Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wasps are coming through into the house from attic

I have a problem with wasps. It seems that they are coming from the attic and going into the house
by a vent. I thought they were coming through a sun lamp opening. I taped it shut as a test and
the wasps are still coming through.

Can wasps come in through the heating vents. I would think this is a closed system, but I don't see
another way for them to come in. I have a forced hot air/oil unit that also uses A/C through the
same vents.

I did "bomb" the attic but the wasps are still coming in. It seems that there are no "screens in the
attic, so that it is easy for any insect to come in through the roof on all sides of the attic. I
guess this is for venting. Is there suppose to be screens on the part of the house that touches the
roof to the house walls, to prevent such insects, animals, etc.

If so, what should I use and how should i install it. From the inside of the attic or from the
outside with a 2 story ladder.

Thanks much,

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine
Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address:

NOTE: My web home page:
www.seldin.net
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC wrote:
[...]

I had them come in once. They ate their way through the drywall. In my
case bombing the attic took care of it. Sorry that it did not work for you.
You may been the pros and or screen those openings followed by another fog.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC wrote:
I have a problem with wasps. It seems that they are coming from the attic and going into the house
by a vent. I thought they were coming through a sun lamp opening. I taped it shut as a test and
the wasps are still coming through.

Can wasps come in through the heating vents. I would think this is a closed system, but I don't see
another way for them to come in. I have a forced hot air/oil unit that also uses A/C through the
same vents.

I did "bomb" the attic but the wasps are still coming in. It seems that there are no "screens in the
attic, so that it is easy for any insect to come in through the roof on all sides of the attic. I
guess this is for venting. Is there suppose to be screens on the part of the house that touches the
roof to the house walls, to prevent such insects, animals, etc.

When I get calls for wasps getting in from the attic it will be usually
from can (recessed) lighting, though they can get in from other fixtures
that aren't real secure to the ceiling, or from the fireplace. The
fogger will only effect what insects come in contact with the
insecticide, so they can be hit or miss with the results. If it happens
to be the fireplace an occasional summer burning can help keep them from
nesting.

Lar
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC" wrote in message
news
[...]

You need to cover the openings in the attic with window screening. Just
staple it down the edges making sure taht there aren't any puckers in the
screen or the buggers will find their way back in. You just may end up
sealing a few in there and you can do a few things about that;
1. Do nothing and they should just die of thirst, starvation. A couple may
find their way into the house but a rolled newspaper should solve that
pretty quickly.

2. Fumigate again.

3. Hang a homemade wasp trap. Just cut the top 4" off the bottle and
invert the neck into the bottle. Tape the circumference of the cut. Prime
it with some soda - NO diet soda - they want sugar as we do! They will
crawl in for the soda and won't be able to find the open, inverted neck.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 00:26:37 GMT, "Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC"
wrote:

It seems that there are no "screens in the
attic, so that it is easy for any insect to come in through the roof on all sides of the attic. I
guess this is for venting. Is there suppose to be screens on the part of the house that touches the
roof to the house walls, to prevent such insects, animals, etc.

My house has screening on all the soffitt vents. (I"m not sure what
it has in the ridge vent. It's too curved for me to tell from the
inside)

When I first went into the attic, I found two sets of eyes looking at
me from the pink insulation. It was two moderately sized birds that
had gotten under the layer of fiberglass and were poking their faces
out. They were pretty dry and I through them away. (I no longer
remember if I heard them flying around inside before I went up there
or not. I had so many other things to do.)

I went looking for how they got in and found a pretty small place
where the wood at the end of the house was damaged and the screeing
was no longer attached to the wood. I don't know if they managed to
fly to this place and go in in one motion, or if they attacked the
wood themselves while hanging upside down and then squeezed in. They
didn't seem like the hang-upside down type. I wasn't sure that my
nails would even stick. I though the wood left would crumbe, but it's
been 24 years and nothing I know of has gotten in since then.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You need to cover the openings in the attic with window screening. Just
staple it down the edges making sure taht there aren't any puckers in the
screen or the buggers will find their way back in. You just may end up
sealing a few in there and you can do a few things about that;

Fumigate again.

Great. I will get on this.