Default Mitre Saws - Dewalt or Makita?

I have recently purchased a property that requires a full make-over. To
save money i intend to carry out the vast majority of the work myself
and i am currently getting my tools together.

I'm have narrowed down my choices to the following models purely based
on brands i have heard spoken of in terms of reliable quality.

Dewalt DW708 or DW712, or Makita LS1214 or LS1013.

The Mitre Saw will be used for door framing, skirting boards, flooring
etc and some larger work outside like decking.

I am by no stretch of the imagination a Carpenter so i would really
appreciate any advice you maybe be able to offer.

Many Thanks
John

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

Dewalt DW708 or DW712, or Makita LS1214 or LS1013.

I don't know anything about the Makita, but the DW is going to do the job
for you.

Thank you for your reply, any views on which Dewalt model, DW708 or the
DW712.

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you for your reply, any views on which Dewalt model, DW708 or the
DW712.

The 708 give greater depth for crown moldings and vertical baseboards. In
the long run, it will probably be better.

That's a great help, thanks again for taking the time to reply

Doug Miller

In article , Richard Cranium wrote:
I had a 12" Dewalt miter saw (don't remember the model no.) and hated
it. Accuracy, repeatability and the need to clamp some cuts were the
reasons. Bought a Makita LS1013 and love it.

The yellow saw is now in my son-in-laws garage.

So which one of them are you ticked at, your daughter or her husband? :-)

--
Regards,

Buck Turgidson

save money i intend to carry out the vast majority of the work myself
and i am currently getting my tools together.

I'm have narrowed down my choices to the following models purely based
on brands i have heard spoken of in terms of reliable quality.

Dewalt DW708 or DW712, or Makita LS1214 or LS1013.

The Mitre Saw will be used for door framing, skirting boards, flooring
etc and some larger work outside like decking.

I am by no stretch of the imagination a Carpenter so i would really
appreciate any advice you maybe be able to offer.

I bought a 12" Delta (36-412) about a year ago, and I was not disappointed.
It was a little pricier than DW, but it had a huge cutting capacity. It
seems very accurate and well-made.

Richard Clements

I like the Dewalt and the Delta, I own a Delta, my father-in-law has the
Dewalt, I would really like the Dewalt compound mitre saw on a slide, some
day, the Makita tool I've used are good, there cordless drills are a little
under powered, but they don't have 1/2 the problems with there battery
packs that my dewalt has had, the biggest problem I know of with Makita
tools is getting parts to fix it, there on the pricy side

wrote:

I have recently purchased a property that requires a full make-over. To
save money i intend to carry out the vast majority of the work myself
and i am currently getting my tools together.

I'm have narrowed down my choices to the following models purely based
on brands i have heard spoken of in terms of reliable quality.

Dewalt DW708 or DW712, or Makita LS1214 or LS1013.

The Mitre Saw will be used for door framing, skirting boards, flooring
etc and some larger work outside like decking.

I am by no stretch of the imagination a Carpenter so i would really
appreciate any advice you maybe be able to offer.

Many Thanks
John

George Bame

Every saw/brand will have detractors and proponents. All I can say is I've
had a DW708 for a little over a year and I'm very satisfied. I like the
cutting capacity of the sliding miter and the depth of the 12" blade. It
has held adjustment flawlessly and has plenty of power. I put mine on a
Trojan portable table so it's easy to move for outdoor projects like decks.

George Bame
Norfolk, VA

ups.com...

"George Bame" wrote in message news:B3g%d.11191$mq2.10763@trnddc08...
Every saw/brand will have detractors and proponents. All I can say is I've
had a DW708 for a little over a year and I'm very satisfied. I like the
cutting capacity of the sliding miter and the depth of the 12" blade. It
has held adjustment flawlessly and has plenty of power. I put mine on a
Trojan portable table so it's easy to move for outdoor projects like decks.

George Bame
Norfolk, VA

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have recently purchased a property that requires a full make-over. To
save money i intend to carry out the vast majority of the work myself
and i am currently getting my tools together.

I'm have narrowed down my choices to the following models purely based
on brands i have heard spoken of in terms of reliable quality.

Dewalt DW708 or DW712, or Makita LS1214 or LS1013.

The Mitre Saw will be used for door framing, skirting boards, flooring
etc and some larger work outside like decking.

I am by no stretch of the imagination a Carpenter so i would really
appreciate any advice you maybe be able to offer.

Many Thanks
John

Thanks George, that's a real help

Well, my Hitachi C8FB2 8½" SCMS is _still_ a charmer after about four
years. Hitachi (I believe) was the first to make a SCMS and the
obviously make bigger models. It will cut 12" shelving and no other
small saw will do that. Also worked great builing my son's deck.
I've used the DW 12" and while it's nice, its very bulky. Hitachi may
have also reaped some awards for their SCMSs so don't rule them out.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have recently purchased a property that requires a full make-over. To
save money i intend to carry out the vast majority of the work myself
and i am currently getting my tools together.

I'm have narrowed down my choices to the following models purely based
on brands i have heard spoken of in terms of reliable quality.

Dewalt DW708 or DW712, or Makita LS1214 or LS1013.

The Mitre Saw will be used for door framing, skirting boards, flooring
etc and some larger work outside like decking.

I am by no stretch of the imagination a Carpenter so i would really
appreciate any advice you maybe be able to offer.

Many Thanks
John

Thanks George, that's a real help

Charlie Self

George Bame states:
Every saw/brand will have detractors and proponents. All I can say

is I've
had a DW708 for a little over a year and I'm very satisfied. I like
the
cutting capacity of the sliding miter and the depth of the 12" blade.
It
has held adjustment flawlessly and has plenty of power. I put mine on
Trojan portable table so it's easy to move for outdoor projects like
decks.

I've got a Bosch SCMS, 12", in the Bosch folding stand. A hard to beat
combination. But it pays to look at more than two brands. DeWalt,
Delta, Porter-Cable, Hitachi, Makita, Ridgid are all excellent miter
saws. Ridgid has just announced a new stand for their (and other) saws
that seems at first sight to beat just about all the other stands I've
seen or used. Though the 12" dual compound SCMS are about half the
price they used to be, they're still pricey, though.