Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Moisture coming out of window air conditioner's vents

On Apr 27, 10:51 pm, PRW wrote:

We have tried everything and it's impossible to mount this unit tilted
any more downward at the back ... you can see the downward slant in
the styrofoam area ... but it continues to blow water out of the
grille to where we have to keep towels on the floor in front of it.
I've even thought of punching holes in the styrofoam to see if that
might help the water stop pooling up in the area around the vents.

Does anyone know what might be going on here, or have any suggestions
for what we might could do to fix this.

Do not poke any holes in the foam.

I'd put money on a clogged drain. Most units have a sheet metal wrapper
around them. The workings are mounted on a steel plate that is the chassis
and the cover is held on with a bunch of screws. Unless you can see in
from the side you will have to remove the wrapper, find the drain tube or
opening, clear it and re-assemble. Time consuming, but no special skills
needed. The evaporator coil (the inside one) is probably sitting on a foam
tray and the water drains to the rear either through a piece of plastic
tubing or a groove in the molded piece. Dust, algae, leaves, or whatever
could be blocking it.