Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing Gunk from Fuel Tank

I am in Cincinnati beginning my 4th day on generator power - all of 3500
watts, but I'm damn glad to have it. This is a generator that my father
bought in 1978. We tested it when it was new, then it sat unused until
two years ago when it was given to me. After a carburetor rebuild and
an oil change it runs decently. It has a 5 gallon external fuel tank
that I would love to use (instead of needing to fill the internal tank
every 2 hours). But it had gas sit in it for 28 years. It didn't even
smell like gas and it poured like a thick varnish. Does anyone have an
idea for an easy way to clean that sucker? Would swishing a bit a gas
around in it loosen up most of the junk or would I be better off using
something else, maybe kerosene or diesel?

Tom
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 11:56:57 -0400, "T. McQuinn"
wrote:

I am in Cincinnati beginning my 4th day on generator power - all of 3500
watts, but I'm damn glad to have it. This is a generator that my father
bought in 1978. We tested it when it was new, then it sat unused until
two years ago when it was given to me. After a carburetor rebuild and
an oil change it runs decently. It has a 5 gallon external fuel tank
that I would love to use (instead of needing to fill the internal tank
every 2 hours). But it had gas sit in it for 28 years. It didn't even
smell like gas and it poured like a thick varnish. Does anyone have an
idea for an easy way to clean that sucker? Would swishing a bit a gas
around in it loosen up most of the junk or would I be better off using
something else, maybe kerosene or diesel?

Tom

Fresh gas will get the job done eventually. May need to let it sit in
there a while to soften any remaining deposits. Full strength carb
cleaner, like gumout, would be faster, but it's nasty stuff. Make
sure you dispose of the dregs as hazardous waste.

HTH,

Paul F.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 17, 10:56*am, "T. McQuinn" wrote:
I am in Cincinnati beginning my 4th day on generator power - all of 3500
watts, but I'm damn glad to have it. *This is a generator that my father
bought in 1978. *We tested it when it was new, then it sat unused until
two years ago when it was given to me. *After a carburetor rebuild and
an oil change it runs decently. *It has a 5 gallon external fuel tank
that I would love to use (instead of needing to fill the internal tank
every 2 hours). *But it had gas sit in it for 28 years. *It didn't even
smell like gas and it poured like a thick varnish. *Does anyone have an
idea for an easy way to clean that sucker? *Would swishing a bit a gas
around in it loosen up most of the junk or would I be better off using
something else, maybe kerosene or diesel?

Tom

Methylene chloride based paint strippers will have the crap out in a
hurry. The old tank was probably tin coated, so don't let the stuff
linger. Not recommended for the careless or imprudent. Common sense
following disposal means, etc. is important. Considering the hassle to
value ratio, maybe a new 5 gallon tank might be the better choice.
Your call.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 10:56*am, "T. McQuinn" wrote:
I am in Cincinnati beginning my 4th day on generator power - all of 3500
watts, but I'm damn glad to have it. *This is a generator that my father
bought in 1978. *We tested it when it was new, then it sat unused until
two years ago when it was given to me. *After a carburetor rebuild and
an oil change it runs decently. *It has a 5 gallon external fuel tank
that I would love to use (instead of needing to fill the internal tank
every 2 hours). *But it had gas sit in it for 28 years. *It didn't even
smell like gas and it poured like a thick varnish. *Does anyone have an
idea for an easy way to clean that sucker? *Would swishing a bit a gas
around in it loosen up most of the junk or would I be better off using
something else, maybe kerosene or diesel?

Tom

MEK, Zylol, Laquer thinner, will work, gravel will put in alot of dirt
that may have issues, what you have now is nasty sludge and there is
no clear answer but power washing it out and drying it. Have fun
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 13:10:01 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

[...]

clean gravel will put n dirt? Please explain. I've been doing it that
way for over 40 years. No dirt. Not sure how long the old coot who
first showed me did it before that. I think he pre-dated the
automobile. No dirt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am in Cincinnati beginning my 4th day on generator power - all of 3500
watts, but I'm damn glad to have it. This is a generator that my father
bought in 1978. We tested it when it was new, then it sat unused until
two years ago when it was given to me. After a carburetor rebuild and
an oil change it runs decently. It has a 5 gallon external fuel tank
that I would love to use (instead of needing to fill the internal tank
every 2 hours). But it had gas sit in it for 28 years. It didn't even
smell like gas and it poured like a thick varnish. Does anyone have an
idea for an easy way to clean that sucker? Would swishing a bit a gas
around in it loosen up most of the junk or would I be better off using
something else, maybe kerosene or diesel?

