Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Headlight delay setting

I don't think this is too far off topic as it
involves
cars and electricity and wiring so here goes:

Recently I bought a buick, yes I did buy a buick,
an '03 Century with low miles in good shape
but one thing really gets my goat and that is the
headlight off delay when you shut down the car!
The headlights stay on for 90 seconds and there
apparently is no way to change that! I contacted
three local repair shops and three GM dealers
for info on how to change this time to zero. Only
one dealer called back to say it was not possible
to change it! Now who, I say _who_ , is the
dumbass who decided that it is a good idea to
have the lights act this way? Huh? I'm ready to
look into the wiring on this thing and run wires
to a toggle switch to shut them off, I'm
****ed.....
Any ideas out there on what to do?
I didn't get any manuals for this car, yet....
but the dealers and auto shops should have one.
phil k.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 1, 12:29*pm, "Phil Kangas" wrote:
[...]

On my Oldsmobile, if the lights are still on, and on "AUTO", you flip
the switch to "ON" Then back to "AUTO" and they immediately turn off.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Phil Kangas wrote:

[...]

You can most likely download the owners manual from the Buick site. If
it's possible to adjust the delay, it should have instructions for doing
so. 2003 should be new enough for it to be user programmable. My 2009
F350 has a bunch of user programmable settings for lighting delays and
whatnot.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Any ideas out there on what to do?
I didn't get any manuals for this car, yet....
but the dealers and auto shops should have one.

Phil, are you sure it doesn't have a slider marked "Twilight Sentinal" on
the dash somewhere?

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Phil Kangas wrote:
[...]

You really don't have any other projects
on the table more important than this?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Stewart" wrote in
message ...
Phil Kangas wrote:
[...]

Oh I've got things to work on but this situation
is not
acceptable to me. It's just plain stupid for a car
to sit
there stopped with the headlights on for another
minute and a half, that's just nuts! And with no
way
to change the timeout setting? WTF ........ I see
way to do what I want. I just thought someone
knew of a nice way to do it but I guess not,
people
just put up with **** like this. And I got to vent
my anger
to the world hoping someone who works for GM sees
this........and hang their heads in shame...
phil

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You can most likely download the owners manual from the Buick site. If
it's possible to adjust the delay, it should have instructions for doing
so. 2003 should be new enough for it to be user programmable. My 2009
F350 has a bunch of user programmable settings for lighting delays and
whatnot.

The one the REALLY got me on my 07 F150 was the auto door lock. These
guys must have thought farmers don't use trucks. You get out and shut
the door and the vehicle locks you out. Had to go to the dealer for
this one.

The seat belt buzzer drives you friggen' nuts. Wish they'd make the
damn thing only engage if you're going 40 or more. Anyway, I did find
you can buckle and unbuckle the seat belt like 18 times and do
something else to turn it off. That is until you pull the battery,
then it resets.

I don't like the lights staying on either, I have to watch them go out
before locking up and leaving - just me I guess.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

Phil Kangas wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Fri, 1 Apr 2011 13:29:02 -0400:

Recently I bought a buick, yes I did buy a buick,
an '03 Century with low miles in good shape
but one thing really gets my goat and that is the
headlight off delay when you shut down the car!
The headlights stay on for 90 seconds and there
apparently is no way to change that!

I'm ready to
look into the wiring on this thing and run wires
to a toggle switch to shut them off, I'm
****ed.....
Any ideas out there on what to do?

I would go for the switch and relay fix.

I'm about to do this to my jeeps dome light.
It goes on when you shut the engine off.
I figure I will use the jamb switches and a toggle switch to give the
standard three choices: on, on when doors open, off.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dan" wrote in message
[...]

Good to hear I'm not the only one bitching, eih?
;)} phil

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 1, 1:37*pm, Cross-Slide wrote:
[...]

Does someone want to copy this response, so that the OP gets the
answer he is asking for?

Here is the answer, and he is complaining that no one knows the
answer...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Cross-Slide" wrote in
message
On Apr 1, 1:37 pm, Cross-Slide
wrote:
On Apr 1, 12:29 pm, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

[...]

Holy Whuh Cross Slide! I just logged on to check
this thread
and found your post and by golly you are right! I
went out and
tried it and you are right! Thank You man,
salute..... ;)}
3 shops and 3 dealers didn't know to tell me that,
heh heh...
phil k.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 14:03:39 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Any ideas out there on what to do?
I didn't get any manuals for this car, yet....
but the dealers and auto shops should have one.

Phil, are you sure it doesn't have a slider marked "Twilight Sentinal" on
the dash somewhere?

With Richard Burgi, right? That was a fun show.

P.S: "sentinel"

--
The secret of happiness is to make others believe they are the cause of it.
-- Al Batt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 13:02:40 -0700, Jim Stewart
wrote:

Phil Kangas wrote:
[...]

He was so bored he bought a _GM_ vehickull? That's sad.

