Posted to alt.home.repair
twfsa

Default H/D TV

Toshiba 52 in DLP, had the cable company ( Cox )out about 2 weeks ago, to
install a cable card in my TV as it has a built in tuner and there is no
need for a external box, the problem I am having is, I can't get all the
channels in high def I am supose to all the time.

The cable company has been out 2 times checked the signal,programed the
card, all the connections and every thing checks out, they re-program the
set to learn the channels, that works for a day or so then I start to loose
channels, they are telling me that the TV manufacture and the cable card
manufacture ,are sometimes not on the same page and its takes the card a few
times to learn and hold the channels.

Got them coming out tomorrow to check it out again and I want a different
card.

Anyone else experiencing the same or similar problems, with a cable card.(
Motorola card ) I don't want a big ass cable box on the tv when I paided for
a built in tuner.

Thanks
Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 22:35:31 -0600, "twfsa" wrote:

[...]

TV is getting way too complicated....
I just turn mine on, flip channels with the remote and watch it.
Well, once and awhile i got to rotate the antenna.
But no cards, no worry about HD, none of that, and best yet, no
monthly bills.
Posted to alt.home.repair
BP

wrote in message
[...]

Better pay attention. The feds are shutting off free TV in 2009 to free up
the bandwidth for communications. Pay to play is the US way.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

maybe get your model number and check:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

BP wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

That's not true. The only thing being shut down is analog broadcast TV
(NTSC). It's being replaced by digital broadcast which is also free,
the same content, plus HD capability and it's already available in most
areas.

Posted to alt.home.repair
BP

wrote in message
oups.com...

BP wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Really? Are you saying that they are going to broadcast (that means radio
waves) a digital signal that can be received via antenna? Or are you talking
about a digital signal that is transmitted via satellite that is recieved
via dish? Give me a link so I can learn more about this new free service.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Bud

TV is getting way too complicated....
I just turn mine on, flip channels with the remote and watch it.
Well, once and awhile i got to rotate the antenna.
But no cards, no worry about HD, none of that, and best yet, no
monthly bills.

You can get free HD over the air now. Flip the TV on, flip channels,
watch TV in High Def. Free.

My 74 year old mother who can't set the VCR timer can do it, so can
you!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Bud

twfsa wrote:
Toshiba 52 in DLP, had the cable company ( Cox )out about 2 weeks ago, to
install a cable card in my TV as it has a built in tuner and there is no
need for a external box, the problem I am having is, I can't get all the
channels in high def I am supose to all the time.

What do you mean by "can't get all the channels"? What is the symptom?

channels, they are telling me that the TV manufacture and the cable card
manufacture ,are sometimes not on the same page and its takes the card a few
times to learn and hold the channels.

never heard such a thing. Post this in alt.tech.hdtv for a better
response.

Got them coming out tomorrow to check it out again and I want a different
card.

Sounds like a cable problem to me. The TV tunes in whatever signal it
receives.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JerryL

Better pay attention. The feds are shutting off free TV in 2009 to free
up
the bandwidth for communications. Pay to play is the US way.

That's not true. The only thing being shut down is analog broadcast TV
(NTSC). It's being replaced by digital broadcast which is also free,
the same content, plus HD capability and it's already available in most
areas.

Really? Are you saying that they are going to broadcast (that means radio
waves) a digital signal that can be received via antenna? Or are you
talking about a digital signal that is transmitted via satellite that is
recieved via dish? Give me a link so I can learn more about this new free
service.

Yes, they are transmitting digital signals over the air and receivable with
the proper antenna and tuner. See below:

Got HDTV signals?
There are three basic ways to receive HDTV signals: Over-the-air (OTA)
broadcasts from your local network and PBS affiliate stations; digital
satellite TV providers such as DIRECTV and EchoStar (DISHNetwork); and
finally, HDTV via cable. The first step on the road to HDTV is determining
what signals are available to you, and what equipment you need to receive
those signals. (For more specific HD programming info, see our HDTV Links
article.)

