C. Bailey

Default Moisture coming through Stucco Wall

I just bought a house. The house is 3 years old. It has a stucco exterior.
For the last day, it has been raining with a strong wind (we haven't had a
lot of rain before this). The rain is hitting the walls (normally the eve
protects the walls somewhat). I now have a constant drip from the top of
one of my windows in the basement (walk out basement - drip is about 8 or 9
feet above grade). I pulled the insulation and discovered the plywood is
saturated with water. I inspected the stucco exterior and it appears
normal. I pulled insulation above a couple other windows. The plywood is
slightly damper, but not dry like it should be. Any thoughts as to what the
problem might be?

Is stucco a water proof coating, or is there supposed to be tar paper behind
it?

Chris

Sacramento Dave

"C. Bailey" wrote in message
[...]

It might the wind is pushing the rain over the top of the stucco. I had

this same problem how I fixed it was to caulk were the stucco meet the
overhang, then for added protection I put a 1X2 as trim I also caulked
that.You might try spraying the area with a hose. See if that increases the
drip. There should be tar paper behind stucco It's part of the lath.

Rick

"Sacramento Dave" wrote in message
. ..

"C. Bailey" wrote in message
[...]

If you can find the July 2005 issue of the Journal of Light
Construction, there's a good article called "Why Stucco Walls Got Wet"

It might the wind is pushing the rain over the top of the stucco.

I had
this same problem how I fixed it was to caulk were the stucco meet

the
overhang, then for added protection I put a 1X2 as trim I also

caulked
that.You might try spraying the area with a hose. See if that

increases the
drip. There should be tar paper behind stucco It's part of the lath.

Travis Jordan

C. Bailey wrote:
I just bought a house. The house is 3 years old. It has a stucco
exterior. For the last day, it has been raining with a strong wind

Masonry of all types is not impervious to water. Stucco should be
applied to a wall that has first been prepared by hanging a weather
barrier (felt or tyvek or equivalent) overlaid with wire lath before the
stucco is applied. Even so, the finished stucco is still slightly
permeable.

Paint and elastomeric coatings prevent penetration of water on masonry
surfaces. Many stucco homes are painted with latex acrylic paints, and
are therefore more waterproof. However, during last year's hurricane
season here in Florida it turned out that many newer homes with only one
or two layers of paint still leaked.

Some homes are built with synthetic stucco (dryvit) and moisture
penetration of this material is common.

Norminn

Travis Jordan wrote:
C. Bailey wrote:

I just bought a house. The house is 3 years old. It has a stucco
exterior. For the last day, it has been raining with a strong wind

Masonry of all types is not impervious to water. Stucco should be
applied to a wall that has first been prepared by hanging a weather
barrier (felt or tyvek or equivalent) overlaid with wire lath before the
stucco is applied. Even so, the finished stucco is still slightly
permeable.

Paint and elastomeric coatings prevent penetration of water on masonry
surfaces. Many stucco homes are painted with latex acrylic paints, and
are therefore more waterproof. However, during last year's hurricane
season here in Florida it turned out that many newer homes with only one
or two layers of paint still leaked.

Some homes are built with synthetic stucco (dryvit) and moisture
penetration of this material is common.

The news about wind-driven rain permeating concrete block/stucco was
really interesting. That is what we have. Wind hard enough to drive
water through cb/stucco would also, probably, find all the little
wiggly, unfilled gaps and joints between members. Curious as to the
windspeed when OP's house got wet. A benefit of our hurricane shutters
is probably that we are a lot less likely to get water in closed
windows/patio sliders. Tide surges and flying roofs are enough to
handle ) We had a 5'x15' foot skylight take flight last year, but a
sturdy palm caught it )

Wind here can easily enter roof vents, soffit vents, etc. Our old condo
has lotsa paint, so that is a surprising benefit.