Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vinyl Siding Thickness Does it Matter?

I am doing the installation myself. Using Owens Corning. Is there
any advantage to using a .044 verses .042 on traditional double four?
Will the installation be better? Will it last longer? Doesn't seem
like much difference in vinyl thickness. Price is not an issue.
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

when you reside, you should be looking at steel. not plastic junk.

steve

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
When I re-side I will be looking for the
thick stuff. Installation plays a very big part in the final result.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
when you reside, you should be looking at steel. not plastic junk.

The both have their advantages and disadvantages. The both come in
different qualities. To consider either one junk is a very simplistic
response and don't very helpful.

steve

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
When I re-side I will be looking for the
thick stuff. Installation plays a very big part in the final result.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am doing the installation myself. Using Owens Corning. Is there
any advantage to using a .044 verses .042 on traditional double four?
Will the installation be better? Will it last longer? Doesn't seem
like much difference in vinyl thickness. Price is not an issue.
Thanks

Thicker is better. Get as thick as you can. I once seen a cheapo modular
house with
equally cheap siding on it after a significant hail storm. It wasn't
pretty. The siding looked
like swiss cheese. If you're not 100% sold on vinyl, then check out fiber
cement siding.

Fiber cement is tough and can be had pre-painted. You can also paint it
later if you want to change colors.
My house has Hardie Plank on it, and I love it. Vinyl, even quality vinyl
looks cheap and cheezy next to it.
That's just my opinion of course.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
when you reside, you should be looking at steel. not plastic junk.

steve

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
When I re-side I will be looking for the

thick stuff. Installation plays a very big part in the final result.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Steel in a salt air environment is not advised.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Maybe it "don't very helpful" but which would you prefer? A steel armor or
a vinyl one? It's a fact that vinyl expands about 40 times more than steel
in temperature extremes. It's a fact that the nail holes are only slotted
about an inch. It's a fact that if you span a distance greater than 20'
with plastic, it's going to buckle in the heat. Not to mention, vinyl looks
like ****.

Steve Barker wrote:
when you reside, you should be looking at steel. not plastic junk.

The both have their advantages and disadvantages. The both come in
different qualities. To consider either one junk is a very simplistic
response and don't very helpful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You hear? Ever hear it from someone who actually HAD steel siding? Nope.
Didn't think so.

steve

"mm" wrote in message

Steel siding interferes with off-air reception of radio and tv, and
cell phones, I hear.

Posted to alt.home.repair

why? it has a baked enamel finish on it. sounds like a vinyl salesman to
me...

steve

"sandpounder" wrote in message

Steel in a salt air environment is not advised.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
why? it has a baked enamel finish on it. sounds like a vinyl salesman to
me...

So, it only rots where it hang on the nail. Still ain't gonna help when is
starts falling off the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 19:02:54 -0500, "Steve Barker"
wrote:

You hear?

Yes, I heard it. I heard it here.

Ever hear it from someone who actually HAD steel siding? Nope.

A guy posted here that it interfered with cell phones. I don't
remember if he said what kind of siding he had.

For that matter, you just posted and haven't said if you think he and
I are right or wrong. Or why you think so, or what kind of siding
you have, or if your cell phone works in your house.

I guess a lot of posts here don't give every detail.

Didn't think so.

steve

"mm" wrote in message
.. .

Steel siding interferes with off-air reception of radio and tv, and
cell phones, I hear.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Steve Barker wrote:
You hear? Ever hear it from someone who actually HAD steel siding? Nope.
Didn't think so.

Well, now you have from someone who has...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
Maybe it "don't very helpful" but which would you prefer? A steel armor or
a vinyl one? It's a fact that vinyl expands about 40 times more than steel
in temperature extremes. It's a fact that the nail holes are only slotted
about an inch. It's a fact that if you span a distance greater than 20'
with plastic, it's going to buckle in the heat. Not to mention, vinyl looks
like ****.

steve

Steve,

Looks like you're stuck in the 60's, that's ok.

