Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sump pump backflow?

I moved into my house durring this winter and now going through spring
thaw, it has also been raining for 3 days straight and now the sump pump
in my basement that I have not had any issues with before is backing up.
My utility sink and washer both drain into the sump pump crock so the pump
runs frequently and has never backed up before. I checked it out to see if
the float was maybe lodged on something and it seems fine. I started
taking the water out and emptying it into a bucket but no matter how much
water I take out of the crock the water doesnt get any lower. So I sat and
watched to see what the pump was doing. It will kick on and I can here the
water draining through a pipe in the basement wall but it will only run
for about a minute and drains about 1/2" of the water then stops, when it
stops the same amount of water runs right back into the crock from the
drain pipe and I'm right back where I started. I know that there shouldnt
be any backflow into the crock. Any ideas???
det1015
-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

det1015 wrote:
[...]

If the float switch is working right, the pump may be tripping an internal
protection switch. If you are using it for laundry water, maybe some thread or
cloth has gotten into it and is binding up the impellor.

What happens when you manually operate the switch?

Posted to alt.home.repair

det1015 wrote:
[...]

By chance is their a check valve in the pump drain pipe that is not
working thus allowing back flow?

Posted to alt.home.repair

det1015 had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ow-369458-.htm
:
There is a check valve on the drain pipe but I am not sure how to tell if
this is the problem and if it is what do I do about it? Since there is a
check valve the only way for backflow to be happening is if the valve is
bad or is there anything else that could cause it?
det1015
-------------------------------------
IGot2P wrote:

det1015 wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

det1015 had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ow-369452-.htm
:

det1015
-------------------------------------
Bob F wrote:

det1015 wrote:
[...]

The sump pump is fully under water because it is one that is mounted to
the bottom of the crock and the crock is full. The float is not on a small
electrical line like most that I have seen. It is underneath a lip on the
pump and is attached by a 3-4" long thin metal rod...when the float rises
on the metal rod and reaches the lip on the pump it kicks on. Well the
float is at the top of the metal rod (due to the pump being fully
submerged) and the pump will not stay on for longer than a minute at a
time. I have pulled the float down and back up and the pump does nothing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:

det1015 wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you are ready for a new pump.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:

det1015 wrote:
[...]

So, the float is way under water, and the water never drops down to the float
level? Does the pump cycle regularly, without ever moving the float? If so,
something else is causing the pump to turn off after a short run time, which
takes us back to a thermal protection switch or some such thing.

Does it just keep cycling for the same short period, over and over? A short time
on, and longer time off, with little change in water level from after the pipe
drains back until it turns on again? Again, something binding the impeller could
activate a thermal protection switch.

Can you disconnect the output and see if it keeps pumping then? Does it continue
running then? Is the water flow good? Look for a plugged outlet pipe then.

Does water come out of the outside pipe?

If you unplug the pump for ten minutes so it can cool off good, then plug it in
again, does it start pumping right away? Does pushing the float down quickly
stop it? Multiple times? This would suggest that the switch is good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Since the pump only takes out about half the water before stopping, it
sounds like the float switch either needs to be adjusted or
replaced. It should empty most of the water before turning off.

Second, if you're sure the water is running back in from the drain
line, as opposed to the sump pit refilling with water running in from
perimeter drains, ground water, etc, then the check valve is not
working. But given it's Spring thaw and heavy rain, the pit may just
be refilling with normal ground water.

Since it sounds like this pump is critical and it's age and condition
is unknown, if it were me, I'd probably replace it. And I'd also
install a second backup pump that has a battery backup too, so that if
one pump fails or you lose power for a few hours you won't get
flooded.

Finally, depending on where the water is being discharged, it may be a
code violation to discharge sink and washing machine water with the
sump pump water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 8:45*pm, (det1015)
wrote:
[...]

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

a 1/4 hp sump at about 6 ft head should pump about 25 gpm, so you are
dumping 25 gpm back in? does the pump turn on and off with the float
rod, you said no but you said it runs a minute so it sounds like the
float works. This makes no sense, your pipe wont hold more than maybe
a gallon or so unless you have a real long run. A new pump and check
valve is cheap. You are probably wasting enough electricity to pay for
a new pump in a few months.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 6:45*pm, (det1015)
wrote:
[...]

Sure sounds like new pump time. A new pump and new checkvalve
together won't run a $100 and replacign either is not rocket science.
At least pull your current pump and see if something is blocking the
impeller.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

det1015 had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ow-369473-.htm
:
ok here is where i'm at...I unplugged the pump for awhile and when I
plugged it back in it came on immediately and did the same thing ran for a
minute and shut off. While it was running I manually pulled the float down
several times and this made the pump shut right off so the float is
working fine. So I think that the thermal protection switch is being
tripped like you said. The pump is connected and draines directly into the
main sewage line for the house through the basement wall so I cannot check
and see if it is draining outside although while it is running I can here
draining in the pipe and the water flow "sounds" fine. I think this means
that the problem causing the trip is maybe a clog in the impeller which
leaves me still with a question. How can I get to the impeller to check
and remove anything clogging it...the pump is secured at the bottom of the
crock and I cannot drain any water from it, when I try the water fills
back up as fast as I can remove it.
det1015
-------------------------------------

Bob F wrote:

det1015 wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

It sounds to me that you need to replace the check valve and to adjust the
float mechanism to allow the pump to pump out more water. You don't want to
pump the sump dry but just down to the top of the intake.

If the pump is not handling the influx of water, you are probably due for a
new pump and check valve.

Why are your utility sink and washer draining into your sump hole? At least
around here that isn't a correct hook-up.

"harry k" wrote in message
On Apr 21, 6:45 pm, (det1015)
wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

det1015 wrote:
[...]

Bob F wrote:

My best guess.

It is probably not secured. It probably is just sitting there. Disconnect the
outlet pipe/hose and lift it out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 10:33*am, "Worn Out Retread" wrote:
It sounds to me that you need to replace the check valve and to adjust the
float mechanism to allow the pump to pump out more water. You don't want to
pump the sump dry but just down to the top of the intake.

If the pump is not handling the influx of water, you are probably due for a
new pump and check valve.

Why are your utility sink and washer draining into your sump hole? At least
around here that isn't a correct hook-up.

"harry k" wrote in message

On Apr 21, 6:45 pm, (det1015)
wrote:
[...]

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Also, in most parts of the US, it's illegal to pump ground water from
a sump pump into the sanitary sewer system. The basic problem is
that it's a huge increase in the amount of water that the system,
processing plant, etc must handle. It creates costs to deal with
water that in most cases could just be discharged on the surface
outside the house

Sump Pump Clunk After Backup Pump Install [email protected] Home Repair 6 April 19th 07 05:18 PM
Sump pump float switch: separate from pump? Marc_G Home Repair 4 January 15th 06 09:46 PM
Sump pump? Terry Carroll Home Repair 4 October 24th 04 11:47 PM
Sump Pump vs. No Sump Pump (Questions) BroJack Home Repair 4 September 5th 04 06:56 PM
Specify/Install Sump Pit and Sump Pump Puddin' Man Home Repair 4 November 26th 03 03:59 PM