Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dark Specks on Dishes after Running Dishwasher

A friend of mine who knows I am good with google groups asked me to
see if I could get help for his problem. He sometimes gets little
dark specks on his plates after running the dishwasher, and they are
such that they actually smear on the plates if you try to flick them
off. What's weird is that it's the second dishwasher this has been
happening to him with. In his old apartment, the same thing would
somehow happen, and now in the house he bought a couple of years ago
it is happening again. He uses powder detergent. I thought maybe he
is putting something in there that is corroding (like a rubber
spatula) or a burn frying pan but he said no. ANy thoughts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeffy3" wrote in message
oups.com...
A friend of mine who knows I am good with google groups asked me to
see if I could get help for his problem. He sometimes gets little
dark specks on his plates after running the dishwasher, and they are
such that they actually smear on the plates if you try to flick them
off. What's weird is that it's the second dishwasher this has been
happening to him with. In his old apartment, the same thing would
somehow happen, and now in the house he bought a couple of years ago
it is happening again. He uses powder detergent. I thought maybe he
is putting something in there that is corroding (like a rubber
spatula) or a burn frying pan but he said no. ANy thoughts?

Powder detergents don't work well with some types of water, due to hardness
(I think). Tell him to try a gel or liquid and see what happens. And, if he
tends not to scrape or rinse well, tell him to stick with a name brand of
detergent for his experiment. Cascade, Electrosol, etc.

Some dishwashers can handle more food left on the dishes than machines.
However, some people mistakenly believe that all machines have this ability.
Perhaps neither of his machines were able to deal with more debris, and he's
somehow sabotaged both through his prep habits.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Don is offline

If the vacuum break or high loop is not installed in the dishwasher drain
line, dirty water and debris could be drawn back through the drain line into
the dishwasher.

"Jeffy3" wrote in message
oups.com...
A friend of mine who knows I am good with google groups asked me to
see if I could get help for his problem. He sometimes gets little
dark specks on his plates after running the dishwasher, and they are
such that they actually smear on the plates if you try to flick them
off. What's weird is that it's the second dishwasher this has been
happening to him with. In his old apartment, the same thing would
somehow happen, and now in the house he bought a couple of years ago
it is happening again. He uses powder detergent. I thought maybe he
is putting something in there that is corroding (like a rubber
spatula) or a burn frying pan but he said no. ANy thoughts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeffy3" wrote
A friend of mine who knows I am good with google groups asked me to
see if I could get help for his problem. He sometimes gets little
dark specks on his plates after running the dishwasher, and they are
such that they actually smear on the plates if you try to flick them
off. What's weird is that it's the second dishwasher this has been
happening to him with. In his old apartment, the same thing would
somehow happen, and now in the house he bought a couple of years ago
it is happening again. He uses powder detergent. I thought maybe he
is putting something in there that is corroding (like a rubber
spatula) or a burn frying pan but he said no. ANy thoughts?

==
Had the same problem on my Bosch. Repairman said it was deteriorating
gaskets/hoses
from using too much detergent. I reduced the amt I use and problem has
ceased. FWIW:
Repairman also told me not to use gel detergents as they are also hard on
the hoses/gaskets.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 16:18:07 GMT, "Gini" wrote:

Had the same problem on my Bosch. Repairman said it was deteriorating
gaskets/hoses
from using too much detergent. I reduced the amt I use and problem has
ceased. FWIW:
Repairman also told me not to use gel detergents as they are also hard on
the hoses/gaskets.

These are both hard to believe. How much more detergent were you
using than the right amount? 1/2 extra? Twice? 10 times?

If too much would damage them, I would think the right amount would
too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote
"Gini" wrote:

Had the same problem on my Bosch. Repairman said it was deteriorating
gaskets/hoses
from using too much detergent. I reduced the amt I use and problem has
ceased. FWIW:
Repairman also told me not to use gel detergents as they are also hard on
the hoses/gaskets.

These are both hard to believe.

==
I'll pass that on to the repair guy if I see him again.
==
How much more detergent were you
using than the right amount? 1/2 extra? Twice? 10 times?

==
Nope. I filled the cup rather than go by the marked lines.
==

If too much would damage them, I would think the right amount would
too.

==
Why?