Roger Taylor

Default New roof - what to install for antenna mast?

"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
I'm having my roof completely removed and a new composite shingle roof
installed in a week. Right now I have one of my two TV antenna's masts
lashed to a vent that I'm going to have removed during the roofing job
(it isn't used). While the roof materials have been removed to the skip
sheathing I figure is the time to install something to which I can
either attach the antenna directly or attach the antenna's mast, which
is a standard antenna mast, about 8 feet long. A friend has suggested a
piece of galvanized pipe, capped at the top. Is this the best solution?
Thanks for any ideas.

I don't know how knowledgeable your roofer is, but there must be some kind
of bracket or plate that can be attached directly to the roof ridge decking,
or even better, to the rafters and diagonals under the decking. The point
is, you need to get advice and install it before the roof goes on, so the
roofer can properly flash around it, after the roof is done. I would check
with a ham radio operator, an antenna retailer, as well as a carpenter, to
see what your options are. Try to avoid a system that mounts after the roof
is on, and uses guy wires. You might also look around your neighborhood to
see how others have handled it, for similar sized mast antennas.