Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Shantanu Sen

Default faucet repair question

I have a question regarding faucet repair - somehow, on my first try on
repairing a simple drip problem, I screwed up so that the output from the
spout is now down to a trickle!!

I have a two handle peerless faucet on one of the bathrooms. The right one
had a steady drip so I decided that I will try to fix it. I looked up
various how-to docs and then followed the standard instructions and took out
the stem. I found that it is a cartridge type stem - there are no washers
only a couple of O rings. Initially I tried replacing the O ring but that
did not help. The drip was still there but at this point the both the
faucets worked ok as far as the water output is concerned.

Then I saw that the instructions
(http://www.stemdoctor.com/2_handle_b...cet_repair.htm)
said to replace the cartridge if there are nicks at the bottom. So, I got a
RP1740 stem unit assembly from Delta (it said that it works for peerless
also). I followed the instructions and replaced the stem. The problem is
that now the drip is still there and there is almost no water output from
both the handles. I somehow must have setup something incorrectly but cannot
figure out what.

The left handle was working fine before, but now when I turn it on, a thin
trickle is coming out of the spout. The water must be losing pressure
somewhere - my feeling is that somehow the water is not blocked on the right
when I close the right handle and open the left handle. I have tried to
re-install the old stem assembly, but have the same problem....very thin
water output when I turn either of the handles. But the water pressure is
there, since when I just plug in the right stem but do not tighten the lock
nut and then turn on the left handle, the water pressure is popping out the
right stem.

I feel I am missing something obvious. Any pointers?

Thanks for any help.
Shantanu Sen

Al Bundy

Shantanu Sen wrote:
[...]

Some faucets have a filter screen right at the spout that can be
removed and cleaned. If you do, unscrew it and try the water then.
something might have gotten in the line while you were working. As a
matter of fact you could turn the water pressure off and remove the
faucets and pour water through just to see if anything is in there. If
not, then you do have the parts misassembled.

Shantanu Sen

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
ups.com...

Shantanu Sen wrote:
I have a question regarding faucet repair - somehow, on my first try
on repairing a simple drip problem, I screwed up so that the output from
the
spout is now down to a trickle!!

I have a two handle peerless faucet on one of the bathrooms. The right
one
had a steady drip so I decided that I will try to fix it. I looked up
various how-to docs and then followed the standard instructions and took
out the stem. I found that it is a cartridge type stem - there are no

snip
I feel I am missing something obvious. Any pointers?

Thanks for any help.
Shantanu Sen

Some faucets have a filter screen right at the spout that can be
removed and cleaned. If you do, unscrew it and try the water then.
something might have gotten in the line while you were working. As a
matter of fact you could turn the water pressure off and remove the
faucets and pour water through just to see if anything is in there. If
not, then you do have the parts misassembled.

That was it - after I took out the filter screen and cleaned it everything
was fine.
I knew I was missing something obvious. Thanks.

The drip is still there though. So now that I have changed the stem for
nothing, I
guess I have to replace the spring and the washer at the base and if that
fails
buff the base with steel wool...oh well...

Thanks,
Shantanu