Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dishwasher not cleaning dishes on bottom shelf

When I put bowls, coffee mugs, glass jars, loaf pans, etc. on the
bottom shelf of my dishwasher, facing down, they do not come
completely clean. I ran a square freezer container through on the
heavy wash cycle with the "tough scrub plus" option turned on. A
large area on the bottom and one side did not come clean. The food
was very soft tomato sauce. When I touched it lightly with my
thumb, some of it transferred to my thumb. It was softer than warm
pudding.

I took some pictures of the dirty container. I could upload them to
a photo sharing web site if someone wants me to and he/she tells me
what site to use.

I have checked and the bottom spray arm spins easily. None of the
little holes in the spray arm seem to be blocked. I do not think
the dishwasher has mineral buildup because we have a water softner.
I have had the same problem when I used both Cascade and Finish
brand detergent tablets.

The dishwasher is a Maytag model MDB6701AWWW3. It has three spray
arms, one on the bottom spraying up, one in the middle spraying up
and one on the top spraying down.

Does anyone know why my dishwasher is not getting my dishes clean?
Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
When I am in the kitchen, I often kick one of my cat's balls.
After I kick it, he will sometimes play with it for a few
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 17:42:57 -0700, Daniel Prince wrote:

When I put bowls, coffee mugs, glass jars, loaf pans, etc. on the
bottom shelf of my dishwasher, facing down, they do not come
completely clean. I ran a square freezer container through on the
heavy wash cycle with the "tough scrub plus" option turned on. A
large area on the bottom and one side did not come clean. The food
was very soft tomato sauce. When I touched it lightly with my
thumb, some of it transferred to my thumb. It was softer than warm
pudding.

It sounds like you may have plugged jets or the sprayer arm isn't rotating.

I took some pictures of the dirty container. I could upload them to
a photo sharing web site if someone wants me to and he/she tells me
what site to use.

I have checked and the bottom spray arm spins easily. None of the
little holes in the spray arm seem to be blocked. I do not think
the dishwasher has mineral buildup because we have a water softner.
I have had the same problem when I used both Cascade and Finish
brand detergent tablets.

Tablets? You can try the gel or some TSP.

The dishwasher is a Maytag model MDB6701AWWW3. It has three spray
arms, one on the bottom spraying up, one in the middle spraying up
and one on the top spraying down.

Does anyone know why my dishwasher is not getting my dishes clean?
Thank you in advance for all replies.

Not sure how to tell if the sprayer arms are turning... Maybe you could put
some small cups, mouth up, under a big spaghetti bowl, mouth down. See how
much water gets into each cup? I still suspect the bottom sprayer arm.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Daniel Prince wrote:
[...]

Use powdered dishwasher detergent augment by 10% (by weight or volume) of
TSP.

TSP (trisodium phosphate) is available in the paint section of your big box
hardware store.

Warning: "TSP" is both the name of a chemical substance and a brand name.
Get the red box. DO NOT get the green box that has the big letters TSP on
the front. The green box does not contain TSP.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 9:03*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

open door with machine running, look for spray arm turning

Posted to alt.home.repair

Daniel Prince writes:

[...]

Take a closer look at the bottom spray arm.
Not too long ago I noticed that some paper labels off cans had made
their way into the arm. Took a bit of work to get all the paper
out of the arm.

Also the suggestion about opening the door during a washing
a cycle is a good one. The arm should be turning and spraying.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 6:38*pm, bob haller wrote:
On Aug 5, 9:03*pm, "
wrote:

[...]

Sorry the pump shuts off as soon as the door opens. Perhaps find the
safet y swith and hold it shut.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 7:46*pm, Dan Espen wrote:
Daniel Prince writes:
[...]

Not in the three I have had over ...um...years. The water shuts off
as sthe door opens.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Espen wrote:

Also the suggestion about opening the door during a washing
a cycle is a good one. The arm should be turning and spraying.

The bottom spray arm only spins when the bottom rack is out. If I
put the empty rack in, the spray arm stays in the same position. (I
opened the door several times and the spray arm was always in the
same position.)

I put in an old rack from the previous dishwasher (a similar Maytag)
and had the same problem. (The middle spray arm will continue to
spin for several seconds after I open the door.)

The spray arm must be rubbing on the bottom of the rack. The ends
of the spray arms will move up and down quite a bit when I push on
them lightly. I think it must be either the spray arm or what it
rides on.
--
When a cat sits in a human's lap both the human and the cat are usually
happy. The human is happy because he thinks the cat is sitting on him/her
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

As soon as the latch is clicked it shuts off. The latch mechanism is buried
in the door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 20:33:31 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

Not in the three I have had over ...um...years. The water shuts off
as sthe door opens.

Harry K

You have to be quick. I've done it many times when I had suspected
the lower arm. When you open the door, the pump stops but momentum
keeps the spray arm going at least a half turn so you can see that it
was moving.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:

open door with machine running, look for spray arm turning

Sorry the pump shuts off as soon as the door opens. Perhaps find the
safet y swith and hold it shut.

