Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing an outdoor wall sconce.

Hi, I need some advice.

I want to install a new wall sconce (like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-B...0317/202021766) on the exterior of my garage wall, where no light was before located. The garage wall is unfinished concrete block, both interior and exterior. I already drilled a 1" diameter hole through the block and inserted a 1"dia schedule 40 PVC electrical conduit through the hole. I am going to need a junction box, somehow on the outside, that would be covered by the wall sconce's collar. Unless it is the only NEC-approved method of installing an outdoor wall sconce, I would rather not cold-chisel-carve out a notch into the exterior of the block that would be big enough to insert (from outside) and bury a junction box within the concrete block. Is there an elegant way to do this? Is there some type of prefab mounting block that's deep enough to accomodate a (for example) 1"deep junction box within it?
All advice and references to examples are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Theodore
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 10:33:36 PM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

There are special shallow boxes only about an inch deep that you can use outside that might not be too deep for the base of the lamp fixture. I have seen them both in plastic and metal. I would go for the plastic if it is exposed to the weather.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 8:33:36 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

Although it would be against the rules of the NEC
it would not be against its purpose
if you didnt use any box at all
since concrete block is not going to burn
if there is a short.
If you want to stick to the rules
you might buy a paving stone
and make a hole in the middle for a box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 20:33:34 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

You want one of these.
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...d47e5_1000.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

+1 Once the light is installed, run a bead of caulk around the
outside to keep the ran and moisture out. Acrylic latex is a good
choice. IMO.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 11:33:36 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Others have already suggested the shallow junction box, which is perfect
for this application.

$4.97? Here's my question:

How the heck can every one involved in the creation of that unit make
any money?

From the raw materials for the fixture, the raw materials for the packaging,
the shipping of those materials to the manufacturer(s), the inventory paperwork
at every level, the manufacture of the unit itself, the manufacture of the
packaging, the printing of the instructions, the lawyers that wrote the
disclaimers, the trucking of all of that stuff to various companies along the
way, the sales staff at the store, etc.

I don't know how many steps are involved or how many different entities
touched the pieces and parts of that fixture, but it amazes me that
everyone in the chain made money at a selling price of $4.97.

Sure, the easy answer is "volume" but the profit margin has to be fractions
of pennies to everyone along the way. I know that it all "works" but it
just amazes me when I look all the way back to the guy cutting down the tree
to make the box and the oil coming out of the ground to make the plastic and
everything else that has to happen between then and time the customer scans
the item at the store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 09:34:25 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

From the raw materials for the fixture, the raw materials for the packaging,
[...]

It was made by some Asian person making a couple bucks a day.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

From the raw materials for the fixture, the raw materials for the packaging,
[...]

That Asian person was just one small (and inexpensive) part of the end-to-end
stream from the natural resource to the purchased product.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

From the raw materials for the fixture, the raw materials for the packaging,
[...]

That goes from the scrap metal we sell them to packed in the box and
loaded in a container in that same Asian country. At that point it is
still a dollar part.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

From the raw materials for the fixture, the raw materials for the packaging,
[...]

I'm still wondering how those Chinese on Ebay manage to sell things for
$2, including free shipping to the USA. I just bought a USB hard drive
interface that works with IDE or SATA for $3.75. I got two very long
drill bits for $4. Those would have been $10 at HD, if they even
had them. And there is a lot of stuff on there for just $2,
maybe even $1.

But heh, Trump is going to rescue us from those horrors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

From the raw materials for the fixture, the raw materials for
the packaging, the shipping of those materials to the
[...]

You could move there is you love them so much.
Bet you are way too much of a coward to go live like you preach.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm still wondering how those Chinese on Ebay manage to sell things for
$2, including free shipping to the USA. I just bought a USB hard drive
interface that works with IDE or SATA for $3.75. I got two very long
drill bits for $4. Those would have been $10 at HD, if they even
had them. And there is a lot of stuff on there for just $2,
maybe even $1.

But heh, Trump is going to rescue us from those horrors.

Part of this is the international postal union. Our post office has to
carry Chinese goods at the rate they set. Basically our postal
workers are also competing with the chinese nose to nose.
When I sent some cameras to China my shipping cost was pretty much the
price to get them to Long Beach so there is a flip side to that.
China will dump a container of presorted mail on the dock and USPS
carries from there pretty much for free.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 11, 2016 at 9:45:32 AM UTC-5, burfordTjustice wrote:

I'm still wondering how those Chinese on Ebay manage to sell things
for $2, including free shipping to the USA. I just bought a USB hard
drive interface that works with IDE or SATA for $3.75. I got two
very long drill bits for $4. Those would have been $10 at HD, if
they even had them. And there is a lot of stuff on there for just
$2, maybe even $1.

