Posted to alt.home.repair
Worn out Retread Worn out Retread is offline

Default Sump pump backflow?

It sounds to me that you need to replace the check valve and to adjust the
float mechanism to allow the pump to pump out more water. You don't want to
pump the sump dry but just down to the top of the intake.

If the pump is not handling the influx of water, you are probably due for a
new pump and check valve.

Why are your utility sink and washer draining into your sump hole? At least
around here that isn't a correct hook-up.

"harry k" wrote in message
On Apr 21, 6:45 pm, (det1015)
wrote:
I moved into my house durring this winter and now going through spring
thaw, it has also been raining for 3 days straight and now the sump pump
in my basement that I have not had any issues with before is backing up.
My utility sink and washer both drain into the sump pump crock so the
pump
runs frequently and has never backed up before. I checked it out to see
if
the float was maybe lodged on something and it seems fine. I started
taking the water out and emptying it into a bucket but no matter how much
water I take out of the crock the water doesnt get any lower. So I sat
and
watched to see what the pump was doing. It will kick on and I can here
the
water draining through a pipe in the basement wall but it will only run
for about a minute and drains about 1/2" of the water then stops, when it
stops the same amount of water runs right back into the crock from the
drain pipe and I'm right back where I started. I know that there shouldnt
be any backflow into the crock. Any ideas???
det1015

Sure sounds like new pump time. A new pump and new checkvalve
together won't run a $100 and replacign either is not rocket science.
At least pull your current pump and see if something is blocking the
impeller.

Harry K