Robert11

Default Vinyl Siding Brands And Thickness ?

Hello,

Live outside of Boston.

Re Vinyl Siding:

Have been looking all over the web, and, frankly, there's so much, it's
really confusing.

Would like to ask:

a. Is there any concensous as to which brand is the "best" ?

If not, which are generally considered as the top quality brands ?

b. Is 0.048 the thickest that anyone offers for residential use ?

c. Is there a very rough price per sq ft that is generally acdepted as a
norm for
the total of material and labor cost to install ?

Thanks,
B.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Robert11" wrote in message

Have been looking all over the web, and, frankly, there's so much, it's
really confusing.

Would like to ask:

a. Is there any concensous as to which brand is the "best" ?

If not, which are generally considered as the top quality brands ?

b. Is 0.048 the thickest that anyone offers for residential use ?

c. Is there a very rough price per sq ft that is generally acdepted as a
norm for
the total of material and labor cost to install ?

Thanks,
B.

You have more to be concerned about that just thickness of material. What
exactly is the material? (there are many blends and additives that can be
used). Who is going to do the installation? I'd rather have a second tier
material installed by a good craftsman than the best material hung by a
hack. Talk to the people you will be working with and find out why then
like to use a particular brand.

willshak

On 1/24/2005 1:34 PM US(ET), Robert11 took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

Hello,

Live outside of Boston.

Re Vinyl Siding:

Have been looking all over the web, and, frankly, there's so much, it's
really confusing.

Would like to ask:

a. Is there any concensous as to which brand is the "best" ?

If not, which are generally considered as the top quality brands ?

b. Is 0.048 the thickest that anyone offers for residential use ?

c. Is there a very rough price per sq ft that is generally acdepted as a
norm for
the total of material and labor cost to install ?

Thanks,
B.

I have Certainteed double 4 on my house (each panel is 2 - 4" 'boards').
When I built my poolhouse some years later, I wanted the siding color to
match my house (I forgot the color, but "Federal Blue" comes to mind).
Unfortunately, Certainteed no longer made the color that I had on my
house. I found a matching color at HD and used that on the poolhouse. It
didn't appear any cheaper than the Certainteed and looks as good as my
house. The embossed wood grain is almost equal. The house siding is 20
years old and the poolhouse siding about 10 years old.

--
Bill

I second Mr. Pawlowski"s comment.
I've seen many more problem installations of vinyl than good ones.
The crews appear to have been untrained and unsupervised.
TB

Colbyt

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello,

Live outside of Boston.

Re Vinyl Siding:

Have been looking all over the web, and, frankly, there's so much, it's
really confusing.

Would like to ask:

a. Is there any concensous as to which brand is the "best" ?

If not, which are generally considered as the top quality brands ?

b. Is 0.048 the thickest that anyone offers for residential use ?

c. Is there a very rough price per sq ft that is generally acdepted as a
norm for
the total of material and labor cost to install ?

Thanks,
B.

You have been a busy poster!

..044 is the normal builder grade vinyl siding. Some companies sell a
higher grade version. I think it is like 20% thicker and about 30% more in
cost. The quality of the installation and substrate is a bigger factor than
the thickness of the siding. All of them will crack when hit by a golf ball
or rock slung by a lawnmower.

Vinyl siding is generally priced and installed "by the square". A square is
100 square feet. One sheet of your old T-111 was 32 square feet (4 x 8).

No one can estimate prices without seeing the job. Siding is about $120.00
a square here. That price does not include the necessary trim pieces or any
labor. Your job might have a lot of trim pieces per square or just a few.
I am sure that licensed insured contractors charge a lot more where you are
than they do here.

Colbyt