Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Installing an outdoor wall sconce.

On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 8:15:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 09:34:25 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 11:33:36 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi, I need some advice.

I want to install a new wall sconce (like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-B...0317/202021766) on the exterior of my garage wall, where no light was before located. The garage wall is unfinished concrete block, both interior and exterior. I already drilled a 1" diameter hole through the block and inserted a 1"dia schedule 40 PVC electrical conduit through the hole. I am going to need a junction box, somehow on the outside, that would be covered by the wall sconce's collar. Unless it is the only NEC-approved method of installing an outdoor wall sconce, I would rather not cold-chisel-carve out a notch into the exterior of the block that would be big enough to insert (from outside) and bury a junction box within the concrete block. Is there an elegant way to do this? Is there some type of prefab mounting block that's deep enough to accomodate a (for example) 1"deep junction box within it?
All advice and references to examples are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Theodore

Others have already suggested the shallow junction box, which is perfect
for this application.

$4.97? Here's my question:

How the heck can every one involved in the creation of that unit make
any money?

From the raw materials for the fixture, the raw materials for the packaging,
the shipping of those materials to the manufacturer(s), the inventory paperwork
at every level, the manufacture of the unit itself, the manufacture of the
packaging, the printing of the instructions, the lawyers that wrote the
disclaimers, the trucking of all of that stuff to various companies along the
way, the sales staff at the store, etc.

I don't know how many steps are involved or how many different entities
touched the pieces and parts of that fixture, but it amazes me that
everyone in the chain made money at a selling price of $4.97.

Sure, the easy answer is "volume" but the profit margin has to be fractions
of pennies to everyone along the way. I know that it all "works" but it
just amazes me when I look all the way back to the guy cutting down the tree
to make the box and the oil coming out of the ground to make the plastic and
everything else that has to happen between then and time the customer scans
the item at the store.

It was made by some Asian person making a couple bucks a day.

That Asian person was just one small (and inexpensive) part of the end-to-end
stream from the natural resource to the purchased product.