Posted to alt.home.repair
IGot2P IGot2P is offline

Default Sump pump backflow?

det1015 wrote:
I moved into my house durring this winter and now going through spring
thaw, it has also been raining for 3 days straight and now the sump pump
in my basement that I have not had any issues with before is backing up.
My utility sink and washer both drain into the sump pump crock so the pump
runs frequently and has never backed up before. I checked it out to see if
the float was maybe lodged on something and it seems fine. I started
taking the water out and emptying it into a bucket but no matter how much
water I take out of the crock the water doesnt get any lower. So I sat and
watched to see what the pump was doing. It will kick on and I can here the
water draining through a pipe in the basement wall but it will only run
for about a minute and drains about 1/2" of the water then stops, when it
stops the same amount of water runs right back into the crock from the
drain pipe and I'm right back where I started. I know that there shouldnt
be any backflow into the crock. Any ideas???
det1015

By chance is their a check valve in the pump drain pipe that is not
working thus allowing back flow?