Woodworking (rec.woodworking) Discussion forum covering all aspects of working with wood. All levels of expertise are encouraged to particiapte.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old March 23rd 05, 03:38 PM
 
Posts: n/a
Default powermatic 71 cabinet saw

Local auction will be selling an older Powermatic cabinet saw, Model
71. Searching here reveals little on this saw; www.OWWM has a bit
more, and some pics; a call to Powermatic turns up only scant info, no
manual, and a parts diagram/list (which they helpfully e-mailed).

What I know: early 60s manufacture date; listed as a 12" blade, 230v
saw; the sale saw was probably used in a high school shop (got that
chipped, institutional green, re-paint treatment), has full cast iron
wings but no fence/rails (that I recall), and I haven't looked at the
motor yet (won't be able to power it up).

What might be a reasonable price to give for this saw, given it will
probably need a complete rebuild (which I don't mind doing), possibly a
new motor ($250+), and a fence/rail system ($250+). I currently use an
old c-man contractors that I have sweetly tuned-up. I could possibly
move the fence I now use.

Thanks.

Dan


  #2   Report Post  
Old March 23rd 05, 04:43 PM
Duane Bozarth
 
Posts: n/a
Default

wrote:

Local auction will be selling an older Powermatic cabinet saw, Model
71. Searching here reveals little on this saw;
www.OWWM has a bit
more, and some pics; a call to Powermatic turns up only scant info, no
manual, and a parts diagram/list (which they helpfully e-mailed).

What I know: early 60s manufacture date; listed as a 12" blade, 230v
saw; the sale saw was probably used in a high school shop (got that
chipped, institutional green, re-paint treatment), has full cast iron
wings but no fence/rails (that I recall), and I haven't looked at the
motor yet (won't be able to power it up).

What might be a reasonable price to give for this saw, given it will
probably need a complete rebuild (which I don't mind doing), possibly a
new motor ($250+), and a fence/rail system ($250+). I currently use an
old c-man contractors that I have sweetly tuned-up. I could possibly
move the fence I now use.


Given that description, if I can't turn it on, at least turn the arbor
by hand to try to check state of bearings....if it isn't frozen and
feels smooth, I'd give $2-300 at most. If they feel rough or really
stiff, I'd probably pass unless the part diagram shows the spindle
assembly thoroughly enough you can tell whether bearings can be easily
replaced. Of course, it may have used pre-loaded bearings and getting
the proper replacements can be iffy...

That said, the chances are it's a pretty good saw and while cosmetically
rough, quite good chance it's essentially as good as new
operationally...
  #3   Report Post  
Old March 23rd 05, 06:31 PM
Rob V
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Just an fyi...
New bearings can be had for about 15 bux.

If its from a school - assume its 3 phase - unless you are sure otherwise.
If its 3 phase make sure u know how you are going to power it - either a new
motor or phase converter.

Adjustment of this saw is a bit of a PITA (I have one and rebuild 1 from
scratch - its actaully an ongoing project)
The entire assembly hangs from the table.
On the other hand - it is a tank - cast iron wings on a huge table.
Its worth what you are willing to put into it.
I paid 400 for mine - I replaced the motor ($85.00) and new bearings (15
bux - but a bitch to change)
Took the entire thing apart and blasted everything - in the process of
rebuilding it back.
More of a labor of love and challange than a necessity.

good luck w/ it.


wrote in message
oups.com...
Local auction will be selling an older Powermatic cabinet saw, Model
71. Searching here reveals little on this saw; www.OWWM has a bit
more, and some pics; a call to Powermatic turns up only scant info, no
manual, and a parts diagram/list (which they helpfully e-mailed).

What I know: early 60s manufacture date; listed as a 12" blade, 230v
saw; the sale saw was probably used in a high school shop (got that
chipped, institutional green, re-paint treatment), has full cast iron
wings but no fence/rails (that I recall), and I haven't looked at the
motor yet (won't be able to power it up).

What might be a reasonable price to give for this saw, given it will
probably need a complete rebuild (which I don't mind doing), possibly a
new motor ($250+), and a fence/rail system ($250+). I currently use an
old c-man contractors that I have sweetly tuned-up. I could possibly
move the fence I now use.

Thanks.

Dan



  #4   Report Post  
Old March 23rd 05, 07:05 PM
Duane Bozarth
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Rob V wrote:

Just an fyi...
New bearings can be had for about 15 bux.

....

That was my major caveat...sometimes it's not easy to get the right
replacement or there is a one-piece spindle ass'y that is essentially
user-untouchable. These, I gather were an over-the-counter
replacement...that's good and would raise my value limit significantly
to know that a priori.
  #5   Report Post  
Old March 23rd 05, 08:40 PM
Bruce Barnett
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Duane Bozarth writes:

Given that description, if I can't turn it on, at least turn the arbor
by hand to try to check state of bearings....if it isn't frozen and
feels smooth, I'd give $2-300 at most.


A tip. (My 1968 34-300 bearings just went, and you can't get them
anymore).

