longshot

I once rode a tablesaw upside-down down a flight of basement stairs

Dave Miller

Default Jointer Joy at Last!!!

Today, my new Yorkcraft 8" jointer arrived. Over the weekend I was
thinking of how many people it would take to get the thing down to my
basement, and around a corner on the stairs. Looking at the crate, and
realizing how big this sucker really is, it may just have to live in the
basement.

Has anyone tried to get a monster like this down a flight of stairs with
a corner, without completly disassembling the thing? I'm thinking if it
goes downstairs at all, it may be easiest to do so while it's crated up.
But then, if I ever move, I'd probably have to disassemble and get it
back up in pieces.

Would moving straps work? I'm thinking of the ones I've seen movers put
over their shoulders to carry heavy appliances, pianos, etc. with two
people.

mp

I once rode a tablesaw upside-down down a flight of basement stairs

With the power on or off?

brianlanning

I'll be getting the 8" griz as soon as I get 220 in the new house next
month. I took one look at the basement stairs and decided that I
didn't want my delta contractor's saw going down them. I'll be
insulating the garage instead. :-)

brian

leonard

try small wheels attached to a scrap of ply. but does not the yorkcraft
jointer have its own wheels? the thing to do would be to put some ply on the
stairs and let roll down under your control

good luck

Len
"Dave Miller" wrote in message
Today, my new Yorkcraft 8" jointer arrived. Over the weekend I was
thinking of how many people it would take to get the thing down to my
basement, and around a corner on the stairs. Looking at the crate, and
realizing how big this sucker really is, it may just have to live in the
basement.

Has anyone tried to get a monster like this down a flight of stairs with a
corner, without completly disassembling the thing? I'm thinking if it
goes downstairs at all, it may be easiest to do so while it's crated up.
But then, if I ever move, I'd probably have to disassemble and get it back
up in pieces.

Would moving straps work? I'm thinking of the ones I've seen movers put
over their shoulders to carry heavy appliances, pianos, etc. with two
people.

Stephen M

I took mine around a corner and up a flight of stairs.

Here's how:

I built a stretcher out of 2 2x4's. 2 7' long pieces, and 2 crossbars about
a foot long. Assemble like a tall "H" with two crossbars. attach this to the
bottom of the table assembly. Then you can lift from then ends while
supporting from the center.

For the stairs, we slid it on the stretcher.

Does that make sense?

We were able to do this with 2 40-ish not-especially-big guys. (but is was
all we could handle).

-Steve

"Dave Miller" wrote in message
Today, my new Yorkcraft 8" jointer arrived. Over the weekend I was
thinking of how many people it would take to get the thing down to my
basement, and around a corner on the stairs. Looking at the crate, and
realizing how big this sucker really is, it may just have to live in the
basement.

Has anyone tried to get a monster like this down a flight of stairs with
a corner, without completly disassembling the thing? I'm thinking if it
goes downstairs at all, it may be easiest to do so while it's crated up.
But then, if I ever move, I'd probably have to disassemble and get it
back up in pieces.

Would moving straps work? I'm thinking of the ones I've seen movers put
over their shoulders to carry heavy appliances, pianos, etc. with two
people.

toolguy

How heavy is it? Do you have a window in your basement you could go
through instead?

Dave W

If the jointer is removed from the base, a couple of strong guys should be
able to negotiate the stairs. I hope you enjoy your 8 inch Yorkcraft as much
as I enjoy mine. The YC-8 is a very under-rated machine, mine was way out
of adjustment when I got it. A dial indicator and a little persistance have
brought everything into line. Now it makes flat stock out of warped and
straight edges out of wainy.
Dave

Dave Miller

No, no windows at all.

toolguy wrote:
How heavy is it? Do you have a window in your basement you could go
through instead?

Dave Miller

I like the idea, but I don't think it would work for me. The stairs
down to the basement have a landing and a right angle to negotiate. I
take it you had a straight flight of stairs, if so that would make sense
to use the stretcher to slide down.

Stephen M wrote:
[...]

Vic Baron

"Dave Miller" wrote in message
Today, my new Yorkcraft 8" jointer arrived. Over the weekend I was
thinking of how many people it would take to get the thing down to my
basement, and around a corner on the stairs. Looking at the crate, and
realizing how big this sucker really is, it may just have to live in the
basement.

Has anyone tried to get a monster like this down a flight of stairs with
a corner, without completly disassembling the thing? I'm thinking if it
goes downstairs at all, it may be easiest to do so while it's crated up.
But then, if I ever move, I'd probably have to disassemble and get it
back up in pieces.

Would moving straps work? I'm thinking of the ones I've seen movers put
over their shoulders to carry heavy appliances, pianos, etc. with two
people.

If you have two people - rope and pulley is the way to go. If just carrying
it and someone slips going down the stairs - bad news.

Attach rope to unit. One person at top of stairs controls rope. Lower person
pulls the unit down - a stair at a time - upper person keeps tension on rope
and keeps it from sliding or dropping. Stop at the 90 degree landing.
Reposition and repeat. Should balance the load so that neither has the full
weight. Easier to do that explain .

Good luck -

Vic

C & S

"Dave Miller" wrote in message
I like the idea, but I don't think it would work for me. The stairs
down to the basement have a landing and a right angle to negotiate. I
take it you had a straight flight of stairs, if so that would make sense
to use the stretcher to slide down.

That was up.

The stretcher was only a couple inches longer than the jointer and the same
width. It removes any temptation to lift from the ends of the infeed and
outfeed (which I hear is a no-no).

I still think it could work for you just to give you safe holding and a
place to tie a rope if need be.

-s