a.. Over-the-air broadcasts: Digital TV broadcasts are currently being
transmitted by 1550 stations in 211 TV markets around the country that
include over 99% of U.S. TV households (as of 1/06). You can find out if any
stations in your area are providing digital broadcasts by visiting this
handy site and punching in your zip code (the site lists local cable HD
availability, too). Or, check the National Association of Broadcasters'
complete and up-to-date DTV station list. Be sure to note which channel
numbers your local stations are using for their DTV broadcasts. Most are in
the normal UHF range (14 through 83), meaning you can receive them with a
UHF antenna. If some of the channels are below 14, you'll need a VHF/UHF
antenna. For antenna information that's specific to your location, visit the
Consumer Electronics Association's antenna selector website. We carry
several TV antennas, including DTV-optimized models.
What you need: an appropriate antenna for your signal conditions, and
either an HDTV (a set with both HD-capable resolution and a built-in HDTV
tuner), or an "HDTV-ready" TV connected to a separate HDTV tuner.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

BP wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
[...]

They already are in most larger markets. Remember of course you need a
TV capable of HD digital.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/02/a...-set-for-2009/

The comments "The feds are shutting off free TV in 2009" are just
totally wrong.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Bud

That's not true. The only thing being shut down is analog broadcast TV
(NTSC). It's being replaced by digital broadcast which is also free,
the same content, plus HD capability and it's already available in most
areas.

Really? Are you saying that they are going to broadcast (that means radio
waves) a digital signal that can be received via antenna?

yes, most stations already have a digital counterpart, for FREE.
That's how many of us get High Def programming, over the air,
absolutely free. In fact, the quality is better than cable or
satellite because the compression over those services are greater than
OTA (over the air).

Go to www.antennaweb.org, type in your zip, and you can see what
stations are broadcasting digitally in your area.

Or are you talking
about a digital signal that is transmitted via satellite that is recieved
via dish? Give me a link so I can learn more about this new free service.

This is not satellite. Most digital stations are broadcast in the UHF
band.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg M

"twfsa" wrote in message
[...]

Cable Card technology isn't quite there yet, IMO. People seem to experience
a lot of the compatibility problems that you are and the cards don't have an
interactive guide. I prefer my trusty Moto 6412 DVR stb with Comcast.

Greg M

Posted to alt.home.repair
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

I also wouldn't go CableCard. It's my understanding that it's
unidirectional, in that it can tune in, but not send back. This means
you cannot use some of the features your cable company offers like
OnDemand programming. It is also my understanding that the cable card
IS your tuner, you are not using your TV HD tuner but using your
CableCard. Essentially the card is a small cable box, but is very
limited in what it can do (as mentioned in other posts and this one).
I can't see spending the money on digital/HD content but not using the
interactive guide or having access to OnDemand content.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy

On 02/16/06 08:47 am BP wrote:

Better pay attention. The feds are shutting off free TV in 2009 to free
up
the bandwidth for communications. Pay to play is the US way.

That's not true. The only thing being shut down is analog broadcast TV
(NTSC). It's being replaced by digital broadcast which is also free,
the same content, plus HD capability and it's already available in most
areas.

Really? Are you saying that they are going to broadcast (that means radio
waves) a digital signal that can be received via antenna? Or are you talking
about a digital signal that is transmitted via satellite that is recieved
via dish? Give me a link so I can learn more about this new free service.

Enter your ZIP code at

http://www.antennaweb.org/

to find out what digital TV signals are being transmitted in your area
(and at what distance and direction).

We have an outside antenna for digital TV because DirecTV doesn't yet
have our locals in HD. And we get even more channels than I expected,
because some stations are transmitting on multiple "subchannels"; e.g.,
not just 36.1, but 36.2 and 36.3 as well. There might be both 4:3 and
16:9 versions of the same program, different programs, or perhaps
continuously updated local weather information.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair
BP

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
On 02/16/06 08:47 am BP wrote:

[...]