Tom

No clear answer IS good. Remove tank to a remote location. Pour 1/2
gal of gas in; then safely light the fire and burn inside. Clean with
a wash and rinse.

Replace the tank is good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

automobile. No dirt.- Hide quoted text -

Clean OK, but the gravel must be cleaned itself as gravel is dirty,
either way he has a mucky mess, gravel would scour the walls
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Before you post anything that makes even less sense than that, please

And yes, the gravel will scour the walls, removing all the gunk and
the rust that is sure to be present. That's the whole point of
CLEANING THE TANK.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

ransley wrote:
Clean OK, but the gravel must be cleaned itself as gravel is dirty,
either way he has a mucky mess, gravel would scour the walls

'Pends on where it comes from but wouldn't be hard at all to rinse of a
small pretty small amount.

Scouring the walls is the idea--never thought of it, but actually it's a
pretty nice idea if the tank is rusty. Don't think it would matter much
for one that is simply varnished over the solvent of choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

laquer thinner will cut the gunk. remove the tank, pot the thinner in it,
slosh it around every hour for about 3 weeks and it will come clean as a
whistle. OR you could take it to a radiator shop and have them clean it out
in the hot tank.

"T. McQuinn" wrote in message
m...
I am in Cincinnati beginning my 4th day on generator power - all of 3500
watts, but I'm damn glad to have it. This is a generator that my father
bought in 1978. We tested it when it was new, then it sat unused until two
years ago when it was given to me. After a carburetor rebuild and an oil
change it runs decently. It has a 5 gallon external fuel tank that I would
love to use (instead of needing to fill the internal tank every 2 hours).
But it had gas sit in it for 28 years. It didn't even smell like gas and
it poured like a thick varnish. Does anyone have an idea for an easy way
to clean that sucker? Would swishing a bit a gas around in it loosen up
most of the junk or would I be better off using something else, maybe
kerosene or diesel?

Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

using gravel is a time tested method. Been there, done that dozens of times
on small tanks. The old timers used it almost exclusively to clean gas
tanks. Judging from who you got that reply from, I'd just ignore it. I do,
i have him filtered.

wrote in message

MEK, Zylol, Laquer thinner, will work, gravel will put in alot of dirt
that may have issues, what you have now is nasty sludge and there is
no clear answer but power washing it out and drying it. Have fun

clean gravel will put n dirt? Please explain. I've been doing it that
way for over 40 years. No dirt. Not sure how long the old coot who
first showed me did it before that. I think he pre-dated the
automobile. No dirt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't you just love talking to idiots?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Clean OK, but the gravel must be cleaned itself as gravel is dirty,
either way he has a mucky mess, gravel would scour the walls

Before you post anything that makes even less sense than that, please

And yes, the gravel will scour the walls, removing all the gunk and
the rust that is sure to be present. That's the whole point of
CLEANING THE TANK.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Don't you just love talking to idiots?

IMO,the biggest idiot is the one recommending putting fresh gas in and
lighting a fire in the tank....

I killfiled him.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 21:21:45 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Don't you just love talking to idiots?

I was really just responding to alert the uninitiated that he was
spouting his usual nonsense. I was talking past him, not to him. I'd
have to be pretty idiotic myself to think I could educate him.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 19:40:12 -0500, dpb wrote:

ransley wrote:
Clean OK, but the gravel must be cleaned itself as gravel is dirty,
either way he has a mucky mess, gravel would scour the walls

'Pends on where it comes from but wouldn't be hard at all to rinse of a
small pretty small amount.

Scouring the walls is the idea--never thought of it, but actually it's a
pretty nice idea if the tank is rusty. Don't think it would matter much
for one that is simply varnished over the solvent of choice.

The tank is always rusty! Especially one that sat for 28 years. The
problem is you can't see the rust because it's on the underside of the
top portion. That's where moisture condenses and the metal is not
protected by gasoline.

If you have a lighted dental mirror, take a look in any old metal gas
tank. There's rust.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I suspect the splash of new gas, and pour out the crud would be a good
option. Remember, the guy is in the middle of a big power cut, and most
likely the stores aren't open to sell new anything.

Years ago, I used oven cleaner to clean a Tecumseh carburetor which had been
badly gummed up. A generous spray of oven cleaner into the tank, water
rinse, and then allow to dry. Could do the job. The oven cleaner stripped
all the green off the carb I had, and left it nice and clean.