Put a saw blade on the arbor and remove the belt to test this.
Without the weight, the bearings were smooth. With the extra weight, the
roughness was more obvious.

--
Sending unsolicited commercial e-mail to this account incurs a fee of
$500 per message, and acknowledges the legality of this contract.


  #6   Report Post  
Old March 24th 05, 10:16 PM
Rob V
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I ended up getting them Acurate Bearings (I can dig up the number if needed)
Anyways - I told them what type of saw it was - they knew the bearing and
had it out to me the next day.

If i remember correctly it - it was like a 303 or something like that.
Again - I can dig up my notes if anyone wants the exact info.


"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
...
Rob V wrote:

Just an fyi...
New bearings can be had for about 15 bux.

...

That was my major caveat...sometimes it's not easy to get the right
replacement or there is a one-piece spindle ass'y that is essentially
user-untouchable. These, I gather were an over-the-counter
replacement...that's good and would raise my value limit significantly
to know that a priori.



  #7   Report Post  
Old December 8th 17, 01:44 AM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2017
Posts: 1
Default powermatic 71 cabinet saw

replying to d.kessell, Bob A wrote:
Anyone know where I can obtain an arbor for my 71 cabinet saw. The threads
have seen better days. My last resort is going to a machinist and having an
arbor fabricated. Your thoughts


--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...-saw-3865-.htm


  #8   Report Post  
Old May 3rd 21, 08:01 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: May 2021
Posts: 1
Default powermatic 71 cabinet saw

Dan, I bought a Model 71 at an online auction. Figured I would change the motor to a single phase. My issue is the motor plate is missing and I dont know the HP or the frame number of the motor. Would you mind letting me know what yours says? Thanks in advance

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...-saw-3865-.htm

  #9   Report Post  
Old May 4th 21, 03:44 AM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: May 2021
Posts: 1
Default powermatic 71 cabinet saw

On Monday, May 3, 2021 at 3:01:31 PM UTC-4, rarely wrote:
Dan, I bought a Model 71 at an online auction. Figured I would change the motor to a single phase. My issue is the motor plate is missing and I dont know the HP or the frame number of the motor. Would you mind letting me know what yours says? Thanks in advance

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...-saw-3865-.htm



"Dan" started this thread 16 years ago. You might be better off searching for a catalog or manual online. Try VintageMachinery.org for old catalogs and manuals. My experience is more power is better. Love my 3-hp Unisaw and wouldn't want less. Find the biggest motor you can afford that matches the shaft size of what you have and is compatible with you electric supply. Matching the mount or adapting something to fit shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Good luck!

Tom
  #10   Report Post  
Old May 5th 21, 01:50 AM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2016
Posts: 2,833
Default powermatic 71 cabinet saw

On Mon, 3 May 2021 19:44:13 -0700 (PDT), Thomas Crist
wrote:

On Monday, May 3, 2021 at 3:01:31 PM UTC-4, rarely wrote:
Dan, I bought a Model 71 at an online auction. Figured I would change the motor to a single phase. My issue is the motor plate is missing and I dont know the HP or the frame number of the motor. Would you mind letting me know what yours says? Thanks in advance

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...-saw-3865-.htm



"Dan" started this thread 16 years ago. You might be better off searching for a catalog or manual online. Try VintageMachinery.org for old catalogs and manuals. My experience is more power is better. Love my 3-hp Unisaw and wouldn't want less. Find the biggest motor you can afford that matches the shaft size of what you have and is compatible with you electric supply. Matching the mount or adapting something to fit shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Good luck!


Anytime you see the homoaners club link, it's a troll. Ignore them.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cabinet, Furniture Design Software, Autodesk QuickCAD v8.0, Punch Software Home Design Architectural Series 18 v6.0, SOLID V3.5 - CABINET VISION, Cabinet Design Centre v7.0 - Cubit, 20-20 Kitchen Design V6.1,Cabinet Vision Solid, Planit Millennium II athens.gr. Woodturning 0 September 3rd 04 07:45 AM
Cabinet, Furniture Design Software, Autodesk QuickCAD v8.0, Punch Software Home Design Architectural Series 18 v6.0, SOLID V3.5 - CABINET VISION, Cabinet Design Centre v7.0 - Cubit, 20-20 Kitchen Design V6.1,Cabinet Vision Solid, Planit Millennium II athens.gr. Home Repair 0 September 3rd 04 07:44 AM
Cabinet, Furniture Design Software, Autodesk QuickCAD v8.0, Punch Software Home Design Architectural Series 18 v6.0, SOLID V3.5 - CABINET VISION, Cabinet Design Centre v7.0 - Cubit, 20-20 Kitchen Design V6.1,Cabinet Vision Solid, Planit Millennium II athens.gr. Woodworking 0 September 3rd 04 07:13 AM
table saw: Grizzly cabinet vs Delta contractor's JackD Woodworking 8 July 24th 03 11:52 PM
Wires behind medicine cabinet? jagerEd Home Repair 2 June 27th 03 12:57 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017