Newshound

Default interior window shutters

Anyone ever see plans for making interior window shutters. These things are
enormously expensive to buy. The crappy vinyl things in standard sizes are
not too bad, but the real wood, custom sizes are near $100 per sq. foot
installed at Lowes, and they won't sell them without the installation.

Thanks

FriscoSoxFan

Chock this up to another project dreamed about but not undertaken...

I bought these plans:

http://www.gerryandkaren.com/plantation_shutters.htm

They were very well written and easy to follow. Definitely took away
some of the intimidation factor.

ripntear95

Go to http://www.woodline.com/Downloads/Pl...20Shutters.pdf .
shows you the ins and outs of this undertaking. I'm building some
myself right now. I opted to get custom knives made for my jet
planer/molder instead of using their router bit set to mill the
louvers. You can order the plastic louver pins from www.ou****er.com.
I'm using pn ossp-101 shutter pins from their catalog. It's on page 43
from http://www.ou****er.com/pdf_files/op...nceSystems.pdf . It's
sold by the thousands but really cheap. You need lots of patience if
you haven't done this kind of thing before, but it's really worth it.
Good Luck

Phisherman

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 03:13:01 GMT, "Newshound"
wrote:

Anyone ever see plans for making interior window shutters. These things are
enormously expensive to buy. The crappy vinyl things in standard sizes are
not too bad, but the real wood, custom sizes are near $100 per sq. foot
installed at Lowes, and they won't sell them without the installation.

Thanks

Norm made a louvered door built using a jig with a template that had
slanted slots, in which the collar of a router fit to cut the slotted
holes. Quite clever. This is not exactly a shutter with movable
slats which would be a bit more difficult to design. I bought my shop
shutters and installed them flush with the window. Painting them was
somewhat tedious.
Newshound

Thanks to all responders. I think these free plans are good enough for me.
What kind of wood are you using? I need some painted white, but if they
turn out good I will need some natural wood finish too. The nice ones I've
seen claim to be made out of basswood. I'm not sure what other woods would
be good. What are you using and why?

Thanks.

"ripntear95" wrote in message
oups.com...
Go to http://www.woodline.com/Downloads/Pl...20Shutters.pdf .
shows you the ins and outs of this undertaking. I'm building some
myself right now. I opted to get custom knives made for my jet
planer/molder instead of using their router bit set to mill the
louvers. You can order the plastic louver pins from www.ou****er.com.
I'm using pn ossp-101 shutter pins from their catalog. It's on page 43
from http://www.ou****er.com/pdf_files/op...nceSystems.pdf . It's
sold by the thousands but really cheap. You need lots of patience if
you haven't done this kind of thing before, but it's really worth it.
Good Luck

Lowell Holmes

"Newshound" wrote in message
. com...
Anyone ever see plans for making interior window shutters. These things
are
enormously expensive to buy. The crappy vinyl things in standard sizes
are
not too bad, but the real wood, custom sizes are near $100 per sq. foot
installed at Lowes, and they won't sell them without the installation.

Thanks

Woodsmith No. 151 covers the subject completely including jigs required.
They call it Shop-made Louvered Shutters.

Lowell Holmes

"Newshound" wrote in message
Thanks, I just subscribed a couple of weeks ago so I expect that will be
my
1st issue.

Woodsmith No. 151 covers the subject completely including jigs required.
They call it Shop-made Louvered Shutters.

No 151 is an old one. You will have to order a back copy from the publisher.
Try their web site.
If I were to undertake building shutter blinds, I would use their technique.

ripntear95

I'm using basswood, but watch out for moisture content. It has to be
below 8% (with a moisture meter). The lumberyard will usually let you
use theirs when picking out stock. I also resaw my stock and leave it
alone for about 2 weeks in my garage to let it settle before I mill
them. I haven't used poplar but I've read it's another type of wood you
could use.