First, have you ever had to replace dented steel siding? I have, you
don't unzip the panels like vinyl. You start at the top row, and remove
down to the damaged panels. Our company made a small fortune off of
insurance companies, doing this.

Second, I work in an area where temperatures are from one extreme, to
another. I've never seen vinyl pop, except on poor installations,
something you seem to have a grasp on.

Third, I've never seen steel or vinyl panels over a 20' length. And,
I've traveled extensively throughout the USA. I had seen someone's
brainstorm of attempting to run seamless vinyl, that idea fell by the
wayside along with steel siding. You may want to read up on panel sizes,
so you don't look like such an idiot.

You act like steel siding makes a structure, tank tough. Nothing could
be further than the truth.

Fact is, any siding is a covering, just like floors, counter tops,
paint, wall paper, roofs, etc.

For God's sake man, get a gripe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
why? it has a baked enamel finish on it. sounds like a vinyl salesman to
me...

steve

"sandpounder" wrote in message

Steel in a salt air environment is not advised.

No, someone who lives by the ocean and sees everything rust -
Powdercoated Stainless Steel, you name it - inside and out. I prefer stucco.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message

Steel siding interferes with off-air reception of radio and tv, and
cell phones, I hear.

A guy that I work with has that steel stiuff on his house. The baked enamel
on it went bad
looked like crap, but I can't remember that was before or after it all got
pounded flat
by hail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'll bet 100:1 that the guy whose phone wouldn't work is on the sprint /
nextel network. And yes, my phone works fine inside the steel sided house.
It's a verizon. It works everywhere. My FM radio's work fine as do the
tv's that are on antenna.

steve

"mm" wrote in message
A guy posted here that it interfered with cell phones. I don't
remember if he said what kind of siding he had.

For that matter, you just posted and haven't said if you think he and
I are right or wrong. Or why you think so, or what kind of siding
you have, or if your cell phone works in your house.

I guess a lot of posts here don't give every detail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

who?

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Steve Barker wrote:
You hear? Ever hear it from someone who actually HAD steel siding?
Nope. Didn't think so.

Well, now you have from someone who has...

Posted to alt.home.repair

since when does hail go sideways enough to damage 16ga steel?

I guess he should feel damn lucky he didn't have plastic. It would be
completely gone.

steve

"mm" wrote in message

Steel siding interferes with off-air reception of radio and tv, and
cell phones, I hear.

A guy that I work with has that steel stiuff on his house. The baked
enamel on it went bad
looked like crap, but I can't remember that was before or after it all got
pounded flat
by hail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't look like an idiot. And there's plenty of houses in my area with
sides over 20'. Including a couple spots on my ranch style house. and yes,
you can run the steel continous across these spans. It can't be called
seamless unless it is.

steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Steve Barker wrote:
who?

me, myself, and I...

--

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Steve Barker wrote:
You hear? Ever hear it from someone who actually HAD steel siding?
Nope. Didn't think so.

Well, now you have from someone who has...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:

when you reside, you should be looking at steel. not plastic junk.

steve

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
When I re-side I will be looking for the

thick stuff. Installation plays a very big part in the final result.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Hi,
In my city, Calgary, couple years ago hail storm went thru a
neighborhood destroying every single vinyl sided house walls
like a war zone. Total damage was like ~ 1 billion $. I never liked
vinyl which is also very bad against the fire.
Posted to alt.home.repair

got a sprint phone eh?

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Steve Barker wrote:
who?

me, myself, and I...

--

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Steve Barker wrote:
You hear? Ever hear it from someone who actually HAD steel siding?
Nope. Didn't think so.
Well, now you have from someone who has...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
I don't look like an idiot.

Ok I believe you don't "look" like an idiot. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
stainless steel does not rust. You just lost all credibility.

