Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Vinyl Siding Thickness Does it Matter?

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 05:03:35 -0700,
wrote:

I am doing the installation myself. Using Owens Corning. Is there
any advantage to using a .044 verses .042 on traditional double four?
Will the installation be better? Will it last longer? Doesn't seem
like much difference in vinyl thickness. Price is not an issue.
Thanks

What does the maker say the difference is. Like dpb, it seems maybe
they are different in some other way, not just thickness.

There is definitely a difference in quality of vinyl siding. A n'hood
built near me where the houses sold for less than ours has vinyl
siding, and even though I see no vandalism anywhere, I see a few holes
in their siding (total, spread over 150 houses) , badly thrown
baseballs?, ladders leaned against the wall. Plus I see siding blown
off, and some of it in the rain runoff "pond" that every new n'hood
has to have here. I would go find who is missing the siding, but it
looks to me like what I've found got broken also.

IMPORTANT: Buy extra for repairs later. One guy here has chemical or
fire damage (not sure) to several of his pieces. Plus physical
damage, plus stuff blown away in storms. Etc.

Steel siding interferes with off-air reception of radio and tv, and
cell phones, I hear.