Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.automation

Default Problem with Intermatic T107-30 Timer - Running Slow

Hi all,

We have an old mechanical Intermatic T107-30 timer which controls our
landscape lighting. In the last few weeks, the timer started acting up - it
is running extremely slow.

Basically for every hour, the timer will only run ~2 minutes.

Is it worth getting this timer repaired? Does anyone know if there is a
simple fix for this issue?

If not, can anyone recommend a timer which will:

1. Control ~1000 - 1500W of lamps
2. Sunset programming AND turn off the lamps at a fixed time (i.e. 3:00am).
3. Multiple programs (turn on at sunset and turn on around 5:00am?).

Since this is for residential use... something cheap + reliable would be
ideal ;-)

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.automation
Art Art is offline

I had an old Intermatic mechanical used indoors for controlling a light.
When it started running slow I sprayed the internals with WD40. That was 20
years ago. Still working since but I only use it on vacations.

"Spam Catcher" wrote in message
. 1...
Hi all,

We have an old mechanical Intermatic T107-30 timer which controls our
landscape lighting. In the last few weeks, the timer started acting up -
it
is running extremely slow.

Basically for every hour, the timer will only run ~2 minutes.

Is it worth getting this timer repaired? Does anyone know if there is a
simple fix for this issue?

If not, can anyone recommend a timer which will:

1. Control ~1000 - 1500W of lamps
2. Sunset programming AND turn off the lamps at a fixed time (i.e.
3:00am).
3. Multiple programs (turn on at sunset and turn on around 5:00am?).

Since this is for residential use... something cheap + reliable would be
ideal ;-)

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.automation

Spam Catcher writes:

Is it worth getting this timer repaired? Does anyone know if there is a
simple fix for this issue?

Typically this is caused by the bearings in the synchronous AC motor
wearing out. Some suppliers stock the replacement motors.

However, if you are running a kilowatt of lighting, you are spending $100s
per year on power controlled by this thing, and it would be worth it to buy
something more precise in timing versus sunset. An hour a day will save
you $50 per year. The Intermatic Web site will help you.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.automation

Spam Catcher wrote:
Hi all,

We have an old mechanical Intermatic T107-30 timer which controls our
landscape lighting. In the last few weeks, the timer started acting up - it
is running extremely slow.

Basically for every hour, the timer will only run ~2 minutes.

Is it worth getting this timer repaired? Does anyone know if there is a
simple fix for this issue?

If not, can anyone recommend a timer which will:

1. Control ~1000 - 1500W of lamps
2. Sunset programming AND turn off the lamps at a fixed time (i.e. 3:00am).
3. Multiple programs (turn on at sunset and turn on around 5:00am?).

Since this is for residential use... something cheap + reliable would be
ideal ;-)

Thanks!

Games I like to play!

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.automation

bob kater wrote:
how abt a photo cell??
"Art" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

WD-40 is often a good way to get those old mechanical timers working again.
Follow it with a coat of some good silicon or other thin lubricant. It
tends to wash out whatever lubricant might have originally been there.

A couple good blasts from an air hose are handy, too.

Pop`

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.automation

Richard J Kinch wrote in
:

However, if you are running a kilowatt of lighting, you are spending
$100s per year on power controlled by this thing, and it would be
worth it to buy something more precise in timing versus sunset. An
hour a day will save you $50 per year. The Intermatic Web site will
help you.

Yes, that's what we're thinking too - buying a digital timer with some more
smarts in it.

I did some recalculations, we're probably closer to 600 watts, so a
kilowatt was a bit of an over estimation.

In anycase, thanks everyone for their suggestion, I'll give the good old
WD-40 a try :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.automation

"bob kater" wrote in news:4584557e$0$4920
:

how abt a photo cell??

Yes, I thought about that too - but I failed to mention the wiring for the
box is located inside our garage. So if I were to use a photocell, I'll
have to rewire.

Also, a photocell will run the lights all night? I sort of want a device
that is smart enough to turn on after dark till some fixed time (i.e.
1:00am), and then turn back on around 6:00am before work till sunrise ;-)