Posted to alt.home.repair
Myrna

Default water pressure coming in to the house

I recently had a plumber in to do some work and he checked the pressure
guage and said the pressure was a little too high and we should
consider changing the guage. Cost was around $300. We have never heard
of this needing to be done so we're a little skeptical. Is this
something we should be doing? I don't remember the numbers but it
wasn't all that much higher than what it's supposed to be.

Myrna

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Myrna" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently had a plumber in to do some work and he checked the pressure
guage and said the pressure was a little too high and we should
consider changing the guage. Cost was around $300. We have never heard
of this needing to be done so we're a little skeptical. Is this
something we should be doing? I don't remember the numbers but it
wasn't all that much higher than what it's supposed to be.

Myrna

Not sure what he means by "gauge". Usually, the water meter is the city's
water authority's responsibility to change, usually at no charge to you if
there's a problem with it. If their meter doesn't include some sort of
regulator, then it's YOUR job to install a pressure regulator somewhere
downstream from the main supply pipe. They cost $60-$80, plus labor to
install. They drop your incoming water pressure down to the 50-60 lb range.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill

Is this causing any problems?

If not, leave it alone. If it works, don't fix it.

Personally I would prefer to have higher water pressure.

"Myrna" wrote in message
I recently had a plumber in to do some work and he checked the pressure
guage and said the pressure was a little too high and we should
consider changing the guage. Cost was around $300. We have never heard
of this needing to be done so we're a little skeptical. Is this
something we should be doing? I don't remember the numbers but it
wasn't all that much higher than what it's supposed to be.

Myrna

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

"Myrna" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently had a plumber in to do some work and he checked the pressure
guage and said the pressure was a little too high and we should
consider changing the guage. Cost was around $300. We have never heard
of this needing to be done so we're a little skeptical. Is this
something we should be doing? I don't remember the numbers but it
wasn't all that much higher than what it's supposed to be.

Myrna

You can buy a water pressure gauge for less than $10; not a bad tool to
have.
It should be about 55psi. If it is much over 65, you have a problem. It
might be that your regulator need an adjustment, which is trivial. At
worst, it is a $60 part that takes an hour or two to replace. (assuming your
water can be positively turned off, which some can't. If it can't, it will
be more expensive.) $300 seems high.

When I put my regulator in (never had one, and my pressure was 90) I also
put in a good full bore ball valve shut off, as the 20 year old crappy shut
off was flakey. Added $15 for the valve and maybe 30 minutes of work; a
good investment.

The regulator at my old house broke and the pressure went up to about
100psi, so it can happen. It should have been replaced, but I moved before
I knew anything about plumbing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Myrna wrote:
I recently had a plumber in to do some work and he checked the pressure
guage and said the pressure was a little too high and we should
consider changing the guage. Cost was around $300. We have never heard
of this needing to be done so we're a little skeptical. Is this
something we should be doing? I don't remember the numbers but it
wasn't all that much higher than what it's supposed to be.

Myrna

Yes Myrna, by all means get that defective "guage" replaced at once. A
gauge which gives incorrect readings should be condemned and properly
disposed of at a hazardous waste dump. Considering that, $300 seems
about right.

Jeff (Who is beginning to understand why his uncle Schlomo frequently
said, "If God wanted wimmin to understand this technical stuff he would
have given them brains instead of boobs.")

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Myrna wrote:
I recently had a plumber in to do some work and he checked the pressure
guage and said the pressure was a little too high and we should
consider changing the guage. Cost was around $300. We have never heard
of this needing to be done so we're a little skeptical. Is this
something we should be doing? I don't remember the numbers but it
wasn't all that much higher than what it's supposed to be.

Myrna

Yes Myrna, by all means get that defective "guage" replaced at once. A
gauge which gives incorrect readings should be condemned and properly
disposed of at a hazardous waste dump. Considering that, $300 seems
about right.

In all fairness, I think what she was talking about was having a
pressure regulator installed because the incoming water pressure is too
high. If it's above 80 or so, I would get one installed. And $300 for
that job, depending on what's involved, where it,s located, etc may not
be unreasonable.

Jeff (Who is beginning to understand why his uncle Schlomo frequently
said, "If God wanted wimmin to understand this technical stuff he would
have given them brains instead of boobs.")

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 18 Mar 2006 08:51:02 -0800, "Myrna" wrote:

I recently had a plumber in to do some work and he checked the pressure
guage and said the pressure was a little too high and we should
consider changing the guage. Cost was around $300. We have never heard
of this needing to be done so we're a little skeptical. Is this
something we should be doing? I don't remember the numbers but it
wasn't all that much higher than what it's supposed to be.

High water pressure is the leading cause of stroke in houses. Also
burst aneurysms.

Myrna

Wait. Never mind.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Myrna

Well, I did surely err when describing what is going on. I looked at my
notes and this is the story: in my town the pressure is high so my
house has a pressure reducer. The plumber said the reducer is not
reducing enough and it's borderline whether we should replace it. I
think the pressure was around 70 and he said 60 was optimum. All this
being said, do you think we should do this job? I don't think it's
something we can do ourselves.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Myrna

Why do you have to be a wise ass when someone is asking a question?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Myrna" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, I did surely err when describing what is going on. I looked at my
notes and this is the story: in my town the pressure is high so my
house has a pressure reducer. The plumber said the reducer is not
reducing enough and it's borderline whether we should replace it. I
think the pressure was around 70 and he said 60 was optimum. All this
being said, do you think we should do this job? I don't think it's
something we can do ourselves.

My previous home had about 110 lbs of pressure coming into the house, and no
pressure regulator. There were no problems with pipes or appliances. If you
have a pipe fitting that's marginal, it's obvious that higher water pressure
will make that fitting fail sooner than later. But, that doesn't necessarily
mean you need to worry about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 19 Mar 2006 15:01:34 -0800, "Myrna" wrote:

Why do you have to be a wise ass when someone is asking a question?

I'm sure he doesn't have to be, but he felt like joking around on this
occasion. He's usually serious, but what would he be if he could
never joke around.

The advice here is free, in theory, but if some ribbing comes along
with it, just be a sport and take it.

It's not like this is an emergency, even compared to the Canadian guy
who wrote at 4AM this morning who had no heat, was cold, and couldn't
sleep.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

mm wrote:
On 18 Mar 2006 08:51:02 -0800, "Myrna" wrote:

I recently had a plumber in to do some work and he checked the pressure
guage and said the pressure was a little too high and we should
consider changing the guage. Cost was around $300. We have never heard
of this needing to be done so we're a little skeptical. Is this
something we should be doing? I don't remember the numbers but it
wasn't all that much higher than what it's supposed to be.

High water pressure is the leading cause of stroke in houses. Also
burst aneurysms.

Myrna

Wait. Never mind.

Nice to see a little more sense of humor around here. After 50 plus
years of observing the folks I come in contact with I've come to
realize that a sense of humor and higher intelligence are pretty well
correlated. The slow ones just don't "get it".

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
kevin

The slow ones just don't "get it".

Your an ass. Ha Ha! Do you "get it"? Oh, wait, I forgot the smily .
Now do you get it?