Default Tilting head bandsaw a Sears specialty?

I seem to recall that sears once made a tilting "head" sort of saw
some years ago. I happened to be in sears today and saw a new 10"
version which looked halfway decent except the table was aluminum.
The tilt mechanism and chassis all appeared to be cast steel.

Kind of reminded me of my fathers Delta tilting table saw in reverse.
Anyway, the Sears unit was priced a little less than the new Hitachi
12" saw they have at Lowes. The Hitachi is supposed to be an
excellent saw.

I think I can get by with a 10" or 12" BS and I'll have to keep
looking. I was hoping to find a nice 14" Delta (used) but the one I
almost jumped on got jumped by somebody else before I ever got to see
it. Such is life. I guess I should look at the Delta 10" and the Jet
12" as both have cast iron tables. Strange that the Delta 12"
doesn't.

If there's anyone in the Hartford/Springfield area looking to sell a
BS and move up to something bigger/better, post a follow up here.
AAvK

I believe the Sears tilting table one is made by Palmgren for Sears,
http://www.palmgren.com/palmgren/index.html I don't think I'd
want it at that size and price though.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

That's the one I missed Barry. It was more money and size than I
_really_ needed, but after thinking it over for a couple of days I
figured... somehow get it. I was also emailing the fellow and
unfortunately the time lag between emails being read and answered was
my problem. I had left him my cell number, but had no way to reach
him other than email. In hindsight, it was a sweet deal.

I have a 10% off coupon for Lowes that I have to use before 2/15 so I
_could_ save about $30 on the 12" Hitachi and buy brand-new. Even the
Saw Store, our local Delta dealer, admits that Hitachi is one of the
few companies that actually makes a very good product and backs it up
with a excellent parts network.

BTW, has anyone ever "customized" a band saw by taking a (maybe even
slightly bigger) cast iron table and mounting it to a saw that had an
aluminum table? I see so many used sears BS with aluminum tables and
once in a while I see cast iron tables being sold as parts.

Mike

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:09:14 GMT, Ba r r y
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:41:08 -0500, wrote:

If there's anyone in the Hartford/Springfield area looking to sell a
BS and move up to something bigger/better, post a follow up here.

There was a Delta 14" listed a few weeks back, located in the
Springfield, MA, area. Start a thread with a descriptive subject and
the seller may find you.

Barry

Norman D. Crow

wrote in message
I seem to recall that sears once made a tilting "head" sort of saw
some years ago. I happened to be in sears today and saw a new 10"
version which looked halfway decent except the table was aluminum.
The tilt mechanism and chassis all appeared to be cast steel.

IIRC, this is a baby brother to what I *think* was called a "shipwright
saw". I remember seeing one on a show about the USS Constitution and the
shop they have for maintaining it. This thing was huge, using about a 3 or
4" wide blade, the table was about 3 or 4' square, with probably a 20"
cutting height. The table would stay level while the whole head rotated,
enabling them to cut those 14-16" ribs for a wooden ship while the table
stayed level.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

AAvK

I believe the Sears tilting table one is made by Palmgren for Sears,
http://www.palmgren.com/palmgren/index.html I don't think I'd
want it at that size and price though.

....'Scuse me, I meant "tilting head".

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Clint

Why are you so worried about an aluminum table? What difference does it
make if it's aluminum, cast iron, or whatever, so long as it's stable?
AFAIK, the bandsaw is not usually considered a precision machine, where
you're worried about the last 0.001". Most times, you'll end up doing the
final shaping on a jointer/planer/tablesaw/etc, or sanding off the blade
marks, if nothing else.

Why not buy the saw you want, and if you need to upgrade it later, there are
all sorts of plans for a larger table. A quick Google search for "bandsaw
table plan" turns up a bunch of links.

Clint

news

wrote:

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:41:08 -0500, wrote:

If there's anyone in the Hartford/Springfield area looking to sell a
BS and move up to something bigger/better, post a follow up here.

There was a Delta 14" listed a few weeks back, located in the
Springfield, MA, area. Start a thread with a descriptive subject and
the seller may find you.

Barry

Norman D. Crow

"Clint" wrote in message
Why are you so worried about an aluminum table? What difference does it
make if it's aluminum, cast iron, or whatever, so long as it's stable?
AFAIK, the bandsaw is not usually considered a precision machine, where
you're worried about the last 0.001". Most times, you'll end up doing the
final shaping on a jointer/planer/tablesaw/etc, or sanding off the blade
marks, if nothing else.

One reason; I'm getting tired of the black lines left on everything by the
ribbed aluminum top on my Crapsman table saw. Even wax doesn't help much.
That's why my next major tool will be a new TS with a cast iron top!

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 18:34:40 -0500, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"
spake:

One reason; I'm getting tired of the black lines left on everything by the
ribbed aluminum top on my Crapsman table saw. Even wax doesn't help much.
That's why my next major tool will be a new TS with a cast iron top!

So make about a dozen cheaparse jigs to go with it, put it up on Ebay
with flowery descriptions of everything, then buy a brand new G-1023Z
with the winnings. Use the word "Craftsman" about thirty times in the
ad so they know it's their favorite product.

----------------------------------
VIRTUE...is its own punishment
http://www.diversify.com Website Applications

Made the plunge and bought the Hitachi 12". I know the Delta 14" is
the gold standard, but with space and budget constraints, this one
should do the job for me. $269 with my coupon? How could I go wrong?

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...16-46578-CB13F

If I ever need something bigger, you're right... there's always eBay.

Mike

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:56:08 -0500, wrote:

I have a 10% off coupon for Lowes that I have to use before 2/15 so I
_could_ save about $30 on the 12" Hitachi and buy brand-new. Even the
Saw Store, our local Delta dealer, admits that Hitachi is one of the
few companies that actually makes a very good product and backs it up
with a excellent parts network.

Incidentally, The Saw Store also sells and stocks Hitachi, but doesn't
have this saw yet.

Jeff P.

Stay away from the Sears tilting head model if you find it. I originally
bought one of these thinking it looked like quite the innovation. I got it
home and actually ended up leaving it sitting in the box in the shop for a
couple of months (don't ask why, I'm not sure myself). When I finally got
it together I found that the blade was not square to the table. You could
adjust one direction by tilting the head forward or back but there was no
side to side adjustment possible. I ended up driving a shim between the
moving head and the base in order to get it anywhere near true. This got me
a bit agitated so I took it back to Sears. I was ready to be told that I
was stuck with the beast but they were very nice and let me exchange it for
a larger traditional bandsaw (with a few extra buckaroos on my part).
--
Jeff P.

A truck carrying copies of Roget's Thesaurus over-turned on the
highway. The local newspaper reported that the onlookers were
"stunned, overwhelmed, astonished, bewildered, and dumfounded."

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

wrote in message
[...]

Cleaning VCR - need help and a diagram Mike Electronics Repair 8 September 15th 04 03:54 PM
Adjusting audio head on Pana NV-9100 U-Matic Wild Bill Electronics Repair 0 June 12th 04 01:41 AM
Printer Reestit Mutton UK diy 16 October 31st 03 10:06 AM
Fisher cassette heads bg Electronics Repair 5 July 30th 03 05:04 AM