Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Removing Gunk from Fuel Tank

On Sep 17, 3:56*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 13:10:01 -0700 (PDT), ransley

wrote:
On Sep 17, 10:56*am, "T. McQuinn" wrote:
I am in Cincinnati beginning my 4th day on generator power - all of 3500
watts, but I'm damn glad to have it. *This is a generator that my father
bought in 1978. *We tested it when it was new, then it sat unused until
two years ago when it was given to me. *After a carburetor rebuild and
an oil change it runs decently. *It has a 5 gallon external fuel tank
that I would love to use (instead of needing to fill the internal tank
every 2 hours). *But it had gas sit in it for 28 years. *It didn't even
smell like gas and it poured like a thick varnish. *Does anyone have an
idea for an easy way to clean that sucker? *Would swishing a bit a gas
around in it loosen up most of the junk or would I be better off using
something else, maybe kerosene or diesel?

Tom

MEK, Zylol, Laquer thinner, will work, gravel will put in alot of dirt
that may have issues, what you have now is nasty sludge and there is
no clear answer but power washing it out and drying it. Have fun

clean gravel will put n dirt? Please explain. I've been doing it that
way for over 40 years. No dirt. Not sure how long the old coot who
first showed me did it before that. I think he pre-dated the
automobile. No dirt.- Hide quoted text -

Clean OK, but the gravel must be cleaned itself as gravel is dirty,
either way he has a mucky mess, gravel would scour the walls