I stand corrected. Thanks for all the info.
Being a captive of a cable company (big hill behind the house results in no
direct broadcast signals) I was assuming it was the same deal. Maybe I
should put up a big antenna on the top of the hill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You will still be able to get free TV with the use of an off air
antenna. You will just need to purchase the box to pick up the digital
signals.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

Try 2007......You will need to purchase a box that will allow you to
receive digital signals. What do you think...People with TV's that
have tuners that receive NTSC are going to go out and buy TV's with
ATSC tuners? The box will adapt old TV's for new digital signals.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

Most local broadcast's are sending digital pictures because of the lack
of HD content. Very few channels have the HD content, but it will pick
up.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lack of HD content? The major networks have most of their prime time
in HD. Fox in NYC even has it's live helicopter camera shots in HD now

In many markets the local stations arent carrying full high def, they
are sending out multiple feeds using the same bandwidth.

channel one downgraded high def
channel two shopping
channel three business feed

they want to maximize revenue $$$$

Posted to alt.home.repair
Randy R

"JerryL" wrote in message
a.. Over-the-air broadcasts: Digital TV broadcasts are currently being
transmitted by 1550 stations in 211 TV markets around the country that
include over 99% of U.S. TV households (as of 1/06). You can find out if
any stations in your area are providing digital broadcasts by visiting
this handy site and punching in your zip code (the site lists local cable
HD availability, too).

See
http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

I have an antenna and a box to receive the digital OTA broadcasts. The
picure quality is equal to or BETTER than cable.
The box I have is called US Digital, and Walmart sells it, but I think they
may be discontinuing it.

Randy R

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

wrote in message
oups.com...
You will still be able to get free TV with the use of an off air
antenna. You will just need to purchase the box to pick up the digital
signals.

Paul

FCC accelerated the time for all manufacturers to include off the ait ATSC
and NTSC tuners in all TV sets by later this year. Previously the ruling
only allowed for sets 13" and larger by this year. Pretty soon, you won't
be seeing HD monitors where you have to buy the tuner seperately.

I get my HD off a 20 year old roof antenna and get 2x more channels in HD
than the cable company puts on the wire and I don't have to pay the $5
extra.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 06:39:38 -0500, "BP" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

1. They're shutting down the older broadcast system (NTSC). The
digital ones (ATSC) can be as free as the older ones.

2. That date used to be earlier. Government often puts things off
multiple times. I'd be surprised to find the change effective in 2009
as currently claimed.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 22:35:31 -0600, "twfsa" wrote:

Toshiba 52 in DLP, had the cable company ( Cox )out about 2 weeks ago, to
install a cable card in my TV as it has a built in tuner and there is no
need for a external box, the problem I am having is, I can't get all the
channels in high def I am supose to all the time.

The cable company has been out 2 times checked the signal,programed the
card, all the connections and every thing checks out, they re-program the
set to learn the channels, that works for a day or so then I start to loose
channels, they are telling me that the TV manufacture and the cable card
manufacture ,are sometimes not on the same page and its takes the card a few
times to learn and hold the channels.

Something wrong if the system keeps dropping channels. It's unlikely
that repeated programming will help.

Got them coming out tomorrow to check it out again and I want a different
card.

Anyone else experiencing the same or similar problems, with a cable card.(
Motorola card ) I don't want a big ass cable box on the tv when I paided for
a built in tuner.

That "big ass cable box" (which may be small) will greatly improve
versatility. It will mean you have access to the signal, and can feed
it to anything you want (such as a DVD recorder). It would also help
you to localize the problem (it is the cable box or the TV?).

Thanks
Tom

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On 16 Feb 2006 09:01:34 -0800, "grodenhiATgmailDOTcom"
wrote:

I also wouldn't go CableCard. It's my understanding that it's
unidirectional, in that it can tune in, but not send back.

Which could be very desirable for privacy reasons.

This means
you cannot use some of the features your cable company offers like
OnDemand programming. It is also my understanding that the cable card
IS your tuner, you are not using your TV HD tuner but using your
CableCard. Essentially the card is a small cable box, but is very
limited in what it can do (as mentioned in other posts and this one).
I can't see spending the money on digital/HD content but not using the
interactive guide or having access to OnDemand content.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Bud

I stand corrected. Thanks for all the info.
Being a captive of a cable company (big hill behind the house results in no
direct broadcast signals) I was assuming it was the same deal. Maybe I
should put up a big antenna on the top of the hill.

It's the best picture you'll get, too, because the cable/satellite
compress the video (remember, it's digital) more than your local
network.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Re-read the post......I said LOCAL.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ya right.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

is June.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Seth Goodman

In article . com, on 17
Feb 2006 06:19:24 -0800, wrote:

is June.

