Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basic automotive headlight bulbs

Need car headlight bulbs - where is a good cheap source locally?

They're like 25 bucks each at the Autozone parts stores.
Walmart has them online for around 10 bucks each in sets.

Where do you get your headlight bulbs locally?

This is a general question but the exact bulbs needed are
9003 (one)
9007 (three)
H7 (one)

I'm not looking for the fancy stuff. Just the basics.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2019 2:44 PM, Raphael wrote:
Need car headlight bulbs - where is a good cheap source locally?

They're like 25 bucks each at the Autozone parts stores.
Walmart has them online for around 10 bucks each in sets.

Where do you get your headlight bulbs locally?

Bob's Auto on Park Street. Prices are gread and he had good inventory.
Stop by and he'll help you out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 22 Jul 2019 12:44:22 -0600, Raphael
wrote:

Need car headlight bulbs - where is a good cheap source locally?

They're like 25 bucks each at the Autozone parts stores.
Walmart has them online for around 10 bucks each in sets.

Where do you get your headlight bulbs locally?

This is a general question but the exact bulbs needed are
9003 (one)
9007 (three)
H7 (one)

I'm not looking for the fancy stuff. Just the basics.

Not trying to be difficult, but I haven't needed bulb for about 15
years, when I decided to replace my normal bulbs with halogen, because
they were brighter. But they burned out, almost the first ones that
ever did.

I presume my 2005 car came with halogen bulbs but they must have
improved how long they last.

What about Rock Auto, online. I've never looked at bulbs there, but
people online praise it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote on Tue, 23 Jul 2019 00:34:28 -0400 :

What about Rock Auto, online. I've never looked at bulbs there, but
people online praise it.

Thank you for the suggestion of Rock Auto where I use them and Carid as the
best online sources by price for basic products.

In this case I wanted to buy the bulbs in the store where I figured out
that Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, OSH, Walgreens and Target are not so good on
price. All the auto parts stores were three times the price.

The right answer turns out to be Walmart which had them on sale for $4 each
where each bulb was 3 and 4 times that price at the auto parts stores.

I was surprised the last place to go was the auto parts stores.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/22/2019 10:34 PM, micky wrote:
I presume my 2005 car came with halogen bulbs but they must have
improved how long they last.

With some of the newer cars the headlight assembly is replaced as a
module. The bulbs may last longer than the plastic, which gets frosted
by UV and road grit. They're about $50 a pop for my car, plus a few
magic moves to find all the mounts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 23:17:04 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 07/22/2019 10:34 PM, micky wrote:
I presume my 2005 car came with halogen bulbs but they must have
improved how long they last.

With some of the newer cars the headlight assembly is replaced as a
module. The bulbs may last longer than the plastic, which gets frosted
by UV and road grit. They're about $50 a pop for my car, plus a few
magic moves to find all the mounts.

What car do you have that doesn't have replaceable bulbs (that are
not LED)?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/22/2019 11:58 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
What car do you have that doesn't have replaceable bulbs (that are
not LED)?

I was mistaken. The bulbs can be replaced although it's a major pain in
the ass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBYUh-ys92Q

If I ever have to do it, I'll replace the entire shebang. They're
getting cloudy after 8 years and by the time I'd buy one of the
polishing kits and screw around it wouldn't be worth it. Hey, it's the
throwaway generation, right?

The tail lights are more accessible. I haven't had to replace them but I
checked them out for splicing in a trailer light harness. Unfortunately
I haven't been able to find a T connector and the wires are a little
delicate looking for a squeeze on connector.

If I ever have to buy another car I'll look for something from the
mid'90s. That was the sweet spot for cars. FI, decent ignition systems,
and not as much extraneous ****.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23/7/19 11:46 pm, rbowman wrote:
On 07/22/2019 11:58 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
* What car do you have that doesn't have replaceable bulbs (that are
not LED)?

