Shantanu Sen

Default faucet repair question

I have a question regarding faucet repair - somehow, on my first try on
repairing a simple drip problem, I screwed up so that the output from the
spout is now down to a trickle!!

I have a two handle peerless faucet on one of the bathrooms. The right one
had a steady drip so I decided that I will try to fix it. I looked up
various how-to docs and then followed the standard instructions and took out
the stem. I found that it is a cartridge type stem - there are no washers
only a couple of O rings. Initially I tried replacing the O ring but that
did not help. The drip was still there but at this point the both the
faucets worked ok as far as the water output is concerned.

Then I saw that the instructions
(http://www.stemdoctor.com/2_handle_b...cet_repair.htm)
said to replace the cartridge if there are nicks at the bottom. So, I got a
RP1740 stem unit assembly from Delta (it said that it works for peerless
also). I followed the instructions and replaced the stem. The problem is
that now the drip is still there and there is almost no water output from
both the handles. I somehow must have setup something incorrectly but cannot
figure out what.

The left handle was working fine before, but now when I turn it on, a thin
trickle is coming out of the spout. The water must be losing pressure
somewhere - my feeling is that somehow the water is not blocked on the right
when I close the right handle and open the left handle. I have tried to
re-install the old stem assembly, but have the same problem....very thin
water output when I turn either of the handles. But the water pressure is
there, since when I just plug in the right stem but do not tighten the lock
nut and then turn on the left handle, the water pressure is popping out the
right stem.

I feel I am missing something obvious. Any pointers?

Thanks for any help.
Shantanu Sen