Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Vinyl Siding Thickness Does it Matter?

wrote:
I am doing the installation myself. Using Owens Corning. Is there
any advantage to using a .044 verses .042 on traditional double four?
Will the installation be better? Will it last longer? Doesn't seem
like much difference in vinyl thickness. Price is not an issue.

It's 5% in basic thickness. Are they actually the same vinyl or
slightly different products as well as simply thickness? If the same
formulation, the thicker will be a little more resistant to impact
damage but 5% isn't going to make a whole lot of difference. I'd
probably judge more on whether there's any significant difference in
warranty periods, etc., to decide whether one product was markedly
superior to the other in some manner. I think the thickness alone
wouldn't be sufficient to judge as I suspect there are other factors as
well.