Vic Baron

"Dave Miller" wrote in message
Today, my new Yorkcraft 8" jointer arrived. Over the weekend I was
thinking of how many people it would take to get the thing down to my
basement, and around a corner on the stairs. Looking at the crate, and
realizing how big this sucker really is, it may just have to live in the
basement.

Has anyone tried to get a monster like this down a flight of stairs with
a corner, without completly disassembling the thing? I'm thinking if it
goes downstairs at all, it may be easiest to do so while it's crated up.
But then, if I ever move, I'd probably have to disassemble and get it
back up in pieces.

Would moving straps work? I'm thinking of the ones I've seen movers put
over their shoulders to carry heavy appliances, pianos, etc. with two
people.

If you have two people - rope and pulley is the way to go. If just carrying
it and someone slips going down the stairs - bad news.

Attach rope to unit. One person at top of stairs controls rope. Lower person
pulls the unit down - a stair at a time - upper person keeps tension on rope
and keeps it from sliding or dropping. Stop at the 90 degree landing.
Reposition and repeat. Should balance the load so that neither has the full
weight. Easier to do that explain .

Good luck -

Vic