I was mistaken. The bulbs can be replaced although it's a major pain in
the ass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBYUh-ys92Q

If I ever have to do it, I'll replace the entire shebang. They're
getting cloudy after 8 years and by the time I'd buy one of the
polishing kits and screw around it wouldn't be worth it. Hey, it's the
throwaway generation, right?

It would be worth buying a polishing kit. I bought a bottle of headlight
cleaner and in no time I had headlights that were almost like new on a
15 year old car.

The tail lights are more accessible. I haven't had to replace them but I
checked them out for splicing in a trailer light harness. Unfortunately
I haven't been able to find a T connector and the wires are a little
delicate looking for a squeeze on connector.

If your car is a recent model, and has *bulb failure sensors*, it's
highly likely you won't be able to splice in the wires at the rear.
Adding a trailer bulb's resistance (or lack of it - bulbs in parallel
and all that) direct into the wiring circuit without adding a special
active trailer harness is going to cause you pain..

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/23/19 8:46 AM, rbowman wrote:

[snip]

If I ever have to buy another car I'll look for something from the
mid'90s. That was the sweet spot for cars. FI, decent ignition systems,
and not as much extraneous ****.

Considering recent cars, one thing I really don't like is touch screens.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Is it just me, or does anyone else read `bible humpers' every time
someone writes `bible thumpers?' [Joel M. Snyder]
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 24 Jul 2019 00:20:45 +1000, Xeno
wrote:

[...]

Strip the wires a little and solder in the trailer wires. Wrap with
silicone tape for the best finish.

If your car is a recent model, and has *bulb failure sensors*, it's
highly likely you won't be able to splice in the wires at the rear.

Say you do it anyhow. It will only cause trouble when the trailer is
plugged in, right? And most of the time for most people the trailer is
not connected.

Adding a trailer bulb's resistance (or lack of it - bulbs in parallel
and all that) direct into the wiring circuit without adding a special
active trailer harness is going to cause you pain..

If I ever have to buy another car I'll look for something from the
mid'90s. That was the sweet spot for cars. FI, decent ignition systems,
and not as much extraneous ****.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 23/7/19 11:46 pm, rbowman wrote:
On 07/22/2019 11:58 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
Â* What car do you have that doesn't have replaceable bulbs (that are
[...]

The easiest way is to add one of these;

https://www.milford-auto.com/product...g_harness_kits

Takes care of any potential problems, and bulb failure sensors are but
one potential issue.

Adding a trailer bulb's resistance (or lack of it - bulbs in parallel
and all that) direct into the wiring circuit without adding a special
active trailer harness is going to cause you pain..

If I ever have to buy another car I'll look for something from the
mid'90s. That was the sweet spot for cars. FI, decent ignition systems,
and not as much extraneous ****.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/23/2019 08:20 AM, Xeno wrote:
It would be worth buying a polishing kit. I bought a bottle of headlight
cleaner and in no time I had headlights that were almost like new on a
15 year old car.

Probably, but there's another factor -- that deer that took a ride on my
hood a few years ago. Car runs, hood open, headlights point in the right
direction so my ambition level to work on it is pretty low. If I have to
remove all the plastic and the module just to replace the bulb, might as
well do the modules.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/23/2019 08:09 PM, micky wrote:
Strip the wires a little and solder in the trailer wires. Wrap with
silicone tape for the best finish.

Teach you grandmother to suck eggs. Stripping something inline that
looks like 24 gauge wire while standing on my head is something I'll do
when I absolutely have to.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/23/2019 08:59 PM, Xeno wrote:
The easiest way is to add one of these;

https://www.milford-auto.com/product...g_harness_kits

Takes care of any potential problems, and bulb failure sensors are but
one potential issue.

AOC to the contrary there isn't a damn road to Australia. And, as I
mentioned in the original post, if there was a neat plug'n'play solution
available for that model the job would have been done a long time ago.

In theory the Yaris isn't supposed to be pulling a trailer, at least
that's the story in the US. On the forums the Canadians say their owner
manuals say a maximum of 500 pounds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/23/2019 10:05 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 7/23/19 8:46 AM, rbowman wrote:

[snip]

If I ever have to buy another car I'll look for something from the
mid'90s. That was the sweet spot for cars. FI, decent ignition
systems, and not as much extraneous ****.

