Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing Gunk from Fuel Tank

I suspect the splash of new gas, and pour out the crud would be a good
option. Remember, the guy is in the middle of a big power cut, and most
likely the stores aren't open to sell new anything.

Years ago, I used oven cleaner to clean a Tecumseh carburetor which had been
badly gummed up. A generous spray of oven cleaner into the tank, water
rinse, and then allow to dry. Could do the job. The oven cleaner stripped
all the green off the carb I had, and left it nice and clean.

As to drying the tank (after two or three water rinses). You have some power
with the generator you have. Put the nozzle on the discharge side of a shop
vac, and blow dry air into the gastank.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Joe" wrote in message

Methylene chloride based paint strippers will have the crap out in a
hurry. The old tank was probably tin coated, so don't let the stuff
linger. Not recommended for the careless or imprudent. Common sense
following disposal means, etc. is important. Considering the hassle to
value ratio, maybe a new 5 gallon tank might be the better choice.
Your call.

Joe