
the air conditioning unit and the back grille.

CY: Right.

When the unit is operating, you can sit there and see an
enormous
amount of water pool up inside the grilles around the
styrofoam area,
I mean an enormous amount. It doesn't appear to have any
outlet to run
back to the back of the unit, it certainly doesn't appear to
be
running down into the opening to the fan area. It just pools
up and
blows out the vent grilles. You can literally hear the thing
sloshing.

CY: There is supposed to be a drain, that allows the water
to go to the back. The drain is clogged. Different AC have
different designs. You'll have to be creative. Pull off the
decorative face plate from the indoors side of the AC. Try
taking a long wire (electrical ground wire out of Romex is
my favorite). Poke around where the water is pooled up, and
try to find where the water drains to the back. Sometimes
you can clear the dirt and junk out of the drain. Sometimes
a garden sprayer full of water helps you blast the drain
clear.

We have tried everything and it's impossible to mount this
unit tilted
any more downward at the back ... you can see the downward
slant in
the styrofoam area ... but it continues to blow water out of
the
grille to where we have to keep towels on the floor in front
of it.
I've even thought of punching holes in the styrofoam to see
if that
might help the water stop pooling up in the area around the
vents.

CY: Should be a drain already. Just a question of finding
it, and blasting it clear.

Does anyone know what might be going on here, or have any
suggestions
for what we might could do to fix this. It's a great air
conditioning
unit as far as cooling the small area we use it for, but
we're getting
tired of having to clean up water from it.

CY: Look for, and clear the drain. Sometimes a stream of
water from a garden sprayer will help blast the drain clear.

Old April 28th 09, 09:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair

It's often easier to find and clear the drain by removing
the cover. Take the AC out of the window, carry it outdoors.
Take the plastic decorative plate off, and remove about 20
screws, that hold the metal cover (and accordian sides).
With the main metal cover, it's much easier to find the
drain.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus