Posted to alt.home.repair
M. Hargrove M. Hargrove is offline

Default Vinyl Siding Thickness Does it Matter?

Steve Barker wrote:
Maybe it "don't very helpful" but which would you prefer? A steel armor or
a vinyl one? It's a fact that vinyl expands about 40 times more than steel
in temperature extremes. It's a fact that the nail holes are only slotted
about an inch. It's a fact that if you span a distance greater than 20'
with plastic, it's going to buckle in the heat. Not to mention, vinyl looks
like ****.

steve

Steve,

Looks like you're stuck in the 60's, that's ok.

First, have you ever had to replace dented steel siding? I have, you
don't unzip the panels like vinyl. You start at the top row, and remove
down to the damaged panels. Our company made a small fortune off of
insurance companies, doing this.

Second, I work in an area where temperatures are from one extreme, to
another. I've never seen vinyl pop, except on poor installations,
something you seem to have a grasp on.

Third, I've never seen steel or vinyl panels over a 20' length. And,
I've traveled extensively throughout the USA. I had seen someone's
brainstorm of attempting to run seamless vinyl, that idea fell by the
wayside along with steel siding. You may want to read up on panel sizes,
so you don't look like such an idiot.

You act like steel siding makes a structure, tank tough. Nothing could
be further than the truth.

Fact is, any siding is a covering, just like floors, counter tops,
paint, wall paper, roofs, etc.

For God's sake man, get a gripe.