Rick

"Sacramento Dave" wrote in message
. ..

"C. Bailey" wrote in message
news:v49Pe.195233$9A2.129527@edtnps89...
I just bought a house. The house is 3 years old. It has a stucco

exterior.
For the last day, it has been raining with a strong wind (we

haven't had a
lot of rain before this). The rain is hitting the walls (normally

the eve
protects the walls somewhat). I now have a constant drip from the

top of
one of my windows in the basement (walk out basement - drip is

about 8 or
9
feet above grade). I pulled the insulation and discovered the

plywood is
saturated with water. I inspected the stucco exterior and it

appears
normal. I pulled insulation above a couple other windows. The

plywood is
slightly damper, but not dry like it should be. Any thoughts as

to what
the
problem might be?

Is stucco a water proof coating, or is there supposed to be tar

paper
behind
it?

Chris

If you can find the July 2005 issue of the Journal of Light
Construction, there's a good article called "Why Stucco Walls Got Wet"

It might the wind is pushing the rain over the top of the stucco.

I had
this same problem how I fixed it was to caulk were the stucco meet

the
overhang, then for added protection I put a 1X2 as trim I also

caulked
that.You might try spraying the area with a hose. See if that

increases the
drip. There should be tar paper behind stucco It's part of the lath.