Dan_Musicant

Default New roof - what to install for antenna mast?

I'm having my roof completely removed and a new composite shingle roof
installed in a week. Right now I have one of my two TV antenna's masts
lashed to a vent that I'm going to have removed during the roofing job
(it isn't used). While the roof materials have been removed to the skip
sheathing I figure is the time to install something to which I can
either attach the antenna directly or attach the antenna's mast, which
is a standard antenna mast, about 8 feet long. A friend has suggested a
piece of galvanized pipe, capped at the top. Is this the best solution?
Thanks for any ideas.

Dan
DanG

Are you planning on fastening the heavy pipe down through the roof
and tie it in strong enough to be a rigid pole holder or were you
planning to use guy wires on the antenna?

Try to avoid using guy wires if you can which will necessitate
holes in a new roof or setting pitch pans.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
I'm having my roof completely removed and a new composite
shingle roof
installed in a week. Right now I have one of my two TV antenna's
masts
lashed to a vent that I'm going to have removed during the
roofing job
(it isn't used). While the roof materials have been removed to
the skip
sheathing I figure is the time to install something to which I
can
either attach the antenna directly or attach the antenna's mast,
which
is a standard antenna mast, about 8 feet long. A friend has
suggested a
piece of galvanized pipe, capped at the top. Is this the best
solution?
Thanks for any ideas.

Dan

Roger Taylor

"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
I'm having my roof completely removed and a new composite shingle roof
installed in a week. Right now I have one of my two TV antenna's masts
lashed to a vent that I'm going to have removed during the roofing job
(it isn't used). While the roof materials have been removed to the skip
sheathing I figure is the time to install something to which I can
either attach the antenna directly or attach the antenna's mast, which
is a standard antenna mast, about 8 feet long. A friend has suggested a
piece of galvanized pipe, capped at the top. Is this the best solution?
Thanks for any ideas.

I don't know how knowledgeable your roofer is, but there must be some kind
of bracket or plate that can be attached directly to the roof ridge decking,
or even better, to the rafters and diagonals under the decking. The point
is, you need to get advice and install it before the roof goes on, so the
roofer can properly flash around it, after the roof is done. I would check
with a ham radio operator, an antenna retailer, as well as a carpenter, to
see what your options are. Try to avoid a system that mounts after the roof
is on, and uses guy wires. You might also look around your neighborhood to
see how others have handled it, for similar sized mast antennas.

Roy Starrin

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 18:40:24 GMT, Dan_Musicant
wrote:

I figure is the time to install something to which I can
either attach the antenna directly or attach the antenna's mast, which
is a standard antenna mast, about 8 feet long. A friend has suggested a
piece of galvanized pipe, capped at the top. Is this the best solution?
Thanks for any ideas.

There is mounting hardware that goes across the gable ends. If you
have that kind of roof it might work for you. There are also "wall
mounts" that go on the end of the house.
Here are some representative mounts based on a google search:
http://skyvision.com/store/off-air_accessories.html

Roys advice is best unless for some reasion you have to place the
antenna in a special location if so the heavy capped pipe idea is good
just be sure it is well bolted to your 2x6s both at celing and roof
levels. you do not want it turning or wiggling around in the
flashing.

wrote:

I'm having my roof completely removed and a new composite shingle roof
installed in a week. Right now I have one of my two TV antenna's masts
lashed to a vent that I'm going to have removed during the roofing job
(it isn't used). While the roof materials have been removed to the skip
sheathing I figure is the time to install something to which I can
either attach the antenna directly or attach the antenna's mast, which
is a standard antenna mast, about 8 feet long. A friend has suggested a
piece of galvanized pipe, capped at the top. Is this the best solution?
Thanks for any ideas.

Dan

Dan_Musicant

:
:Try to avoid using guy wires if you can which will necessitate
:holes in a new roof or setting pitch pans.

Yes, rigid pipe that won't twist. I figure one of two things. Either a
pipe I can attach the antenna to directly or the antenna's current 8'
mast.

Dan

Dan_Musicant

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 17:46:20 -0700, "Roger Taylor"
wrote:

:"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I haven't looked extensively, but all the antennas I've seen are either
mounted to chimneys or with brackets to big vents (~4" vents). Yes, I
figure an antenna retailer would have ideas. For sure I want whatever I
put up there to be done before they put down the plywood sheathing,
felt, shingles. And, like you say, it has to be flashed. I guess I'll
call the estimator I've been dealing with and ask and see if he has an
idea. I have a few other issues to run by him, anyway. He's very
experienced and I have a fair amount of trust in him - just a feeling.

Get cable TV and avoid the hassle.-Jitney

I use antenna for local digital channels Also cable in our area has
poor quality and high price. I find directv preferable.

On 17 Oct 2005 01:18:11 -0700, wrote:

Get cable TV and avoid the hassle.-Jitney

Dan_Musicant

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 18:17:36 -0400, " uriah wrote:

:I use antenna for local digital channels Also cable in our area has
oor quality and high price. I find directv preferable.

When I had cable, it was inferior in quality signalwise to OTA. It may
be different now, but the monthly charges are still currently inferior
to freebie OTA!

Dan
:
:On 17 Oct 2005 01:18:11 -0700, wrote:
:
: Get cable TV and avoid the hassle.-Jitney

Chantecler Windows and Doors Brian White Home Repair 3 June 6th 16 11:22 PM
FLAT ROOF - modern recovering methods? Richard Sterry UK diy 10 March 29th 04 10:28 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
shingle or metal roof? [email protected] Home Repair 0 August 30th 03 04:15 PM