Duane Bozarth

Local auction will be selling an older Powermatic cabinet saw, Model
71. Searching here reveals little on this saw;
www.OWWM has a bit
more, and some pics; a call to Powermatic turns up only scant info, no
manual, and a parts diagram/list (which they helpfully e-mailed).

What I know: early 60s manufacture date; listed as a 12" blade, 230v
saw; the sale saw was probably used in a high school shop (got that
chipped, institutional green, re-paint treatment), has full cast iron
wings but no fence/rails (that I recall), and I haven't looked at the
motor yet (won't be able to power it up).

What might be a reasonable price to give for this saw, given it will
probably need a complete rebuild (which I don't mind doing), possibly a
new motor ($250+), and a fence/rail system ($250+). I currently use an
old c-man contractors that I have sweetly tuned-up. I could possibly
move the fence I now use.

Given that description, if I can't turn it on, at least turn the arbor
by hand to try to check state of bearings....if it isn't frozen and
feels smooth, I'd give $2-300 at most. If they feel rough or really
stiff, I'd probably pass unless the part diagram shows the spindle
assembly thoroughly enough you can tell whether bearings can be easily
replaced. Of course, it may have used pre-loaded bearings and getting
the proper replacements can be iffy...

That said, the chances are it's a pretty good saw and while cosmetically
rough, quite good chance it's essentially as good as new
operationally...