Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

Default Wasps are coming through into the house from attic

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC wrote:
I have a problem with wasps. It seems that they are coming from the attic and going into the house
by a vent. I thought they were coming through a sun lamp opening. I taped it shut as a test and
the wasps are still coming through.

Can wasps come in through the heating vents. I would think this is a closed system, but I don't see
another way for them to come in. I have a forced hot air/oil unit that also uses A/C through the
same vents.

I did "bomb" the attic but the wasps are still coming in. It seems that there are no "screens in the
attic, so that it is easy for any insect to come in through the roof on all sides of the attic. I
guess this is for venting. Is there suppose to be screens on the part of the house that touches the
roof to the house walls, to prevent such insects, animals, etc.

When I get calls for wasps getting in from the attic it will be usually
from can (recessed) lighting, though they can get in from other fixtures
that aren't real secure to the ceiling, or from the fireplace. The
fogger will only effect what insects come in contact with the
insecticide, so they can be hit or miss with the results. If it happens
to be the fireplace an occasional summer burning can help keep them from
nesting.

Lar