Last date for analog broadcasts is February 17, 2009.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/digitaltv.html

--
Seth Goodman
Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 09:42:50 -0500, Seth Goodman
wrote:

In article . com, on 17
Feb 2006 06:19:24 -0800, wrote:

is June.

Last date for analog broadcasts is February 17, 2009.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/digitaltv.html

Of course that's when it is NOW. When Feb 17 2009 gets here, that
cutoff could be sometime in 2011. Don't forget it's been put off
before, and is likely to be again.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ya right....And you listen to Congress? Thats their statement. FCC
rules.....2007

Posted to alt.home.repair

there are a wide variety of HD bandwidths, trimmed for lack of a better
term to fit the $ and bandwidth available

I will get some citys that lack high def, and beyond that there are
really few high def sets out there, percentage wise to analog ones

Posted to alt.home.repair
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

) said...
The way network transmission gets to folks via OTA has to be through
the local affiliate. You seemed to be suggesting that some were
choosing to transmit in std def programming that was available in hi
def to maximize revenue.

That is a possibility.

Digital television has enabled HD in a number of ways that analog
couldn't. We had this standard that allocated 6 MHz for a channel that
originally carried a monochrome picture and one audio channel.

Then we added colour, then we added stereo (and SAP), and then we wanted
to add a higher definition picture. In Japan, they have been using an
analog system for broadcasting HD pictures, but in order to do it, they
had to use THREE channels to send one programming signal.

With digital technology, compression is easier and more effective and
allows an HD picture with 5.1 surround sound to be sent in that same
6 MHz bandwidth. But what if you are only sending a standard definition
picture? There is actually space in the channel to send FOUR standard
definition pictures when sent digitally! There is also ED (Enhanced
Definition) that lies between the two, and you could fit two ED picture
signals in a single channel. Unused bandwidth could be used to send
just about anything you want digitally.

I had heard that PBS was considering sending FOUR standard definition
programs during the daytime and swithing to a single HD program in the
evenings. This could allow multiple feeds in a single market to provide
schools with different programming. I don't know if this idea has been
scrapped, or perhaps implemented in a small number of markets.

Sure, the local news may not be in high def, by choice of the local
affiliate. And daytime soaps from the networks are not in hi def at
all, as far as I know. But that doesn't equate with a lack of HD
programming because the locals are choosing not to transmit what is
available. I think the available HD content doesn't vary all that much
by market. If I'm wrong, I'd like to see a reference to a programming
guide.

I would suspect that any possible extra commercial revenue from sending
multiple channels of programming in lower definition might be offset by
the extra costs in providing the extra programming. If the network is
providing an HD feed, why not just broadcast it that way, especially
since some of your viewing audience has invested in the equipment and
would like to see it that way. If you broadcasted it in ED or even standard,
in order to use the rest of the bandwidth for other programming, you have
to get that programming from somewhere. There will be some costs to that,
even if it is hiring staff to operate a VCR to press the play button.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"
*** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
http://www.SecureIX.com ***
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
there are a wide variety of HD bandwidths, trimmed for lack of a better
term to fit the $ and bandwidth available

Really, I'd like to see a reference please. Show us any credible
reference that has HDTV defined as anything other than 10080i or 720P.
It's becoming more and more obvious that you really don't know what
you're talking about here. BTW, we're still waiting for a reference
that shows one of the "many" markets where digital TV is available, but

the bandwith is being used to deliver more std channels, resulting in a

lack of HD programming. Of course that reference isn't forthcoming
either, because everywhere digital broadcasting is available, similar
HD content, eg prime time shows, sports, etc is also available.

I will get some citys that lack high def, and beyond that there are
really few high def sets out there, percentage wise to analog ones

Yes, percentage wise there sure are more analog sets than HD ones. But

guess what? The percentage of sets with a tuner capable of receiving
digital, whether HD or SD, is even less. So, there goes your big
argument that many broadcasters are using digital to send more SD,
rather than HD. What do you think the folks that just bought a $2000
digital TV want to watch on it? HD or more SD crap?

Apparently you havent hear of HD lite or pay services using the extra
digital channels Broadcasters are ONLY interested in making money