Actually Steve, there are many forms of stainless steel and yes it can
rust.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Steve Barker wrote:
got a sprint phone eh?

No.

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Steve Barker wrote:
who?

me, myself, and I...

--

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Steve Barker wrote:
You hear? Ever hear it from someone who actually HAD steel siding?
Nope. Didn't think so.
Well, now you have from someone who has...

Posted to alt.home.repair

the thicker the better,,,, thats what she said...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Steve Barker wrote:
Real stainless has no iron in it and does not rust. If it rusts, then it's
not pure stainless steel.

WTF???

You better look up what "steel" means and what "stainless steel" means,
also...

Hint--SS is a class of high-Ni/Cr iron alloys...

Actually.

Steve Barker wrote:
stainless steel does not rust. You just lost all credibility.

Actually Steve, there are many forms of stainless steel and yes it can
rust.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote on 31 Jul 2007 in
group alt.home.repair:

Steve Barker wrote:
stainless steel does not rust. You just lost all credibility.

Actually Steve, there are many forms of stainless steel and yes
it can
rust.

Real stainless has no iron in it and does not rust. If it rusts,
then it's not pure stainless steel.

Actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Steve Barker :
Real stainless has no iron in it and does not rust. If it rusts, then it's
not pure stainless steel.

Stainless steel is a variety of alloys of iron with other metals.
There's no such thing as "pure stainless steel", because there isn't
just one "stainless steel".

There are different alloys/grades of stainless, which have different
levels of protection against corrosion.

The stainless steel you see in cutlery is just as pure as any other,
but expose it to, say, high temperature caustic solutions, it rusts.

Most "consumer grade" stainless won't stand up to continuous exposure
to salt and moisture for decades on end. Or at least, not at 30 gauge.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Tony Hwang :

In my city, Calgary, couple years ago hail storm went thru a
neighborhood destroying every single vinyl sided house walls
like a war zone. Total damage was like ~ 1 billion $. I never liked
vinyl which is also very bad against the fire.

I'll bet that the metal siding was just about as bad.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Steve Barker :
since when does hail go sideways enough to damage 16ga steel?

Since when do many people use 16ga steel for siding?

More like 22ga or more (thinner).
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Jul 30, 8:03 am, wrote:
I am doing the installation myself. Using Owens Corning. Is there
any advantage to using a .044 verses .042 on traditional double four?
Will the installation be better? Will it last longer? Doesn't seem
like much difference in vinyl thickness. Price is not an issue.
Thanks

One thing I have discovered is, make sure whatever pattern grain or
whatever will be available in the future when you need to get it to
patch holes and stuff. This may require a crystal ball.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 11:24:52 -0500, "Steve Barker"
wrote:

Real stainless has no iron in it and does not rust.

Now *you* have lost all credibility.

All steel is made from iron.

There made be some faux stainless steel that isn't, but I haven't
heard of it.

I worked for six years at a steel company. In the office, but for
each project they took us on a tour. They make stainless steel like
they make other steel. They have a ladle of molten iron and they
throw in different additives. It mixes all by itself, but they use an
oxygen lance to make it mix faster and to burn off the excess carbon.

The thing that surprised me is that they don't just pour in the
additives. They throw in the whole 40 or 50 pound bags of various
chemicals, and the paper burns off as CO2 or just adds to the carbon
content of the steel. In the old days maybe they didn't make an
allowance for this small amount, but now everthing is planned in
advance, and samples are taken and analysed while the steel is still
in the ladle. In the old days they made 5 or 10 kinds** of steel at
this plant, but now they make 100's from thousands of recipes**.
Whatever the customer wants. Iron is by far the biggest ingredient of
all of them.

Sometimes they throw scrap iron or scrap steel into the ladle.

**Counting different amounts of the same additives as different kinds,
but there are also at least 10 different combinations of additives.

If it rusts, then it's
not pure stainless steel.

Actually.