danbo

Default Craftsman align-a-rip xrc fence

I bought the aforementioned rip fence on eBay, but much to my chagrin
it didn't come with anything except the fence and the rails (that is,
no mounting hardware). I talked to Sears parts and while they'll
gladly sell me the manual for $6, they don't physically have access to
the manual so they can't tell me what I need to mount it. If anyone
has the manual or the fence and can tell me what I need (brackets,
nuts, etc) to install, I'll be most grateful.

thanks,

danbo

toller

I dug out my alignarip manual. It is the old one piece rails; I think yours
is two piece?
Anyhow, they don't supply any mounting hardware, just the rails, fence, and
end caps for the rails.
All the mounting hardware is supposed to be from your old fence.
They show assembly with square head nuts, but don't give any sizes. (and
no, I am not taking mine apart to measure them)

So, you didn't get screwed on Ebay! Well, that's something isn't it?

"danbo" wrote in message
ups.com...
I bought the aforementioned rip fence on eBay, but much to my chagrin
it didn't come with anything except the fence and the rails (that is,
no mounting hardware). I talked to Sears parts and while they'll
gladly sell me the manual for $6, they don't physically have access to
the manual so they can't tell me what I need to mount it. If anyone
has the manual or the fence and can tell me what I need (brackets,
nuts, etc) to install, I'll be most grateful.

thanks,

danbo

Silvan

danbo wrote:

the manual so they can't tell me what I need to mount it. If anyone
has the manual or the fence and can tell me what I need (brackets,
nuts, etc) to install, I'll be most grateful.

It slides on something that bolts to the table. Bolts go through the table,
then into "something." There's a slit along the back of the extrusion, and
it slides over the threaded bits of the bolts, and is retained by this
"something." I can't remember if it was square head nuts, as suggested by
the other poster, or T-shaped nuts, or just regular hex nuts or what.

I'd say they were probably square in some fashion to keep them from turning
in the groove, come to think of it, so that puts us down to square head
nuts or maybe T-shaped nuts. If you can't come up with anything else, you
could probably make something out of BORG bar stock if you have a tap and
die set and a hacksaw or similar.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Rob Mills

"Silvan" wrote in message

I'd say they were probably square in some fashion to keep them from

turning
in the groove, come to think of it, so that puts us down to square head
nuts or maybe T-shaped nuts.

If it's like my 315-228390, the one with the cast iron extension with the
router mount that they closed out just before they came out with the cabinet
saws.
My manual shows 12 square head 5/16-18 X 3/4 bolts (part # 979879-001), 12
5/16 washers and 12 5/16-18 hex nuts. This was for a saw with extensions on
both sides.

I believe you can go to Sears web site and download a manual for a
315-228390 saw and have a look at the set up. That same fence was used on
quite a few saws if I'm not mistaken.
Rob Mills ~

Square head bolts. About 1/4" x 1 1/2" (IIRC--measure thru the table
edge to be sure). The head of the bolt slips into the channel at the
back of the rails, then thru the holes in the edge of the table and any
extensions. I don't remember washers, but they wouldn't be a bad idea.

Pretty quick to mount. If this doesn't make sense you could probably
find a PDF at the Sears/Craftsman website. Otherwise, ping me and I'll
try to find my manual and send you a copy.

I've been very pleased with this fence.

Dan

Charlie Self

Silvan responds:

danbo wrote:

the manual so they can't tell me what I need to mount it. If anyone
has the manual or the fence and can tell me what I need (brackets,
nuts, etc) to install, I'll be most grateful.

It slides on something that bolts to the table. Bolts go through the table,
then into "something." There's a slit along the back of the extrusion, and
it slides over the threaded bits of the bolts, and is retained by this
"something." I can't remember if it was square head nuts, as suggested by
the other poster, or T-shaped nuts, or just regular hex nuts or what.

Square head nuts. I just re-assembled my TS3650 Ridgid, which uses essentially
the same fence. If you can't wait, you've got a problem. Get the Craftsman
manual, and order the parts: sizing with square nuts is one problem; finding
the suckers in any size at any reasonable local spot is another, at least in my
area. The square heads slide into a groove on the back of the extrusion. If the
table is not exactly flat in front, you'll need some brass shim stock, too. T
nuts PROBABLY won't work...most are too long in one dimension, too narrow in
the other.

Also, getting the length (IIRC, about 1-1/2" but don't take that to the bank)
right is a problem. You can measure the slot on the rear of the extrusion to
get the head size, but...length and shank diameter are then iffy (of course,
get 5/16", with 2" shank length and extra washers, if you really want to do it
without the manual, once you know the head size). You might be able to grind
down larger hex nuts into fairly decent simulated "square" nuts that would
work. Go oversize on the head and grind two flats down to the size you need.

Charlie Self
"I think we agree, the past is over." George W. Bush
Chuck Hoffman

I recently upgraded my Craftsman table saw with an Align-a-Rip fence and,
while the manual does not call out the parts, it came with a bag full of
black 5/16-18 X 3/4 square head bolts, hex nuts and washers. The bolts
slide into the T-slot in the fence rail extrusion and are inserted thru the
bolt holes in the cast iron table (and extensions). The washers and hex
nuts are threaded onto them and tightened to hold the rail in place. Hex
head bolts will work in place of square head if you have to supply your own.

If your table saw is not a Sears, you may be on your own concerning the
mounting of the rails.