Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Ken Smith

Default Yellow Jackets (Wasps) in attic...

We have been having a heck of a time this year on our
property with wasp nests. I have killed off a bunch already in the eves,
behind shutters..etc..

I was on the roof a few days ago and there were a bunch
of them coming and going to a nest that appears to have been built under
the shake shingles at the ridgeline of my home. I sprayed and killed a
bunch - but obviously barely
put a dent in the population. There are now a bunch of them coming and going
through a turbine vent a foot or so from where they were seen a few days
ago. Clearly I have a major hive in the attic.

I will be contacting an exterminator tomorrow - but I am just curious how
they will likely deal with this. Will they open up the roof to access and
clean out the hive? Wil they attck the problem from the attic crawl space?
Will they fumigate the attic? inquiring minds want to know.

I am sick of these little ba#tards - what can I do to keep
them from reinhabiting my property or keep them in check??

Thanks!

Ken

Mitch Skool

Default Yellow Jackets (Wasps) in attic... Trap them

"Ken Smith" wrote in message news:1062483613.984430@sj-nntpcache-5...
We have been having a heck of a time this year on our
property with wasp nests. I have killed off a bunch already in the eves,
behind shutters..etc..

[clip]

I am sick of these little ba#tards - what can I do to keep
them from reinhabiting my property or keep them in check??

Take a clean plastic gallon milk jug and cut a horizontal window
(1"x4") in both of the non-handle sides, near the top of the flat part
the jug wall. Put 2" of water in the bottom with 2 tablespoons of
dish detergent mixed in (but not foamed up), and then use a string to
hang a bait level with the windows. Tie the bait (any raw meat or
fish, chx wing pieces are good and cheap) to the string, then lower
into place and secure by tightening the cap. Place outside, set up a
lawn chair nearby and watch the fun.

The hornets will fly in, cut a bite free, then drop to the ground to
eat. Alas for them, the ground is a drowning trap since the soap
destroys the water surface tension--they die literally in a few
seconds. The first time I set up this type of trap, I got 80+ hornets
in less than three hours, and had to empty the trap because subsequent
victims were falling onto the floating raft of bodies and escaping.
After three days of trapping, there is a noticable decrease in the
local population and I'm hopeful that the nearby nests are being
depopulated. A friend reports that a trap set close to a nest will
completely empty the nest over the period of a day or so.

For best results, use the attractant from a store-bought kit to spice
up the bait a bit, since it is amazingly effective at luring the
hornets to the trap.

If you try this, please post your results.

Mitch