Posted to alt.home.repair
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Default H/D TV

) said...
The way network transmission gets to folks via OTA has to be through
the local affiliate. You seemed to be suggesting that some were
choosing to transmit in std def programming that was available in hi
def to maximize revenue.

That is a possibility.

Digital television has enabled HD in a number of ways that analog
couldn't. We had this standard that allocated 6 MHz for a channel that
originally carried a monochrome picture and one audio channel.

Then we added colour, then we added stereo (and SAP), and then we wanted
to add a higher definition picture. In Japan, they have been using an
analog system for broadcasting HD pictures, but in order to do it, they
had to use THREE channels to send one programming signal.

With digital technology, compression is easier and more effective and
allows an HD picture with 5.1 surround sound to be sent in that same
6 MHz bandwidth. But what if you are only sending a standard definition
picture? There is actually space in the channel to send FOUR standard
definition pictures when sent digitally! There is also ED (Enhanced
Definition) that lies between the two, and you could fit two ED picture
signals in a single channel. Unused bandwidth could be used to send
just about anything you want digitally.

I had heard that PBS was considering sending FOUR standard definition
programs during the daytime and swithing to a single HD program in the
evenings. This could allow multiple feeds in a single market to provide
schools with different programming. I don't know if this idea has been
scrapped, or perhaps implemented in a small number of markets.

Sure, the local news may not be in high def, by choice of the local
affiliate. And daytime soaps from the networks are not in hi def at
all, as far as I know. But that doesn't equate with a lack of HD
programming because the locals are choosing not to transmit what is
available. I think the available HD content doesn't vary all that much
by market. If I'm wrong, I'd like to see a reference to a programming
guide.

I would suspect that any possible extra commercial revenue from sending
multiple channels of programming in lower definition might be offset by
the extra costs in providing the extra programming. If the network is
providing an HD feed, why not just broadcast it that way, especially
since some of your viewing audience has invested in the equipment and
would like to see it that way. If you broadcasted it in ED or even standard,
in order to use the rest of the bandwidth for other programming, you have
to get that programming from somewhere. There will be some costs to that,
even if it is hiring staff to operate a VCR to press the play button.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"
*** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
http://www.SecureIX.com ***