Obamamobiles, signs of the (ta da!) 21st century!

--
The secret of happiness is to make others believe they are the cause of it.
-- Al Batt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 17:41:29 -0400, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

Oh I've got things to work on but this situation
is not
acceptable to me. It's just plain stupid for a car
to sit
there stopped with the headlights on for another
minute and a half, that's just nuts! And with no
way
to change the timeout setting? WTF ........ I see
way to do what I want. I just thought someone
knew of a nice way to do it but I guess not,
people
just put up with **** like this. And I got to vent
my anger
to the world hoping someone who works for GM sees
this........and hang their heads in shame...

Phil, I'll bet that all the other old fogies driving Buicks are
thankful for the delay because they haven't gotten off their lazy
asses and changed the bulb in the garage door openers which were
supoosed to come on when the door opened and stay on for a minute or
so after you closed it so you could see to get into your house.

Ya damned Luddite.

--
The secret of happiness is to make others believe they are the cause of it.
-- Al Batt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Phil Kangas" wrote in
message ...

"Cross-Slide" wrote in
message
On Apr 1, 1:37 pm, Cross-Slide
wrote:
On Apr 1, 12:29 pm, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

[...]

Did you come up with this CS or was it Lloyd? I
haven't seen that post by Lloyd and so I thought
you said it. I'm confused now... Thank you guys
anyway for the answer. Do I owe Lloyd a beer now?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 1, 8:31*pm, "Phil Kangas" wrote:
"Phil Kangas" wrote in

Did you come up with this CS or was it Lloyd? I
haven't seen that post by Lloyd and so I thought
you said it. I'm confused now... Thank you guys
anyway for the answer. Do I owe Lloyd a beer now?

I came up with the answer.

You will have to drink the beer, and describe it.
Until you figure out how to email a beer.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Phil, I'll bet that all the other old fogies
driving Buicks are
thankful for the delay because they haven't
gotten off their lazy
asses and changed the bulb in the garage door
openers which were
supoosed to come on when the door opened and
stay on for a minute or
so after you closed it so you could see to get
into your house.

Ya damned Luddite.

Yah, I'm an offical geezer now, got a cane a buick
and a
social security check..... ;)}
I can get in and out of this car pretty good,
that's why the
purchase.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Cross-Slide" wrote in
message
On Apr 1, 8:31 pm, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:
"Phil Kangas" wrote in

Did you come up with this CS or was it Lloyd? I
haven't seen that post by Lloyd and so I thought
you said it. I'm confused now... Thank you guys
anyway for the answer. Do I owe Lloyd a beer
now?

I came up with the answer.

You will have to drink the beer, and describe it.
Until you figure out how to email a beer.

Heh heh, tanks gain eihlL? hic .....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Phil Kangas" fired this volley in news:in5upo
:

I came up with the answer.

You will have to drink the beer, and describe it.
Until you figure out how to email a beer.

Yeah, he did. Some of the better-equipped models came out with a slider
on the dash called "twilight sentinal" that would set a delay for off,
and would auto-on the lights when it got dark.

The lesser-equipped models just had auto-on, and you had to over-ride
it... and I plain forgot that.

Email the beer to Cross-Slide.

LLoyd
(BTW... have a '97 LeSabre getting _average_ 28.7mpg with ordinary
commutes.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in message
. 3.70...
"Phil Kangas" fired this
volley in news:in5upo
:

I came up with the answer.

You will have to drink the beer, and describe
it.
Until you figure out how to email a beer.

Yeah, he did. Some of the better-equipped
models came out with a slider
on the dash called "twilight sentinal" that
would set a delay for off,
and would auto-on the lights when it got dark.

The lesser-equipped models just had auto-on, and
you had to over-ride
it... and I plain forgot that.

Email the beer to Cross-Slide.

LLoyd
(BTW... have a '97 LeSabre getting _average_
28.7mpg with ordinary
commutes.)

This is a lesser model then, gotta do it manual
but that's ok.
Getting about 27 mpg with this one.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 21:37:09 -0400, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Phil, I'll bet that all the other old fogies
driving Buicks are
thankful for the delay because they haven't
gotten off their lazy
asses and changed the bulb in the garage door
openers which were
supoosed to come on when the door opened and
stay on for a minute or
so after you closed it so you could see to get
into your house.

Ya damned Luddite.

Yah, I'm an offical geezer now, got a cane a buick
and a
social security check..... ;)}
I can get in and out of this car pretty good,
that's why the
purchase.

Don't feel too bad. When I was recovering from a back injury I bought
a Ford Pinto with an automatic because it was cheap and easy to get
into and out of. I couldn't even turn the wheel in the '72 Scout at
the time.

So, have you bought the DVD yet?
http://www.canemasters.com/canefu-c-51.html

--
The secret of happiness is to make others believe they are the cause of it.
-- Al Batt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cross-Slide wrote:
On Apr 1, 1:37 pm, wrote:

(...)

