View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster

Default Installing an outdoor wall sconce.

On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 10:33:36 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Hi, I need some advice.

I want to install a new wall sconce (like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-B...0317/202021766) on the exterior of my garage wall, where no light was before located. The garage wall is unfinished concrete block, both interior and exterior. I already drilled a 1" diameter hole through the block and inserted a 1"dia schedule 40 PVC electrical conduit through the hole. I am going to need a junction box, somehow on the outside, that would be covered by the wall sconce's collar. Unless it is the only NEC-approved method of installing an outdoor wall sconce, I would rather not cold-chisel-carve out a notch into the exterior of the block that would be big enough to insert (from outside) and bury a junction box within the concrete block. Is there an elegant way to do this? Is there some type of prefab mounting block that's deep enough to accomodate a (for example) 1"deep junction box within it?
All advice and references to examples are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Theodore

There are special shallow boxes only about an inch deep that you can use outside that might not be too deep for the base of the lamp fixture. I have seen them both in plastic and metal. I would go for the plastic if it is exposed to the weather.