As to drying the tank (after two or three water rinses). You have some power
with the generator you have. Put the nozzle on the discharge side of a shop
vac, and blow dry air into the gastank.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Joe" wrote in message

Methylene chloride based paint strippers will have the crap out in a
hurry. The old tank was probably tin coated, so don't let the stuff
linger. Not recommended for the careless or imprudent. Common sense
following disposal means, etc. is important. Considering the hassle to
value ratio, maybe a new 5 gallon tank might be the better choice.
Your call.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hmm. What's a good acronym for "Dangerous Advice Of The Year"?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Don't you just love talking to idiots?

IMO,the biggest idiot is the one recommending putting fresh gas in and
lighting a fire in the tank....

I killfiled him.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

I suspect the splash of new gas, and pour out the crud would be a good
option. Remember, the guy is in the middle of a big power cut, and
most likely the stores aren't open to sell new anything.

Years ago, I used oven cleaner to clean a Tecumseh carburetor which
had been badly gummed up. A generous spray of oven cleaner into the
tank, water rinse, and then allow to dry. Could do the job. The oven
cleaner stripped all the green off the carb I had, and left it nice
and clean.

As to drying the tank (after two or three water rinses). You have some
power with the generator you have. Put the nozzle on the discharge
side of a shop vac, and blow dry air into the gastank.

denatured alcohol will remove the water,too,if you have some of that
around.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing Gunk or water

One Sunday, I'm driving to church. My truck is hesitating and lurching. it's
winter, and I'm thinking water in the gasoline. I stop at Kmart. They are
sold out of drygas, aparently everyone else had water in the gas that day,
also. On the way out, I walked through the paint department. Sure enough,
quart of denatured alcohol for 3.99 or some price. I bought it. Pour in
about 12 ounces through a funnel, and it got me to church.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

As to drying the tank (after two or three water rinses). You have some
power with the generator you have. Put the nozzle on the discharge
side of a shop vac, and blow dry air into the gastank.

denatured alcohol will remove the water,too,if you have some of that
around.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 23:00:25 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

One Sunday, I'm driving to church. My truck is hesitating and lurching. it's
winter, and I'm thinking water in the gasoline. I stop at Kmart. They are
sold out of drygas, aparently everyone else had water in the gas that day,
also. On the way out, I walked through the paint department. Sure enough,
quart of denatured alcohol for 3.99 or some price. I bought it. Pour in
about 12 ounces through a funnel, and it got me to church.

Lots of people use alcohol to get them to church.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The OP never said this was a metal gas tank. It could very well be a
plastic gas tank, even in 1980.

Highly unlikely, especially for a generator tank, and irrelevant to
his situation, where the gravel is needed to scour the gunk out once
the solvent softens it.

I appreciate the ideas from everyone!

It's a metal tank. It says USMC on the bottom and it looks like
something you'd see strapped to the bumper of a Land Rover in a movie.
I was about to try whatever solvent I have with either clean gravel or a
handful of nuts and bolts when I found out that the one radiator shop
that does this kind of work was open and willing to squeeze me in.
Apparently this guy does a lot of this and the others just send everyone
to him. He got every bit of gunk and rust out of it. He showed me a
motorcycle tank in the same condition.

Still on generator power here. Most of the neighborhood is up but if I
follow our line I quickly come to a pole that is down with the wires
laying on a chain link fence. They are working on things that affect
the most people first. With 250,00 still out as of last night I'm
thinking I shouldn't hold my breath.

I probably should start a new thread for this but I'm really surprised
that this old machine is standing up to this much usage. My father let
it sit for 28 years, then I changed the oil and rebuilt the carb.,
started it once, and let it sit for 2 more years. It has a pneumatic
valve that feeds oil from a large external tank when it gets low and is
labeled an 'extended service' unit - 'Sears Best'. I do want to find
out if modern generators burn less fuel - 3500 watts/ half a gallon per
hour - and how much quieter they are these days. The neighbors probably
have a contract out on me from the noise this sucker makes. And so help
me, when things get back to normal I am going to figure a way to extract
fuel from my old vehicle - 96 explorer, gets driven once a week and has
a full tank. When the whole area goes dark is a damn bad time to start
wishing you had taken a few minutes to fill all your fuel cans! If I
had money to burn this would be the week I commit to a full solar array
on the roof.

Fuel leak where line enters fuel tank k-man Home Repair 8 September 25th 08 04:30 PM
fuel oil tank terri Home Repair 18 January 28th 07 03:10 AM
Way to check fuel tank yourself? Steve K Home Repair 19 December 2nd 06 05:02 AM
PVC Pipe on a fuel tank ??? [email protected] Home Ownership 6 May 28th 05 11:54 PM