Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Sump pump backflow?

det1015 wrote:
det1015 had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ow-369458-.htm

There is a check valve on the drain pipe but I am not sure how to
tell if this is the problem and if it is what do I do about it? Since
there is a check valve the only way for backflow to be happening is
if the valve is bad or is there anything else that could cause it?
det1015
-------------------------------------
IGot2P wrote:

det1015 wrote:
I moved into my house durring this winter and now going through
spring
thaw, it has also been raining for 3 days straight and now the
sump pump
in my basement that I have not had any issues with before is
backing up.
My utility sink and washer both drain into the sump pump crock so
the pump
runs frequently and has never backed up before. I checked it out
to see if
the float was maybe lodged on something and it seems fine. I
started
taking the water out and emptying it into a bucket but no matter
how much
water I take out of the crock the water doesnt get any lower. So I
sat and
watched to see what the pump was doing. It will kick on and I can
here the
water draining through a pipe in the basement wall but it will
only run
for about a minute and drains about 1/2" of the water then
stops, when it
stops the same amount of water runs right back into the crock from
the
drain pipe and I'm right back where I started. I know that there
shouldnt
be any backflow into the crock. Any ideas???
det1015

By chance is their a check valve in the pump drain pipe that is not
working thus allowing back flow?