Considering recent cars, one thing I really don't like is touch screens.

I don't like keyless entry, backup cameras, curb sensors, automated
braking, and stability control that you can't turn off. There a a few
other things too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 24/7/19 1:29 pm, rbowman wrote:
On 07/23/2019 08:59 PM, Xeno wrote:
The easiest way is to add one of these;

https://www.milford-auto.com/product...g_harness_kits

Takes care of any potential problems, and bulb failure sensors are but
one potential issue.

AOC to the contrary there isn't a damn road to Australia. And, as I
mentioned in the original post, if there was a neat plug'n'play solution
available for that model the job would have been done a long time ago.

In theory the Yaris isn't supposed to be pulling a trailer, at least
that's the story in the US. On the forums the Canadians say their owner
manuals say a maximum of 500 pounds.

Well, actually, there are any number of universal solutions to get
around the various issues, some elegant, others not so much.

If the vehicle is offered ex-factory with a towbar option, it is highly
likely that the solution is built in already and there is a plug
provided for the purpose. That is certainly the case for my friend's
ML320 Benz - the wiring harness breakout point was already provided, and
compensated for in the circuitry, but the actual point was *hidden*
requiring removal of the rear bumper in order to access the hatch behind
which the plug was located. The funny thing was that everyone was
resorting to inelegant aftermarket solution not realising the solution
was right under their noses.

As for the utility of towing a trailer behind a Yaris, I would suggest
that it is not worthwhile given the difference between the tare weight
of a minimum spec trailer and the maximum gross loading that the car is
capable of towing.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Xeno" wrote in message
[...]

Thats certainly the case with my hyundai getz, I got
it fitted by the dealer when I bought the car new.

As for the utility of towing a trailer behind a Yaris, I would suggest
that it is not worthwhile given the difference between the tare weight of
a minimum spec trailer and the maximum gross loading that the car is
capable of towing.

You'd be wrong, fine for a rubbish trailer, getting something
too big to fit in the car, or moving house etc. I have done all
those with mine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/23/2019 11:36 PM, Xeno wrote:
If the vehicle is offered ex-factory with a towbar option, it is highly
likely that the solution is built in already and there is a plug
provided for the purpose. That is certainly the case for my friend's
ML320 Benz - the wiring harness breakout point was already provided, and
compensated for in the circuitry, but the actual point was *hidden*
requiring removal of the rear bumper in order to access the hatch behind
which the plug was located. The funny thing was that everyone was
resorting to inelegant aftermarket solution not realising the solution
was right under their noses.

Yeah, my F150 had a connector and the harness had a Tee fitting. Open
the connector, put the Tee in place, and plug the harness into the Tee.

As for the utility of towing a trailer behind a Yaris, I would suggest
that it is not worthwhile given the difference between the tare weight
of a minimum spec trailer and the maximum gross loading that the car is
capable of towing.

I've got a little flatbed trailer and the intent was to be able to
transport something back from town if need be. For serious work I've got
the F150.

Or I could make it clear the Yaris is not a girlie car;

http://www.hitchcorner.com/bull_balls.htm

I'd have to be careful that my balls didn't drag...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Jul 2019 15:57:38 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

That¢s certainly the case with my hyundai getz, I got
it fitted by the dealer when I bought the car new.

Oh, ****! You HAD to **** also in this thread, you abnormal 85-year-old
senile pest! tsk

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It doesn't give a price without entering a make and model, and the model
I tried didn't return a price.

Takes care of any potential problems, and bulb failure sensors are but
one potential issue.

The only other issue I can think of is if the brakes and turn signals
share the same filament, and the trailer wiring can end up connecting
the left and right turn signals together. You don't want that. They
sell a fancy device for that too, but I just used two tophat diodes, one
for the left side and one for the right and everything was fine.