But heh, Trump is going to rescue us from those horrors.

You could move there is you love them so much.
Bet you are way too much of a coward to go live like you preach.

It's your boy Trump who doesn't live like he preaches. He rants about
and attacks American companies who build factories overseas. But what
does Trump do? He imports cheap clothes from China and builds golf courses
in Scotland. Those are just a couple examples. Why isn't he having his
clothes made here by American workers? Why is he putting his money
to work overseas, instead
of limiting it to the USA? Why build a golf course in Scotland when
he could be building it in Scotsdale? Now that is hypocrisy! A
Trump person just visited officials in Taiwan, to see about participating
in the biggest project there in their history. Gee, you think that
might have something to do with Trump taking calls from the Taiwan president?
Trump has one set of rules for himself, one for everyone else.

All hail Trump!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm still wondering how those Chinese on Ebay manage to sell things for
$2, including free shipping to the USA. I just bought a USB hard drive
interface that works with IDE or SATA for $3.75. I got two very long
drill bits for $4. Those would have been $10 at HD, if they even
had them. And there is a lot of stuff on there for just $2,
maybe even $1.

But heh, Trump is going to rescue us from those horrors.

Part of this is the international postal union. Our post office has to
carry Chinese goods at the rate they set. Basically our postal
workers are also competing with the chinese nose to nose.
When I sent some cameras to China my shipping cost was pretty much the
price to get them to Long Beach so there is a flip side to that.
China will dump a container of presorted mail on the dock and USPS
carries from there pretty much for free.

Does Trump know about that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi, I'm the OP.
Yes, I thought about one of those pancake electrical boxes. If I purposefully wanted to go deeper, I was thinking of maybe sandwiching two pieces of 3/4" azek together, routing a nice trim around the perimeter, and cutting out a 4" dia hole in the center to accomodate a typical 1"deep box. Then caulking around the whole thing against the concrete block.

The reason I want to go with a deeper box is twofold: I'm using 12AWG wire (and I think a pancake box is not deep enough by NEC), and I was also considering dropping a metal conduit down from behind this light to an outlet. This wat the outlet would be on the same switch.

Any pros/cons or other thoughts on that?
Much appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 11, 2016 at 5:37:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi, I'm the OP.
Yes, I thought about one of those pancake electrical boxes. If I purposefully wanted to go deeper, I was thinking of maybe sandwiching two pieces of 3/4" azek together, routing a nice trim around the perimeter, and cutting out a 4" dia hole in the center to accomodate a typical 1"deep box. Then caulking around the whole thing against the concrete block.

The reason I want to go with a deeper box is twofold: I'm using 12AWG wire (and I think a pancake box is not deep enough by NEC), and I was also considering dropping a metal conduit down from behind this light to an outlet. This wat the outlet would be on the same switch.

Any pros/cons or other thoughts on that?
Much appreciated.

I was going to suggest something like a chunk of thick vinyl stock as a backplate/surround
for a deeper box. I just never got around to posting it. If you plan to drop some conduit down
to a receptacle, then that seems like the way to go.

That said, why would you want the receptacle on a switch? I'd wire it so that the receptacle
was always hot. Either way, make sure it is GFCI protected.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Many outdoor wall-mounted fixtures have built-in light sensors. I have one on the front of our house between our 2 separate single family width garage doors. I have a second one that only comes on if it senses a person after dark. So, both are fully powered at all times (unless the circuit breaker or GFCI trips).

Having a switch will just cause confusion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 11, 2016 at 10:23:23 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Many outdoor wall-mounted fixtures have built-in light sensors. I have one on the front of our house between our 2 separate single family width garage doors. I have a second one that only comes on if it senses a person after dark. So, both are fully powered at all times (unless the circuit breaker or GFCI trips).

Having a switch will just cause confusion.

The $4.97 fixture he plans on using does not have a sensor. That's OK. He can get one when
the $4.97 fixture fails in a few months.

You Light Up the Room - Wall Sconce [email protected] Home Repair 0 September 30th 08 09:41 PM
You Light Up the Room - Wall Sconce [email protected] Home Repair 0 September 30th 08 06:48 PM
LED bed lamp or wall sconce? [email protected] Home Repair 0 June 30th 08 04:54 PM
Wall Sconce Recall Greg Home Repair 5 March 23rd 07 10:26 PM
Wall Sconce Recall Greg Home Ownership 5 March 23rd 07 10:26 PM