Edwin Pawlowski

2) Make the front the right size on the table saw and mount them with
screws from the inside of the drawer. Make the holes in the drawers
oversized and use washers, so I can position them.

I've done that. if you put one screw and hold it in place as you say, they
once properly positioned, put a couple of more screws in to hold it. In
some cases you can removed the drawers above it, clamp the front and just
screw from the inside.

If you are going to mount hardware you may also need longer bolts since the
front is thicker than just using a single panel. Mark the location and
drill a large recess in the front of the inside piece.

A fast alternative is to hold the front in place then just drive a 10d nail
through it.