Gene T

Default How to install drawer fronts to drawers?

I would make them the right size, then use doble stick tape to get tham all
ositioned correctly first, then fasten them with screws. Just my two
cents...
Gene
"mare" lid.com wrote in
message
news:1gt9w8z.1gnc9lx6gc72aN%mare*Remove*All*0f*Thi ...
I'm workin on a built-in entertainment center and made a couple (12) of
drawers without fronts. Now I'm contemplating what the *best* way is to
attach the fronts. The drawers are overlay, and there are 8 different
sizes. I use Accuride full extension slides.

1) Make fronts oversized, glue them on and later trim them to the right
size.

2) Make the front the right size on the table saw and mount them with
screws from the inside of the drawer. Make the holes in the drawers
oversized and use washers, so I can position them.

How would you do it? Maybe with be a totally different technique.

--
mare

David

I have a box of 1,000 special screws--drawer front screws--that hide the
oversized hole. THAT'S how I deal with positioning a drawer front. I
think I've got a lifetime supply... g

Dave

mare wrote:

I'm workin on a built-in entertainment center and made a couple (12) of
drawers without fronts. Now I'm contemplating what the *best* way is to
attach the fronts. The drawers are overlay, and there are 8 different
sizes. I use Accuride full extension slides.

1) Make fronts oversized, glue them on and later trim them to the right
size.

2) Make the front the right size on the table saw and mount them with
screws from the inside of the drawer. Make the holes in the drawers
oversized and use washers, so I can position them.

How would you do it? Maybe with be a totally different technique.

loutent

Here's what I do.

Make all fronts the exact size you want.

Make your holes a little oversize, like you said.

Spread a little glue on the (inside) fronts.

Use a spacer (like say 3/4 inch) between all horizontals
& verticals (fronts).

You have 30 minutes or so.

Once spaced the way you like them, shoot 2 pins/brads
to fix the fronts (I shoot toward the lower half).

If you have not attached the top, then you can reach inside
and shoot a few brads from the inside, which is preferable.

Open each drawer & tighten the screws.

Lou

In article
1gt9w8z.1gnc9lx6gc72aN%mare*Remove*All*0f*This*I*
alid.com, mare
lid.com wrote:

I'm workin on a built-in entertainment center and made a couple (12) of
drawers without fronts. Now I'm contemplating what the *best* way is to
attach the fronts. The drawers are overlay, and there are 8 different
sizes. I use Accuride full extension slides.

1) Make fronts oversized, glue them on and later trim them to the right
size.

2) Make the front the right size on the table saw and mount them with
screws from the inside of the drawer. Make the holes in the drawers
oversized and use washers, so I can position them.

How would you do it? Maybe with be a totally different technique.

Mike Marlow

id.com (mare) wrote:

I'm workin on a built-in entertainment center and made a couple (12) of
drawers without fronts. Now I'm contemplating what the *best* way is to
attach the fronts. The drawers are overlay, and there are 8 different
sizes. I use Accuride full extension slides.

1) Make fronts oversized, glue them on and later trim them to the right
size.

2) Make the front the right size on the table saw and mount them with
screws from the inside of the drawer. Make the holes in the drawers
oversized and use washers, so I can position them.

How would you do it? Maybe with be a totally different technique.

I do 2)

I do 2 - sorta. I don't use oversized holes though. Just clamp the face in
place, drill the pilot holes and screw the face on.

--

-Mike-

Alan Bierbaum

For kitchens with knobs/handles; I drill the drawer front,
place it where it belongs, and run screws thru the predrilled handle holes
into the box front. Then install with screws from the back and drill the
box front for handle holes and install the handles with screws all the way
though the box and dress front. Note: drill holes in drawer box for the
screws used to hold on the dress front. I use dry wall type screws (2-6)
plus the screws that hold on the handle/knob.

--
Alan Bierbaum

Web Site: http://www.calanb.com
Current project: http://home.comcast.net/~cabierbaum/

"mare" lid.com wrote in
message
news:1gt9w8z.1gnc9lx6gc72aN%mare*Remove*All*0f*Thi ...

2) Make the front the right size on the table saw and mount them with
screws from the inside of the drawer. Make the holes in the drawers
oversized and use washers, so I can position them.

How would you do it? Maybe with be a totally different technique.

--
mare

Max

id.com (mare) wrote:

[...]

That's my method too.

Max

dadiOH

mare wrote:
I'm workin on a built-in entertainment center and made a couple (12)
of drawers without fronts. Now I'm contemplating what the *best* way
is to attach the fronts. The drawers are overlay, and there are 8
different sizes. I use Accuride full extension slides.

