Default Cheap paint

Does anyone know where I could buy discounted paint in Glasgow? I have a
wooden fence almost 200 feet long that needs painted both sides. I can't
afford to buy a top quality paint therefore it was suggested to me that I
look for a shop/factory that sells paint that is discontinued? Do you know
anywhere in Glasgow or nearby that I could buy cheap paint from? Thanks for
any help.

Phisherman

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 10:38:49 GMT, "Scottie"
wrote:

Does anyone know where I could buy discounted paint in Glasgow? I have a
wooden fence almost 200 feet long that needs painted both sides. I can't
afford to buy a top quality paint therefore it was suggested to me that I
look for a shop/factory that sells paint that is discontinued? Do you know
anywhere in Glasgow or nearby that I could buy cheap paint from? Thanks for
any help.

Check out all the paint stores. They usually have quality paint
returns for $1 a can. Of course, you can't be too fussy about color
to get a good deal.
Doug Miller

In article , "Scottie" wrote:
Does anyone know where I could buy discounted paint in Glasgow? I have a
wooden fence almost 200 feet long that needs painted both sides. I can't
afford to buy a top quality paint

You probably won't find this response to be helpful, but... if you're on
a tight budget, you really can't afford *not* to buy top quality paint. Only
people who have money to throw away can afford to buy crappy paint. Top
quality paint rarely costs even twice as much as crappy paint, but (a) lasts
three to five times as long, and (b) requires half as many coats to do the
job. Which costs less: two coats of $12 paint, or one coat of $20 paint?

Ask at local hardware stores and paint stores about buying paint that was
mixed incorrectly (wrong color). Most paint dealers usually have a few cans
like that around. The downsides are that (a) your color choices are limited,
(b) the colors available aren't always particularly attractive, and (c) there
may not be enough of any one color to do the job. The upside is that you can
sometimes get top quality paint at a discount of 75 or 80 percent.

--
Regards,

Swingman

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

You probably won't find this response to be helpful, but... if you're on
a tight budget, you really can't afford *not* to buy top quality paint.

It is the best advice thus far. I see It's like the saying about tools
around here about buying the best and only crying once ... of course, I've
seen the inexperienced waste high quality paint by improper surface
preparation, so there is that to consider.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Member

Quote:
Does anyone know where I could buy discounted paint in Glasgow? I have a
wooden fence almost 200 feet long that needs painted both sides. I can't
afford to buy a top quality paint therefore it was suggested to me that I
look for a shop/factory that sells paint that is discontinued? Do you know
anywhere in Glasgow or nearby that I could buy cheap paint from? Thanks for
any help.
Check with your local landfill. Where I live, it is illegal to throw liquid waste into the landfill, so they have a special household hazardous waste station where they collect paint, oil, pesticides, etc. They have several shelves of "good" paint and chemicals that someone threw away, but that you can take home for re-use. I've picked up quite a few partially used but otherwise fine cans of paint and stain this way. I also get most of my lawn chemicals here. One time I even picked up a full unopened case of white latex calk - it worked perfectly, and another time I got a new gallon jug of agricultural strength roundup.

Also, check your local thrift stores - a lot of times people will drop off paint at un-manned collection sites. You can often get it for free as they will have to pay to dispose of it.

From experience, if you mix enough different colors of latex paint together you often end up with a dirty beige/brown color. Also, make sure that you stick to the same general type of paint if you are collecting partial cans and mixing them together...i.e. don't mix latex with oil.

Good luck!