Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

Default water pressure coming in to the house

"Myrna" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently had a plumber in to do some work and he checked the pressure
guage and said the pressure was a little too high and we should
consider changing the guage. Cost was around $300. We have never heard
of this needing to be done so we're a little skeptical. Is this
something we should be doing? I don't remember the numbers but it
wasn't all that much higher than what it's supposed to be.

Myrna

Not sure what he means by "gauge". Usually, the water meter is the city's
water authority's responsibility to change, usually at no charge to you if
there's a problem with it. If their meter doesn't include some sort of
regulator, then it's YOUR job to install a pressure regulator somewhere
downstream from the main supply pipe. They cost $60-$80, plus labor to
install. They drop your incoming water pressure down to the 50-60 lb range.