1) Make fronts oversized, glue them on and later trim them to the
right size.

2) Make the front the right size on the table saw and mount them with
screws from the inside of the drawer. Make the holes in the drawers
oversized and use washers, so I can position them.

How would you do it? Maybe with be a totally different technique.

My drawer fronts are part of the drawers, no attached fronts. Overlay
fronts are attached to the sides via sliding dovetails.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Edwin Pawlowski

2) Make the front the right size on the table saw and mount them with
screws from the inside of the drawer. Make the holes in the drawers
oversized and use washers, so I can position them.

I've done that. if you put one screw and hold it in place as you say, they
once properly positioned, put a couple of more screws in to hold it. In
some cases you can removed the drawers above it, clamp the front and just
screw from the inside.

If you are going to mount hardware you may also need longer bolts since the
front is thicker than just using a single panel. Mark the location and
drill a large recess in the front of the inside piece.

A fast alternative is to hold the front in place then just drive a 10d nail
through it.

Frank J. Vitale

McFeely square drive screws makes some self-tapping screws that are just the
right length for attaching faces to drawer fronts.

mp

2) Make the front the right size on the table saw and mount them with
screws from the inside of the drawer. Make the holes in the drawers
oversized and use washers, so I can position them.

I normally use a block on the back of the drawer to set the drawer about
1/16th proud of the face, shim the drawer front to correct position, use
double-sided tape to hold in position, then screw from the back. The
over-sized hole is probably a good idea. You can also get drawer-adjust
buttons - little round adjusters with concentric cams that let you make
small adjustments.

Rick Samuel

Just curious, but what does Canada and square drive have to do with each
other?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
Just curious, but what does Canada and square drive have to do with each
other?

Robertson, the inventor, is from Canada. They have been around for many
years, but many people in the US have never heard of them. Including me
until a few years ago.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Upscale

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message news:zsOYd.20011
Just curious, but what does Canada and square drive have to do with each
other?

Robertson, the inventor, is from Canada. They have been around for many
years, but many people in the US have never heard of them. Including me
until a few years ago.

Common knowledge for many of us up here. Gotta say that robertson screws are
one of the more useful woodworking accessories to use. Now, if only I could
find the fool that invented Torx screws and then everything would be
complete.

Upscale

"mare" wrote in message

And they are the most common screw around here. I'd never heard about
them either before I came to Canada. I have screwed in about 30000
PoziDriv screws (I used to built rock climbing walls) a year or so and

PoziDriv, I've never used. They're the ones like Philips but with an extra
four wings aren't they?

wish they had Robertson's heads. It holds the screw so much better, you
do a very long time with a bit and the screws are almost glued to your
bit...

I haven't come across them too often, but I've seen poorly made Robertson
screws before. They're either slightly too big, slightly too small or
they're just not square to the bit. A complete pain in the ass. The two
times I came across them I knew by the third screw they were garbage. It was
cheaper just to throw the box out than waste the time taking them back.

mac davis

id.com (mare) wrote:

I'm workin on a built-in entertainment center and made a couple (12) of
drawers without fronts. Now I'm contemplating what the *best* way is to
attach the fronts. The drawers are overlay, and there are 8 different
sizes. I use Accuride full extension slides.

1) Make fronts oversized, glue them on and later trim them to the right
size.

2) Make the front the right size on the table saw and mount them with
screws from the inside of the drawer. Make the holes in the drawers
oversized and use washers, so I can position them.

How would you do it? Maybe with be a totally different technique.

depends on the drawer pulls, if any..

I like to cut the fronts a little over, maybe a couple of plane shavings over,
than drill the holes for the pulls and use the pulls/knobs to hold the faces on
while I'm adjusting the alignment, etc..
The "overhang" is enough to scribe a line for when they're glued on, and a
little "fudge factor" in case one has to slide a little sideways... not that any
of mine ever needed that, of course.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Kitchen progress, doors and drawer fronts (w/pics) David F. Eisan Woodworking 1 January 10th 05 06:10 PM
Matching the grain of the fronts of the two overlaid drawers with the rail Jim Bates Woodworking 9 July 7th 04 01:45 AM
Position of holes in Ikea drawer fronts David Micklem UK diy 3 March 3rd 04 06:55 PM
Making drawers David UK diy 3 September 12th 03 11:38 AM
Kitchen cabents using Mills Pride boxes and custom made doors / drawer fronts David Jensen Woodworking 9 August 6th 03 04:15 AM