On my Oldsmobile, if the lights are still on, and on "AUTO", you flip
the switch to "ON" Then back to "AUTO" and they immediately turn off.

Does someone want to copy this response, so that the OP gets the
answer he is asking for?

Here is the answer, and he is complaining that no one knows the
answer...

Yup. On my Camry, I just flip the knob from 'auto' to 'off'
and back to 'auto' again. Lights immediately go out.
I've done that so often that it is automatic now.

On the rare occasion that I close the door before turning
off the lights, I can just bip the 'lock' button on the
key and the lights go out.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Phil Kangas" wrote:

[...]

Phil,

Glad your problem is solved!

If you want to get a set of 'for real' factory shop manuals for the car,
check this outfit:

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/

Check them for an owners manual too.

I always get factory shop manuals for my cars... the two times I bought
new, I got the dealers to throw them in as part of the deal. I suggest
getting them all, as there will probably be multiple volumes.

I have no personal affiliation or experience with Faxon, but several
friends have been more than impressed with them.

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 19:08:50 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 21:37:09 -0400, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Canemasters is VERY good.

I have several canes I work with and carry one when I go into certain
areas and bars of low repute.

A gent found out why one night about 4 yrs ago. Shrug

Saved me from having to shoot him.

Gunner

--

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."
Robert A. Heinlein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Erik"
Phil,

Glad your problem is solved!

If you want to get a set of 'for real' factory
shop manuals for the car,
check this outfit:

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/

Check them for an owners manual too.

I always get factory shop manuals for my cars...
the two times I bought
new, I got the dealers to throw them in as part
of the deal. I suggest
getting them all, as there will probably be
multiple volumes.

I have no personal affiliation or experience
with Faxon, but several
friends have been more than impressed with them.

Erik

Here's another site for manuals:

www.books4cars.com

Another strange thing I found on this car was the
headlight
alignment set by the previous owner. The high beam
was
set up as far as possible and the low beam was set
close.
Why, I wondered, is it like that? Since the car
came from
Milwaukee perhaps it was used a lot in heavy
traffic and
the highs were not used much so were set high to
see the
highway exit signs? And the low beams low so as to
not
annoy the car ahead? Maybe........

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 20:53:12 -0700, Erik wrote:

In article ,
"Phil Kangas" wrote:

[...]

Darn, they don't have any manuals for my Tundra. Toyota gets your
firstborn, an arm, a leg, and one testicle (plus cash) for them.

--
Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins
when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 11:09:24 -0400, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

[...]

Huntin' squirrels. Usually, though, it's because some idiot
tried to replace a bulb and turned the adjuster screw instead of
removing a headlight surround screw. These brilliant folks don't know
enough to return the screw to its original position. I did a whole
lot of CHP-approved headlight adjustments back when I had my CA smog
license and worked for the body shop.

--
Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins
when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in
order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary.
-- Peter Minard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

All you need to do is: after you shut down the engine, pull out, then push
in the manual light switch on the dash and the lights turn off.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

You can most likely download the owners manual from the Buick site. If
it's possible to adjust the delay, it should have instructions for doing
so. 2003 should be new enough for it to be user programmable. My 2009
F350 has a bunch of user programmable settings for lighting delays and
whatnot.

The one the REALLY got me on my 07 F150 was the auto door lock. These
guys must have thought farmers don't use trucks. You get out and shut
the door and the vehicle locks you out. Had to go to the dealer for
this one.

Auto lock, auto unlock headlight delay and a bunch of other stuff are
programmable and listed in the owners manual.

The seat belt buzzer drives you friggen' nuts. Wish they'd make the
damn thing only engage if you're going 40 or more. Anyway, I did find
you can buckle and unbuckle the seat belt like 18 times and do
something else to turn it off. That is until you pull the battery,
then it resets.

Yes, there is a complex dance documented in the service manual to
disable the "belt minder", that was one of the things I did in the first
couple weeks of owning the truck, and that was only because the manual
was on back order for a week or so.

I don't like the lights staying on either, I have to watch them go out
before locking up and leaving - just me I guess.

Just you. I like the delay, it gives me time to get to the door of the
house and get the key in the lock before the lights go out. I've got it
set for something like 1 min.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What I do..and I have the same exact car is put the emergency brake on and turn to parking lights and then back off..that seems to do it...its a pain in the #$;@

Delay, DeLay Gus Metalworking 1 April 8th 06 11:08 PM
how to change headlight on renault clio? Connor T UK diy 10 December 7th 05 08:16 AM
Car headlight (no response on Car Maintenance) john UK diy 4 November 23rd 05 04:35 PM
OT - Delay, Delay Cliff Metalworking 127 April 21st 05 09:06 AM
OT - Delay, Delay Steve Mackay Metalworking 3 April 9th 05 01:02 PM