Posted to alt.home.repair
Xeno Xeno is offline

Default Basic automotive headlight bulbs

On 24/7/19 12:09 pm, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 24 Jul 2019 00:20:45 +1000, Xeno
wrote:

On 23/7/19 11:46 pm, rbowman wrote:
On 07/22/2019 11:58 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
Â* What car do you have that doesn't have replaceable bulbs (that are
not LED)?

I was mistaken. The bulbs can be replaced although it's a major pain in
the ass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBYUh-ys92Q

If I ever have to do it, I'll replace the entire shebang. They're
getting cloudy after 8 years and by the time I'd buy one of the
polishing kits and screw around it wouldn't be worth it. Hey, it's the
throwaway generation, right?

It would be worth buying a polishing kit. I bought a bottle of headlight
cleaner and in no time I had headlights that were almost like new on a
15 year old car.

The tail lights are more accessible. I haven't had to replace them but I
checked them out for splicing in a trailer light harness. Unfortunately
I haven't been able to find a T connector and the wires are a little
delicate looking for a squeeze on connector.

Strip the wires a little and solder in the trailer wires. Wrap with
silicone tape for the best finish.

If your car is a recent model, and has *bulb failure sensors*, it's
highly likely you won't be able to splice in the wires at the rear.

Say you do it anyhow. It will only cause trouble when the trailer is
plugged in, right? And most of the time for most people the trailer is
not connected.

The easiest way is to add one of these;

https://www.milford-auto.com/product...g_harness_kits

Takes care of any potential problems, and bulb failure sensors are but
one potential issue.

Adding a trailer bulb's resistance (or lack of it - bulbs in parallel
and all that) direct into the wiring circuit without adding a special
active trailer harness is going to cause you pain..

If I ever have to buy another car I'll look for something from the
mid'90s. That was the sweet spot for cars. FI, decent ignition systems,
and not as much extraneous ****.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)