DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   powermatic 71 cabinet saw (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/96261-powermatic-71-cabinet-saw.html)

[email protected] March 23rd 05 03:38 PM

powermatic 71 cabinet saw

Local auction will be selling an older Powermatic cabinet saw, Model
71. Searching here reveals little on this saw; www.OWWM has a bit
more, and some pics; a call to Powermatic turns up only scant info, no
manual, and a parts diagram/list (which they helpfully e-mailed).

What I know: early 60s manufacture date; listed as a 12" blade, 230v
saw; the sale saw was probably used in a high school shop (got that
chipped, institutional green, re-paint treatment), has full cast iron
wings but no fence/rails (that I recall), and I haven't looked at the
motor yet (won't be able to power it up).

What might be a reasonable price to give for this saw, given it will
probably need a complete rebuild (which I don't mind doing), possibly a
new motor ($250+), and a fence/rail system ($250+). I currently use an
old c-man contractors that I have sweetly tuned-up. I could possibly
move the fence I now use.

Thanks.

Dan

Duane Bozarth March 23rd 05 04:43 PM

wrote:

[...]

Given that description, if I can't turn it on, at least turn the arbor
by hand to try to check state of bearings....if it isn't frozen and
feels smooth, I'd give $2-300 at most. If they feel rough or really
stiff, I'd probably pass unless the part diagram shows the spindle
assembly thoroughly enough you can tell whether bearings can be easily
replaced. Of course, it may have used pre-loaded bearings and getting
the proper replacements can be iffy...

That said, the chances are it's a pretty good saw and while cosmetically
rough, quite good chance it's essentially as good as new
operationally...

Rob V March 23rd 05 06:31 PM

Just an fyi...
New bearings can be had for about 15 bux.

If its from a school - assume its 3 phase - unless you are sure otherwise.
If its 3 phase make sure u know how you are going to power it - either a new
motor or phase converter.

Adjustment of this saw is a bit of a PITA (I have one and rebuild 1 from
scratch - its actaully an ongoing project)
The entire assembly hangs from the table.
On the other hand - it is a tank - cast iron wings on a huge table.
Its worth what you are willing to put into it.
I paid 400 for mine - I replaced the motor ($85.00) and new bearings (15
bux - but a bitch to change)
Took the entire thing apart and blasted everything - in the process of
rebuilding it back.
More of a labor of love and challange than a necessity.

good luck w/ it.

oups.com...

Duane Bozarth March 23rd 05 07:05 PM

Rob V wrote:

Just an fyi...
New bearings can be had for about 15 bux.

That was my major caveat...sometimes it's not easy to get the right
replacement or there is a one-piece spindle ass'y that is essentially
user-untouchable. These, I gather were an over-the-counter
replacement...that's good and would raise my value limit significantly
to know that a priori.

Bruce Barnett March 23rd 05 08:40 PM

Duane Bozarth writes:

Given that description, if I can't turn it on, at least turn the arbor
by hand to try to check state of bearings....if it isn't frozen and
feels smooth, I'd give $2-300 at most.

A tip. (My 1968 34-300 bearings just went, and you can't get them
anymore).

Put a saw blade on the arbor and remove the belt to test this.
Without the weight, the bearings were smooth. With the extra weight, the
roughness was more obvious.

Rob V March 24th 05 10:16 PM

I ended up getting them Acurate Bearings (I can dig up the number if needed)
Anyways - I told them what type of saw it was - they knew the bearing and
had it out to me the next day.

If i remember correctly it - it was like a 303 or something like that.
Again - I can dig up my notes if anyone wants the exact info.

Bob A[_2_] December 8th 17 01:44 AM

powermatic 71 cabinet saw

replying to d.kessell, Bob A wrote:
Anyone know where I can obtain an arbor for my 71 cabinet saw. The threads
have seen better days. My last resort is going to a machinist and having an
arbor fabricated. Your thoughts

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...-saw-3865-.htm

rarely May 3rd 21 08:01 PM

powermatic 71 cabinet saw

Dan, I bought a Model 71 at an online auction. Figured I would change the motor to a single phase. My issue is the motor plate is missing and I dont know the HP or the frame number of the motor. Would you mind letting me know what yours says? Thanks in advance

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...-saw-3865-.htm

Thomas Crist May 4th 21 03:44 AM

powermatic 71 cabinet saw

On Monday, May 3, 2021 at 3:01:31 PM UTC-4, rarely wrote:
Dan, I bought a Model 71 at an online auction. Figured I would change the motor to a single phase. My issue is the motor plate is missing and I dont know the HP or the frame number of the motor. Would you mind letting me know what yours says? Thanks in advance

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...-saw-3865-.htm

"Dan" started this thread 16 years ago. You might be better off searching for a catalog or manual online. Try VintageMachinery.org for old catalogs and manuals. My experience is more power is better. Love my 3-hp Unisaw and wouldn't want less. Find the biggest motor you can afford that matches the shaft size of what you have and is compatible with you electric supply. Matching the mount or adapting something to fit shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Good luck!

Tom

[email protected] May 5th 21 01:50 AM

powermatic 71 cabinet saw

On Mon, 3 May 2021 19:44:13 -0700 (PDT), Thomas Crist
wrote:

[...]

Anytime you see the homoaners club link, it's a troll. Ignore them.

Mark Tegen June 7th 21 03:15 PM

powermatic 71 cabinet saw

VintageMachinery.org
I have a # 71 powermatic table saw and the casting for the blade tilting rod snapped. I'm wondering if anybody has the parts list or a possible supplier for parts for this saw.
thanks, Mark

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...-saw-3865-.htm