Posted to alt.home.repair
burfordTjustice burfordTjustice is offline

Default Installing an outdoor wall sconce.

On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 06:35:34 -0800 (PST)
trader_4 wrote:

On Sunday, December 11, 2016 at 12:00:23 AM UTC-5,
wrote:
On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 19:38:45 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 8:15:02 PM UTC-5,
wrote:
On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 09:34:25 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 11:33:36 PM UTC-5,
wrote:
Hi, I need some advice.

I want to install a new wall sconce (like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-B...0317/202021766)
on the exterior of my garage wall, where no light was before
located. The garage wall is unfinished concrete block, both
interior and exterior. I already drilled a 1" diameter hole
through the block and inserted a 1"dia schedule 40 PVC
electrical conduit through the hole. I am going to need a
junction box, somehow on the outside, that would be covered
by the wall sconce's collar. Unless it is the only
NEC-approved method of installing an outdoor wall sconce, I
would rather not cold-chisel-carve out a notch into the
exterior of the block that would be big enough to insert
(from outside) and bury a junction box within the concrete
block. Is there an elegant way to do this? Is there some
type of prefab mounting block that's deep enough to
accomodate a (for example) 1"deep junction box within it? All
advice and references to examples are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Theodore

Others have already suggested the shallow junction box, which
is perfect for this application.

$4.97? Here's my question:

How the heck can every one involved in the creation of that
unit make any money?

From the raw materials for the fixture, the raw materials for
the packaging, the shipping of those materials to the
manufacturer(s), the inventory paperwork at every level, the
manufacture of the unit itself, the manufacture of the
packaging, the printing of the instructions, the lawyers that
wrote the disclaimers, the trucking of all of that stuff to
various companies along the way, the sales staff at the store,
etc.

I don't know how many steps are involved or how many different
entities touched the pieces and parts of that fixture, but it
amazes me that everyone in the chain made money at a selling
price of $4.97.

Sure, the easy answer is "volume" but the profit margin has to
be fractions of pennies to everyone along the way. I know that
it all "works" but it just amazes me when I look all the way
back to the guy cutting down the tree to make the box and the
oil coming out of the ground to make the plastic and everything
else that has to happen between then and time the customer
scans the item at the store.

It was made by some Asian person making a couple bucks a day.

That Asian person was just one small (and inexpensive) part of the
end-to-end stream from the natural resource to the purchased
product.

That goes from the scrap metal we sell them to packed in the box and
loaded in a container in that same Asian country. At that point it
is still a dollar part.

I'm still wondering how those Chinese on Ebay manage to sell things
for $2, including free shipping to the USA. I just bought a USB hard
drive interface that works with IDE or SATA for $3.75. I got two
very long drill bits for $4. Those would have been $10 at HD, if
they even had them. And there is a lot of stuff on there for just
$2, maybe even $1.

But heh, Trump is going to rescue us from those horrors.

You could move there is you love them so much.
Bet you are way too much of a coward to go live like you preach.