There is no safety switch for the spray arm.

The arm will continue to turn after the door is opened due to a process I've
labeled "inertia."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:

Not in the three I have had over ...um...years. The water shuts off
as sthe door opens.

The water may shut off, but the spray arm keeps spinning. For a revolution
or two. Then it stops via a mechanism that I have labeled "friction."

Someday, both "friction" and "inertia" will be taught in the schools. If
only I could license these two terms...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Daniel Prince wrote:

When I put bowls, coffee mugs, glass jars, loaf pans, etc. on the
bottom shelf of my dishwasher, facing down, they do not come
completely clean.

-snip-
I have checked and the bottom spray arm spins easily. None of the
little holes in the spray arm seem to be blocked. I do not think
the dishwasher has mineral buildup because we have a water softner.
I have had the same problem when I used both Cascade and Finish
brand detergent tablets.

The dishwasher is a Maytag model MDB6701AWWW3. It has three spray
arms, one on the bottom spraying up, one in the middle spraying up
and one on the top spraying down.

I just replaced the lower wash arm support on my 10 yr old washer. the
lower arm spun fine and I could see that it had moved when I opened
the door-- but when I was removing things to do my semi-annual
strainer screen cleaning, I noticed some wear on the little plastic
support. The piece acted as a bearing and a diverter to send the
water out through the wash arm. The worn piece opened up another
path for the water, so only a small bit of water was going through the
wash arm.

I don't see that piece listed here for yours--
http://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For...01AWWW3-%3d%3d

Maybe it is part of another piece on that machine?

I wouldn't suspect detergent problems if it is only the lower shelf
stuff that isn't getting clean.

Jim
Does anyone know why my dishwasher is not getting my dishes clean?
Thank you in advance for all replies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Daniel Prince writes:

Dan Espen wrote:

Also the suggestion about opening the door during a washing
a cycle is a good one. The arm should be turning and spraying.

The bottom spray arm only spins when the bottom rack is out. If I
put the empty rack in, the spray arm stays in the same position. (I
opened the door several times and the spray arm was always in the
same position.)

I put in an old rack from the previous dishwasher (a similar Maytag)
and had the same problem. (The middle spray arm will continue to
spin for several seconds after I open the door.)

The spray arm must be rubbing on the bottom of the rack. The ends
of the spray arms will move up and down quite a bit when I push on
them lightly. I think it must be either the spray arm or what it
rides on.

So slide the rack in and try to turn the arms by hand.
You might see what it's binding on.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 6, 8:58*am, Dan Espen wrote:
Daniel Prince writes:
Dan Espen wrote:

[...]

i have found the water outlets of the arms cogged with debris.....

all the machines i ever had power the arms revolution by the water
spraying out....

so clogged arm hole poor or no movement
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote the following on 8/6/2012 7:28 AM (ET):
Harry K wrote:
Not in the three I have had over ...um...years. The water shuts off
as sthe door opens.

The water may shut off, but the spray arm keeps spinning. For a revolution
or two. Then it stops via a mechanism that I have labeled "friction."

Someday, both "friction" and "inertia" will be taught in the schools. If
only I could license these two terms...

Frictertia®

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:

On Aug 6, 8:58Â*am, Dan Espen wrote:
Daniel Prince writes:
Dan Espen wrote:

Also the suggestion about opening the door during a washing
a cycle is a good one. Â*The arm should be turning and spraying.

The bottom spray arm only spins when the bottom rack is out. Â*If I
put the empty rack in, the spray arm stays in the same position. (I
opened the door several times and the spray arm was always in the
same position.)

I put in an old rack from the previous dishwasher (a similar Maytag)
and had the same problem. Â*(The middle spray arm will continue to
spin for several seconds after I open the door.)

The spray arm must be rubbing on the bottom of the rack. Â*The ends
of the spray arms will move up and down quite a bit when I push on
them lightly. Â*I think it must be either the spray arm or what it
rides on.

So slide the rack in and try to turn the arms by hand.
You might see what it's binding on.

--
Dan Espen

i have found the water outlets of the arms cogged with debris.....

all the machines i ever had power the arms revolution by the water
spraying out....

so clogged arm hole poor or no movement

I cannot see any debris in any of the spray holes. If I open the
door quickly, I see water spraying out of the holes.

If I turn the spray arm by hand, it binds on the bottom of the rack
almost all the way around. I do not think it is a fault with the
rack because I cannot see any bending of the rack or anything
sticking down. The wheels on the rack seem to be in the correct
location and not worn down. Also, the problem happens with TWO
different racks.
--
When a cat sits in a human's lap both the human and the cat are usually
happy. The human is happy because he thinks the cat is sitting on him/her
because it loves her/him. The cat is happy because it thinks that by sitting
on the human it is dominant over the human.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Daniel Prince writes:
Dan Espen wrote:

[...]

Remove rack,
life arm out and examine how it fits onto it's mount.
Possibly it's not going all the way down.

--
Dan Espen