Dan_Musicant

Default New roof - what to install for antenna mast?

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 17:46:20 -0700, "Roger Taylor"
wrote:

:"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
.. .
: I'm having my roof completely removed and a new composite shingle roof
: installed in a week. Right now I have one of my two TV antenna's masts
: lashed to a vent that I'm going to have removed during the roofing job
: (it isn't used). While the roof materials have been removed to the skip
: sheathing I figure is the time to install something to which I can
: either attach the antenna directly or attach the antenna's mast, which
: is a standard antenna mast, about 8 feet long. A friend has suggested a
: piece of galvanized pipe, capped at the top. Is this the best solution?
: Thanks for any ideas.
:I don't know how knowledgeable your roofer is, but there must be some kind
f bracket or plate that can be attached directly to the roof ridge decking,
r even better, to the rafters and diagonals under the decking. The point
:is, you need to get advice and install it before the roof goes on, so the
:roofer can properly flash around it, after the roof is done. I would check
:with a ham radio operator, an antenna retailer, as well as a carpenter, to
:see what your options are. Try to avoid a system that mounts after the roof
:is on, and uses guy wires. You might also look around your neighborhood to
:see how others have handled it, for similar sized mast antennas.

I haven't looked extensively, but all the antennas I've seen are either
mounted to chimneys or with brackets to big vents (~4" vents). Yes, I
figure an antenna retailer would have ideas. For sure I want whatever I
put up there to be done before they put down the plywood sheathing,
felt, shingles. And, like you say, it has to be flashed. I guess I'll
call the estimator I've been dealing with and ask and see if he has an
idea. I have a few other issues to run by him, anyway. He's very
experienced and I have a fair amount of trust in him - just a feeling.